Do you think Glastonbury 2021 will go ahead?

250 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Glastonbury 2021 will go ahead?

• Yes, and it will be business as usual.
    • Yes, with some minor requirements (hygiene warnings, extra hand gel).
    • Yes, with some moderate/major requirements (face masks, distancing, temperature checks).
    • No, Coronavirus will still be too prevalent and mass gatherings will still be banned.
    • No, Coronavirus will still be too much of a risk and the organisers will choose not to go ahead.
    • No, for another reason.
    • I can't even guess.

9 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Temperature checks would just be window dressing. They’d only catch a sliver of potential Covid cases, those with fairly mild symptoms. Considering at current levels only about 100 - 150 people would have Covid out of everyone entering the gates and they’d all mostly be asymptomatic, it would be a glorious waste of time. 

Temperature checks are total window dressing but it seems like everywhere is adopting them. It is very strange!.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Unfortunately it's true. As is your comment about the average Brit. There are too many people around who think corona won't affect them but those who've been in the thick of it know better. At th

We're not doing this "pessimism means you don't deserve to go" bollocks again are we? 

Posted Images

Given that the deadline for a decision is looking like March, I'm not 100%. I want it to happen more than anything but I am a pessimist so what can you do 😆

30 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

I know it seems really grim, but let me put it another way: no temperate checks at the gate, someone with COVID is on site, half the festival then picks up a still-lingering virus, it's all over the news for weeks and Glastonbury never shakes the publicity of being a petri dish.

Might make T day easier!

Just take some paracetamol that will drop your temperature. 

I was in hospital with pancreatitis and they wouldn’t let me go because my temperature was too high. So they gave me some paracetamol then checked my temperature an hour later and was discharged. 

I am a pretty pessimistic person, but all I can do is hope and pray that there is a way for the festival to safely go ahead next year. Some days I see a bunch of good news on treatments and vaccines, and I feel positive. Some days I just see the news about refreshed outbreaks and increased cases and I feel very wary.

All I know is I am not looking forward to a new one of these threads popping up every couple of weeks to ask the same question 🙄 we've hardly got our heads in the sand... we are very aware the coronavirus could cause the festival not to happen (because it already did!) but it would be nice to be able to imagine for a few weeks at a time that we might have a light to look forward to at the end of this unrelenting darkness.

• Upvote 1

I naively thought 2020 would go ahead when we were in December/January. I wouldn't even like to say about next year. They way it's dragging on and people are crying out for lockdown extensions and media hype it really wouldn't shock me at this stage if it didn't :( I hope I'm proved wrong because it's really getting to me now.

As someone that will likely only do one Glastonbury in my lifetime because of the expense (and the difficulty of organizing a group to go with me out of country my age), my biggest concern in regards to this is a Glastonbury demanding facemasks and social distancing. 

I live in NYC and it’s just unpleasant to be outside for me between the tension between mask wearers and non-mask wearers and the impossibility of social distancing in a city as population dense as NYC and the people who are trying (and failing) to social distance and are stressed about it and the people who don’t care or notice. To be clear I don’t really care one way or the other, I wear the mask and try to social distance because that’s what’s been asked of me, but it’s the tension that I notice and that in turn makes me tense. It just sucks right now.

I really don’t want to go to a Glastonbury that has the vibe like I am describing above. My current plan is to buy plane tickets again, reserve hotels again, and keep my tickets, and assume the festival will happen business as usual. 

If they announce “Glastonbury with social distancing” or “Glastonbury with face masks” i certainly hope that’s before April because I’m very confused what I’ll do. I know how hard it is to get a ticket and I’m very happy me and my group have tickets but... 

• Upvote 2
18 minutes ago, D-Low said:

I naively thought 2020 would go ahead when we were in December/January. I wouldn't even like to say about next year. They way it's dragging on and people are crying out for lockdown extensions and media hype it really wouldn't shock me at this stage if it didn't :( I hope I'm proved wrong because it's really getting to me now.

Yeah I was on the optimistic side of things right up until the cancellation. When the line up was released I was convinced it was going ahead (even though by then it was quite clearly was unlikely). 

Ah well, ever the optimist.. I am confident we will be back to mostly normal my this time next year.

1 minute ago, assorted said:

As someone that will likely only do one Glastonbury in my lifetime because of the expense (and the difficulty of organizing a group to go with me out of country my age), my biggest concern in regards to this is a Glastonbury demanding facemasks and social distancing. 

I live in NYC and it’s just unpleasant to be outside for me between the tension between mask wearers and non-mask wearers and the impossibility of social distancing in a city as population dense as NYC and the people who are trying (and failing) to social distance and are stressed about it and the people who don’t care or notice. To be clear I don’t really care one way or the other, I wear the mask and try to social distance because that’s what’s been asked of me, but it’s the tension that I notice and that in turn makes me tense. It just sucks right now.

I really don’t want to go to a Glastonbury that has the vibe like I am describing above. My current plan is to buy plane tickets again, reserve hotels again, and keep my tickets, and assume the festival will happen business as usual. 

If they announce “Glastonbury with social distancing” or “Glastonbury with face masks” i certainly hope that’s before April because I’m very confused what I’ll do. I know how hard it is to get a ticket and I’m very happy me and my group have tickets but... 

Face masks I can see, but social distancing of any sort would be 100% impossible. 

14 minutes ago, assorted said:

I don't know about social distancing, but I am gathering from your post that you have never been to Glastonbury before? I'm sure you know this already but I can't even begin to explain the gulf of difference in 'vibe' between NYC and Glastonbury. For a large part, attendees respect the will of the festival. There will always be some dickheads who ignore the messaging, but if Glastonbury were to say "please/you must wear face masks", a significant majority would comply, and those who didn't would be shamed/tutted at in the very British way we do. There would be no 'tensions'.

I fear I'm not going to be able to explain this adequately, but if you are considering not attending Glastonbury on the basis of tensions between people being attentive to the dangers of coronavirus/those who are not, rather than just out of concern for the coronavirus, then you are (in my view) mistaken in just what the atmosphere of Glastonbury is like.

I hope this isn't coming off as belittling - not my intent. If you've got the chance to go to Glastonbury, I just don't want to think of anyone giving that up because they think it's the sort of place that could actually be spoiled by the dickheads. It doesn't work that way.

• Upvote 2
14 minutes ago, WestCountryGirl said:

I don't know about social distancing, but I am gathering from your post that you have never been to Glastonbury before? I'm sure you know this already but I can't even begin to explain the gulf of difference in 'vibe' between NYC and Glastonbury. For a large part, attendees respect the will of the festival. There will always be some dickheads who ignore the messaging, but if Glastonbury were to say "please/you must wear face masks", a significant majority would comply, and those who didn't would be shamed/tutted at in the very British way we do. There would be no 'tensions'.

I fear I'm not going to be able to explain this adequately, but if you are considering not attending Glastonbury on the basis of tensions between people being attentive to the dangers of coronavirus/those who are not, rather than just out of concern for the coronavirus, then you are (in my view) mistaken in just what the atmosphere of Glastonbury is like.

I hope this isn't coming off as belittling - not my intent. If you've got the chance to go to Glastonbury, I just don't want to think of anyone giving that up because they think it's the sort of place that could actually be spoiled by the dickheads. It doesn't work that way.

You are correct, I’ve never been to Glastonbury. 

For me, the tension is from the sort of impossibility of all of it. To take your example, if Glastonbury said “please/you must wear face masks’... how does that work if people are drinking and eating all the time? That’s what I mean by impossible. Like the request just isn’t possible realistically, and personally I feel tense when witnessing that, to me it creates tension. And, honestly, the tension in my head is seeing lots of people drinking and eating without masks and not social distancing and Knowing there are other people thinking “those people are dickheads.” Like, that’s the exact tension for me in a nutshell. 

And you are again correct I’ve no clue what the atmosphere of Glastonbury is like. 

You are correct one more time that I’m not concerned about attending or not attending in terms of the coronavirus itself. If they allow it to happen that’s good enough for me and I’ll go and if not, not. 

Unsubstantiated opinion only, not specific to Glasto and I’ve got no more detail than I’ve written below. Please don’t nail me to a cross.

I spoke with a close relative who works in events management in the UK. Their opinion, and the word they’re getting from the bigger players such as Live Nation, is that next years festivals will be.... ON!!

• Upvote 2

I really don't like that this is already a concern! 

If Glasto doesn't happen next year I dread to think of what next year will look like in terms of other things shut/ not happening!