When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

48 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Here’s the actual paper in the lancet...pretty spectacular and beyond what many dared hope...(though I don’t think it proves the DM headline at all (since lockdowns were the only tool available (and a blunt one at that) when we didn’t have vaccines in the arms of all the vulnerable people)...it does however quite clearly demonstrate how this ends, sooner rather than later for those of us lucky enough to live in the parts of the world getting the bulk of the early vaccines)...

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(21)00947-8/fulltext

32 minutes ago, OG said:

Fucks sake I'm not saying that, if anything i think I'm saying stay away from it "in the cold light of day"

Hello OG,

I would appear to have offended you. However, I'm not really sure how and why. I can confirm 100% that there was no desire to, if that's of any assistance. I am stoned and probably getting the wrong end of all sticks. I've just been away from here posting to someone else (who is on here, but not that often). It would appear that my post to him was a little / tad only disturbing. I really don't know how I'm achieving it, but do not deny that I am.  🙂

30 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello OG,

I would appear to have offended you. However, I'm not really sure how and why. I can confirm 100% that there was no desire to, if that's of any assistance. I am stoned and probably getting the wrong end of all sticks. I've just been away from here posting to someone else (who is on here, but not that often). It would appear that my post to him was a little / tad only disturbing. I really don't know how I'm achieving it, but do not deny that I am.  🙂

Maybe I worded it wrong but you have caused no offence in the slightest. Maybe fucks sake when written appears quite aggressive and doesn't convey the sentiment in which it was meant. Maybe oh dear god would of been better fitting 

11 minutes ago, OG said:

Maybe I worded it wrong but you have caused no offence in the slightest. Maybe fucks sake when written appears quite aggressive and doesn't convey the sentiment in which it was meant. Maybe oh dear god would of been better fitting 

Thanks. That has clarified it for me -or at least I think it has.

It certainly seems a little 'heated' around here. Then again, there are differing factions. The reason why I said that I may look at it again in the clear light of day, is that I currently can't see a side that is wrong. Maybe I'll rectify having a limited connection with this thread. Maybe I wont. In the name of all that is holy, how am I supposed to know!?

Anyway, going back, way back, and back a bit further than that even - how did I break out of the asylum?

The answer is that I didn't. 

9 hours ago, JoeyT said:

Forum favourites Independent Sage quite rightly taking a battering from all angles in regards to their fictitious video. Are we now all united in our disdain for them or do some remain unconvinced?

I’ll answer in good faith.

The problem is that they are now been framed as the mythical Centralised entity (Science Antifa?) trying to get in the way of freedom and letting life get back to normal when the truth is they are just a group of individuals with very little power under the one banner, with a mix of some sensible voices and plenty of non-nonsensical ones. We don’t heap shit on SAGE even though Theresa Marteau is saying things like “We should stomp and clap instead of chant at the football”. We ignore her and listen to the ones that provide sensible solutions.

They have opinions, they get debated and challenged, we move forward to find a way out of this mess. The ones with a history of nonsense start to get ignored or mocked and we pay attention to the ones with decent balanced analysis. People can add whatever weight they see fit to those opinions based on their own analysis and use them to help their own views. I’ve morphed a little back towards Covid centrist from Zero Covid acolyte thanks to some of the well-reasoned posters on here. The problem as with all things now is that everything turns into an adversarial competition, my team vs your team and the debate turns into petty point scoring rather than progressing the discussion. We forgive the mistakes of those we agree with while continuing to point out the ones of those we disagree with. (eg. This thread. It’s always such a disappointment to wake up to multiple new pages of dumpster fires)

I think they’d be better off to cull some of the worst offenders, but that would defeat the purpose of an open collaborative group and unfortunately the nature of things is that the actions of the individuals still get associated with the group. I didn’t get to see this video they tweeted before it was taken down but it doesn’t seem to have been beneficial to anything in any way.

In answer to the original question, I’ll continue to judge whatever they say based on it’s own merits. I do think it’s a good thing to have some cautious voices out there, although there are obviously members who are way too risk adverse. It’s still obvious that there are policy mistakes to be made in the rush to reopening, though It’s increasingly apparent that for the UK, you may have legitimately nailed the transition out about as possibly well as you could. Whether these cautious voices have helped temper the rush to reopen or blind optimism that categorised the early decision making is up for debate I guess.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 8

2 hours ago, Gregfc15 said:

I’ll answer in good faith.

The problem is that they are now been framed as the mythical Centralised entity (Science Antifa?) trying to get in the way of freedom and letting life get back to normal when the truth is they are just a group of individuals with very little power under the one banner, with a mix of some sensible voices and plenty of non-nonsensical ones. We don’t heap shit on SAGE even though Theresa Marteau is saying things like “We should stomp and clap instead of chant at the football”. We ignore her and listen to the ones that provide sensible solutions.

They have opinions, they get debated and challenged, we move forward to find a way out of this mess. The ones with a history of nonsense start to get ignored or mocked and we pay attention to the ones with decent balanced analysis. People can add whatever weight they see fit to those opinions based on their own analysis and use them to help their own views. I’ve morphed a little back towards Covid centrist from Zero Covid acolyte thanks to some of the well-reasoned posters on here. The problem as with all things now is that everything turns into an adversarial competition, my team vs your team and the debate turns into petty point scoring rather than progressing the discussion. We forgive the mistakes of those we agree with while continuing to point out the ones of those we disagree with. (eg. This thread. It’s always such a disappointment to wake up to multiple new pages of dumpster fires)

I think they’d be better off to cull some of the worst offenders, but that would defeat the purpose of an open collaborative group and unfortunately the nature of things is that the actions of the individuals still get associated with the group. I didn’t get to see this video they tweeted before it was taken down but it doesn’t seem to have been beneficial to anything in any way.

In answer to the original question, I’ll continue to judge whatever they say based on it’s own merits. I do think it’s a good thing to have some cautious voices out there, although there are obviously members who are way too risk adverse. It’s still obvious that there are policy mistakes to be made in the rush to reopening, though It’s increasingly apparent that for the UK, you may have legitimately nailed the transition out about as possibly well as you could. Whether these cautious voices have helped temper the rush to reopen or blind optimism that categorised the early decision making is up for debate I guess.

Excellent post mate.

9 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Universal in Orlando getting rid of pointless temp checks and moving to 3 foot distancing.  You still need  fave nappies.

Looks like they want to increase capacity at the theme parks 

Disney phasing temp checks out in a couple of weeks, too.

7 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

I wish I could virtually hand out some mdma to you all.

On a serious point, some people need to take a break from this thread I think the top four posters have about 35k posts between them which is nearly half of the replies! 

Nah, we're nearly into the final season...thread gets binned on June21st (at least I hope it does).

7 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

I wish I could virtually hand out some mdma to you all.

On a serious point, some people need to take a break from this thread I think the top four posters have about 35k posts between them which is nearly half of the replies! 

Erm … I guess that’s me … I like to think that my posts are balanced and respectful which during a pandemic where emotions run high is often quite a difficult thing to do … given some of the language and phrases flying about in here ….  Respect for others and inflamatory language means some really need to look at themselves as to why they are doing it .. and why they are posting it … given the suffering we have ALL been through in very different ways 

40 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Only snide downvotes from people who rarely have the intelligence to post... oh and there you are 😜

I apologise if my downvotes come across as snide, they are mainly targeted at statements that I see as needlessly antagonistic, there plenty of people who post all sorts of things that don't agree with but I don't see that as worthy of the red button but you often come on here looking for a fight. 

I could reply directly but that would lead to boring navel gazing posts like this one that most people really don't want to read. The upvote, downvote system is a way for the community on here to police the tone of the conversation in a subtle way. If it is causing you distress I'm sorry I'd hoped they'd nudge you away from some of your more aggressive tone but if you feel put upon and incapable of modifying your behaviour then I can of course stop rather than cause any more harm.

3 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Australia and NZ aren't playing around, are they? With this super cautious approach I can't imagine tourism being reinstated any time in the near future  

Australia is interesting to watch at the moment as you have competing Covid ideologies between the different states and a federal government that can't decide which way it wants to go. The borders projections have started to push to 2022 now, especially with the slow vaccine rollout.

WA and Queensland (and NZ) with full zero covid adherence, snap lockdowns as soon as there is a case vs New South Wales trusting the process and testing, tracking and isolating to stay on top of things. The NSW premier was begging the other premiers to leave the borders open, but i'm sure the walls will start to go up in the next few hours. 

Apologies if this was done here previously. But am I reading this right? It seems to me the Government were told closing hospitality would have very little impact on Covid and would negatively affect young and BAME people. But they did it anyway? Am I reading that right?

Link

4 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Australia and NZ aren't playing around, are they? With this super cautious approach I can't imagine tourism being reinstated any time in the near future  

It's interesting in that clearly their strategy has worked in suppressing / eliminating the virus and it's no doubt the extra freedoms this has allowed citizens is much more palatable compared to what most of the rest of the world has endured. 

You'd think there will come a point however when mood may swing due to the restricting rules of not being able to leave the country whilst potentially watching many other countries returning to free movement?

My sister said the vaccination programme in Western Australia is dire and very slow moving.

7 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

It's interesting in that clearly their strategy has worked in suppressing / eliminating the virus and it's no doubt the extra freedoms this has allowed citizens is much more palatable compared to what most of the rest of the world has endured. 

You'd think there will come a point however when mood may swing due to the restricting rules of not being able to leave the country whilst potentially watching many other countries returning to free movement?

My sister said the vaccination programme in Western Australia is dire and very slow moving.

Yeah, and this is where I've fallen away a little from the Zero-Covid view (partly shaped by discussion on here). I still think unchecked community transmission is bad, and that you need systems (TTI, Travel restrictions) to manage it, but the beauty of my GFL obsession and thus this forum is that just how well the vaccines work is very apparent to me. Zero covid is fine when you have no mitigation, but the vaccines are like bringing a machine gun to a knife fight and the transition from a cases = bad mindset to worrying more about the adverse effects most is a conversation that Australia and NZ have yet to really tackle with any great success.  There is definitely going to be a tipping point later this year where some normality starts to resume in the US/UK/Europe.

I've likened it to a downhill snowboard race. Australia and NZ have been slow and steady and were leading the pack, but have fallen on their heads on the final jump. Meanwhile the US/Uk/Europe couldn't stay upright initially, are flying home and going to pass us on the finish line while we are still trying to get up.

So if the vaccine rollout doesn’t go well in Aus and NZ (which I guess is likely) then in the next few months when most of the other developed nations will be back to levels of ‘normality’ they very possibly could still be locking down for 3-5 days due to 2/3 cases in the community? 

Just now, st dan said:

So if the vaccine rollout doesn’t go well in Aus and NZ (which I guess is likely) then in the next few months when most of the other developed nations will be back to levels of ‘normality’ they very possibly could still be locking down for 3-5 days due to 2/3 cases in the community? 

theres also the balance of how many 3-5 day lockdowns equal the long lockdowns that we have had .... have some areas been out of lockdown this year ?