When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

I have to agree, it's pretty unfair to tell people in their 20s that they can't go on holiday because they might bring back a variant of a disease that that will then kill people over 50, but people over 50 are allowed to go on holiday because they've been given the vaccine first. 

(And as someone mentioned earlier, it's totally illogical, because the only variant that we'd be worried about someone bringing back would be one that avoided the vaccine - ie. one that those vaccinated can still catch and get ill with)

(And y'know, the vaccine helps reduce your chance of catching it and passing it on, but not to the same extent it stops you getting ill, best case is what, 70-80%? That's a decent reduction in risk to individuals at say a sporting event, but if we're talking about stopping variants getting into the country it's nowhere near enough, as we're talking about millions of holiday-makers - it won't make that much of a difference if 200 people come back with it rather than 1000 - once it's in and established it's in)

5 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Can't they find a compromise where younger people who have had not had 2nd jab offer only need the one to have same freedoms as older doubled jabbed people?

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Answering myself...I guess might be less inclined to get 2nd jab then.

Add a testing option though? As in prove you've had one and test I mean 

Edited by efcfanwirral

1 hour ago, danmarks said:

But genuine question. If two 70year olds go on holiday because they can before younger people can- what difference would it make if they didnt go until everyone could? Apart from making sure places are fuller and so guessing more expensive?

My feeling is that the last year has been a very scary time for people in vulnerable groups and if they can have a holiday good for them.
I have kids and so will be holidaying in the UK this year, also didn’t manage to get Glastonbury tickets, but happy that others will be there in 2022 and hopefully my time will come again to enjoy Worthy farm.
If people can have some happiness in these difficult times, good for them 👍 😊

Edited by Mr Boo
  • Upvote 2

16 hours ago, Ozanne said:

Can we accelerate AZ any more? Keeping the minimum 8 week gap? Short of proactively contacting people to try and get them to bring their second dose forward there's not much to be done is there? It's already an option for everyone.

Pfizer/Moderna is a different/interesting take - give it only needs a 4-week gap, if these doses are being kept to ensure there's no supply issues for second doses, we should be getting them in arms after the minimum 4-week gap.

That is to say, if the strategy is to always have enough Pfizer/Moderna on hand to cover the second jabs of anyone who has had a first, in case of supply issues, then they should be done at the minimum time interval. If we're relying on future deliveries for those second jabs then that's a different case.

16 hours ago, rivalschools.price said:

Why do people talk about 30000 Scottish fans being ‘allowed’ to have a massive party in London?

They weren't stopped either though. Nor were they really discouraged - I think someone mentioned extra trains were put on even?

14 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Not sure it has to be that way. It’s like those who got Glastonbury tickets not going in sacrifice to those who didn’t. 

I know this is a festival forum and it's sacrilege, but loads of people do that every year when they have more than 5 people they go with and one group gets tickets and the other doesn't.

Scrap the amber list altogether, imo. All arrivals need a negative test before flying to the UK anyway. The percentage of people catching covid after this test and bringing it back into the UK must be minimal anyway (maybe keep a PCR on days 2 and 8 to catch those who are).

Just keep a red list of known hotspots and chuck them in a hotel quarantine. For anyone else flying into the UK, surely a negative test before travelling should be proof enough and we can scrap the self-isolation for amber list countries. 

5 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Pagel is back 🙂 and she wants a chufty badge 🙂 

I think everything but masks in schools sounds reasonable to be fair.

That’s not a bad thread. In particular I agree with her that we SHOULD be taking the Lambda variant very seriously and I’d like to see South America slapped on the red list (if not already).

On the face nappies in schools point, I’d be fine with it as long as we can find some conclusive evidence that they actually work. I’m yet to see evidence that face nappies reduce transmission although if that is produced then yeah go ahead and reintroduce them in schools. 

I'm struggling to identify exactly what Pagel actually wants, to be honest. This seems to be the crux her argument:

I think it's wrong and irresponsible of the govt and others to be fine with thousands - potentially soon tens of thousands - of new cases a day here just because we likely won't bring the NHS to near collapse again.

We should be trying to get cases *down* by supporting & protecting vax program by adding public health measures like supported isolation, support for ventilation, masks in schools, better communication.

AND tightening border measures to prevent importation of new variants.

But she hasn't really articulated how any of the measures she's implying ought to be taken have been proven to help. Supporting isolation, support for ventilation, better communication (whatever that means) and even masks in schools seem to be measures that can quite easily be taken without the need for an ongoing lock down.

The UK's freedom from restrictions will cause an unfortunate but entirely manageable wave of cases, largely among low risk people, among a heavily vaccinated population.

Borders are already pretty tightly managed, aren't they? What am I missing?

5 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Is the Scottish FA for real? We've got players having to isolate but Gilmour's team mates don't? Confused.

They have tested negative as well. It just highlights the complete illogical madness of the world we live in at the moment.... 

1 minute ago, kalifire said:

I'm struggling to identify exactly what Pagel actually wants, to be honest. This seems to be the crux her argument:

But she hasn't really articulated how any of the measures she's implying ought to be taken have been proven to help. Supporting isolation, support for ventilation, better communication (whatever that means) and even masks in schools seem to be measures that can quite easily be taken without the need for an ongoing lock down.

The UK's freedom from restrictions will cause an unfortunate but entirely manageable wave of cases, largely among low risk people, among a heavily vaccinated population.

Borders are already pretty tightly managed, aren't they? What am I missing?

Is she asking for lockdown in there? I took that as alternatives to social distancing. compared to some of her other threads ( and her mad mate Deepti) she seems fairly reasonable there. 

9 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Is the Scottish FA for real? We've got players having to isolate but Gilmour's team mates don't? Confused.

What do they mean by isolate? Will they still be able to train somewhere? Because if not I guess a week in a room on your own isn't exactly conducive to being on top from for the next round; if they can't train are they basically out of the squad now?

1 minute ago, TalkShow Bob said:

What do they mean by isolate? Will they still be able to train somewhere? Because if not I guess a week in a room on your own isn't exactly conducive to being on top from for the next round; if they can't train are they basically out of the squad now?

Chilwell and Mount will isolate and train individually in private areas at England’s training base St. George’s Park, with the rest of the squad returning there after tonight’s fixture against Czech Republic at Wembley.

Looks like the holiday did her the world of good and she’s stopped promoting vaccine ineffectiveness alarmism.

Point 20 is an important one for me that doesn’t get talked about enough. If we want to clear the backlog of non-covid ops and procedures from the NHS it has to get to nowhere near the peaks again. It certainly can’t anywhere close to a place where we were repurposing paediatric wards and setting overflows up in hospital car parks like last winter.

Still not convinced by how she portrays long Covid, ignoring the range and severity of symptoms with it.

11 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Close contact is within 2m for 15 minutes, it's perfectly possible to train and get changed without doing that. It's isn't the SFA's fault that Mount, Chillwell and Gilmour were all having a cuddle.

Just now, JoeyT said:

Chilwell and Mount will isolate and train individually in private areas at England’s training base St. George’s Park, with the rest of the squad returning there after tonight’s fixture against Czech Republic at Wembley.

Cheers - though still missing a week of training with the team will put them and England on the back foot

1 minute ago, JoeyT said:

If it was a normal person they wouldn't even be allowed to go for a walk. The hypocrisy around covid recently is hitting another level. Another reason most restrictions need scrapping as soon as possible - any kind of new normal just creates even more opportunities for the rich to have different rules