When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

18 minutes ago, hodgey123 said:

How can he talk up the possibility of further winter restrictions but then insist 19 July is a 'terminus point'? The man is an absolute joke.

I wonder what type of restrictions they would bring in during the winter if we are all fully vaccinated?

Edited by Ozanne

5 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I wonder what type of restrictions they would bring in during the winter if we are all fully vaccinated?

Unless a scary vaccine-beating variant emerges I can't see why any more restrictions will be needed after July 19th. 

37 minutes ago, zahidf said:

My Main concern is that normalising lockdown measure to 'prevent the NHS being over-crowded' is a bad thing overall and will be exploited to making people resent the NHS overall and make privatisation more likely 

Why not resent the govt instead ? 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Only thing they can do is shut hospitality and shops again really which unless I'm mistaken our economy couldn't handle.

Fully vaccinated people aren't going to stop meeting each other so the only thing they would have in their weaponry is to try to limit that in premises outside of a home environment I would imagine.

1 minute ago, JoeyT said:

Only thing they can do is shut hospitality and shops again really which unless I'm mistaken our economy couldn't handle.

Fully vaccinated people aren't going to stop meeting each other so the only thing they would have in their weaponry is to try to limit that in premises outside of a home environment I would imagine.

If they close hospitality again, it's gonna create a lot of anger especially after they reopened it was deemed 'irreversible'.

The relentless pursuit of forthcoming stuff to worry about is really draining me right now. We're not even out of these current restrictions and already the media are pushing for quotes about winter and how fucking bleak it'll be and etc etc, and Boris and all the talking heads are more than willing to give everything they want to the journalists. It's just endlessly, endlessly exhausting.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Beyond masks on public transport they won't. What they will do is use the 'threat' of restrictions to nudge people to make small lifestyle changes to help keep things in check a little. Flu doesn't have the same sort of exponential growth - so smaller measures can be more effective. They may encourage the older population to shield themselves, and suggest people try and limit unnecessary contact with others, and just be wary.

I think we will actually see a lot of benefit from people just having a better understanding of how this stuff works now and thinking twice about things. Maybe you don't visit your elderly relative the day after you've been down the front at a gig. 

I for one would never have given that a second thought in times past, but it seems to me people limiting their contacts for a few days before visiting elderly relatives over winter could hugely drive numbers down - and I don't think people will even need to be told to do that.

53 minutes ago, Homer said:

Had to go to AandE on Saturday afternoon (football injury - as per). Anyway, the very lovely ambulance staff and nurse all told me last week was the busiest week they have ever had. Said it was partly due to covid and partly due to loads of people delaying things because of covid. (This was Lewisham hospital in south London.)

So maybe the extra lockdown is needed? I don't have an opinion either way (other than the obligatory mention that I have lost my ticket to the final of the euros).

Would need a lot longer than 4 weeks if its for that purpose! 

52 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

"I see nothing in the data that would cause us to delay June 21st" 

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I can’t see why they need any restrictions in the winter unless there is a nasty variant especially with possible boosters in the Autumn as well 

I think they're worried about covid + nasty flu strain + other respiratory shite where people have less natural immunity. Anyway, we'll have to see, everything might be fine and we'll be roasting chestnuts and drinking mulled wine and getting way too pissed at office parties.

43 minutes ago, hodgey123 said:

How can he talk up the possibility of further winter restrictions but then insist 19 July is a 'terminus point'? The man is an absolute joke.

All this talk does not make any sense to me like this pathetic titled "freedom day" (I get the Churchill association in that but oh man) and its delay. Wouldn`t it have been wiser just to say "June 21st" will be the day when we decide (driven by data) what else will be possible. Then speaking of hard winter restrictions and opening up at the end of July at the same time and does the UK have the virus with the dominant delta already? maybe he is afraid that people will bring the Kent one back from Europe. Oh man ... 

27 minutes ago, Euphoricape said:

If they close hospitality again, it's gonna create a lot of anger especially after they reopened it was deemed 'irreversible'.

I don’t think they’ll close it - unless something awful happens - but capacity limits/table service in restaurants/booked time slots could all be here to stay.

34 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

The relentless pursuit of forthcoming stuff to worry about is really draining me right now. We're not even out of these current restrictions and already the media are pushing for quotes about winter and how fucking bleak it'll be and etc etc, and Boris and all the talking heads are more than willing to give everything they want to the journalists. It's just endlessly, endlessly exhausting.

This x1000! Couldn't put it better myself. So drained.

7 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

I don’t think they’ll close it - unless something awful happens - but capacity limits/table service in restaurants/booked time slots could all be here to stay.

All those things are just extended death though.

They've been tolerated as a short term measure with an eye to being able to run at full speed in the foreseeable future, but if any of those are kept around past the summer then the economics of the resturant and pub trade will need to dramatically change - meaning they'll need to either lower costs (on what's already a fairly low margin business) or significantly raise prices (which will likely drive customers away).

If any of those things are going to be mandatory past the summer, then the Government would effectively be telling half the hospitality sector to close down entirely. I'm certain that quite a few places are either running at a loss right now or being propped up only by Deliveroo/UE business but are doing so because they believe that they need to ride it out so they can run normally later in the year.

1 hour ago, Homer said:

What's an ambivert?! Are they constantly ambivalent? Must be hard work. (One of my pet peeves is people misunderstanding what ambivalent means.)

I think it means they are both at different times, like ambidextrous for hands. Sounds a bit like having your cake and eating it to me! 

6 minutes ago, incident said:

All those things are just extended death though.

They've been tolerated as a short term measure with an eye to being able to run at full speed in the foreseeable future, but if any of those are kept around past the summer then the economics of the resturant and pub trade will need to dramatically change - meaning they'll need to either lower costs (on what's already a fairly low margin business) or significantly raise prices (which will likely drive customers away).

If any of those things are going to be mandatory past the summer, then the Government would effectively be telling half the hospitality sector to close down entirely. I'm certain that quite a few places are either running at a loss right now or being propped up only by Deliveroo/UE business but are doing so because they believe that they need to ride it out so they can run normally later in the year.

yup. Hopefully they just mean masks and WFH restrictions rather than social distancing to any great degree 

But then i dont think people will comply post double jabbing

32 minutes ago, Hannibal Schmitt said:

All this talk does not make any sense to me like this pathetic titled "freedom day" (I get the Churchill association in that but oh man) and its delay. Wouldn`t it have been wiser just to say "June 21st" will be the day when we decide (driven by data) what else will be possible. Then speaking of hard winter restrictions and opening up at the end of July at the same time and does the UK have the virus with the dominant delta already? maybe he is afraid that people will bring the Kent one back from Europe. Oh man ... 

All this crap about 'Freedom' day was always for the tabloids and they obliged.

Joe public who read the headlines only think that we will be getting full freedom when we never were.

I wish they were able to just be, as you say, honest about it all.

I would rather know now that there were no festivals happening than sit here and wait while some selected ones were run as 'test events' when they pretty much know they will not happen anyway.

It is almost like they are delaying so that organisers cancel - so like everything, it is not the governments fault.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2