When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

20 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

One thing that I don’t love about the idea of booster jabs in the autumn is that it affords the Helen Lovejoy tribute acts in Fake SAGE (and several regulars on this thread) ANOTHER opportunity to kick the can back.

They’ve gone from “lockdown until a vaccine is discovered” to “lockdown until the vulnerable have been vaccinated” to “lockdown until all over 50’s have been vaccinated” to “lockdown until all over 50’s are fully vaccinated” to “lockdown until everyone is vaccinated” to “lockdown until everyone is fully vaccinated” to now “ease lockdown but keep social distancing until all over 50’s have a booster shot against VaR1antzzz!!!”

In actual fact the number of people dying with covid every day is less than the (socially distanced) capacity of the tiny Tesco express round the corner from where I live. The pandemic is over as a public health crisis in the UK and all but the tiniest baseline measures should be scrapped imminently.

I’d keep Test & Trace, border controls with a RAG status and I’d limit big indoor events until we can get a covid certification scheme rolled out. But pubs should be fully open, indoor private gatherings of any size allowed, face nappies binned and social distancing placed firmly in the scrapyard where it belongs, and I’d do it from 17th May. 

Whilst not everyone’s opinions align on certain things I think it’s fair to say no one has suggested that social distancing needs to continue until booster jabs have been received?

I’m all for debate but your trying to fight yourself in a phone box saying things like that.

Just now, JoeyT said:

Whilst not everyone’s opinions align on certain things I think it’s fair to say no one has suggested that social distancing needs to continue until booster jabs have been received?

I’m all for debate but your trying to fight yourself in a phone box saying things like that.

@DeanoL suggested this a few days back 

27 minutes ago, zahidf said:

It’s great to see no spread of COVID after these tests have been carried out but if Hancock says in the Commons they will do something then they should really do it or come back and explain why.  

3 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

It’s great to see no spread of COVID after these tests have been carried out but if Hancock says in the Commons they will do something then they should really do it or come back and explain why.  

It's down to PHE and they say they will do surge testing if it becomes a variant of concern (which it isn't at the moment)

12 minutes ago, zahidf said:

It's down to PHE and they say they will do surge testing if it becomes a variant of concern (which it isn't at the moment)

If read the article PHE saying they're doing targetted tests...testing those who have been in contact with people who have come in from India carrying the variant. So, Hancock got it wrong...but not sure it matters at this point.

14 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Lol fake SAGE

A screenshot taken from that video:

6C75FBE3-8745-4648-A19F-31A0C1D81CC9.thumb.jpeg.f3c4c7f0c7410f020258d626529513e6.jpeg

I’ve seen it said on here several times that if people stopped posting their tweets then they wouldn’t take notice, but here they are clearly celebrating the fact that they are reaching large audiences, and spreading their hysteria and adding to the ‘Covid anxiety’ that some are experiencing as we exit these restrictions.
It’s a very dangerous game they are playing, and they really need to stop being given airtime to creating more panic for those at risk at this stage of the pandemic. They are all very much enjoying their time in the limelight, and this mild ‘celebrity’ status they have gained. 

Edited by st dan

2 minutes ago, st dan said:

A screenshot taken from that video:

6C75FBE3-8745-4648-A19F-31A0C1D81CC9.thumb.jpeg.f3c4c7f0c7410f020258d626529513e6.jpeg

I’ve seen it said on here several times that if people stopped posting their tweets then they wouldn’t take notice, but here they are clearly celebrating the fact that they are reaching large audiences, and spreading their hysteria and adding to the ‘Covid anxiety’ that some are experiencing as we exit these restrictions.
It’s a very dangerous game they are playing, and they really need to stop being given airtime to creating more panic for those at risk at this stage of the pandemic. 

They are absolute publicity whores. No different to love island contestants, social media influencers and whatever the latest wannabe famous attention seekers are doing.

Their time in the limelight is nearly over thanks to the vaccines absolutely slaughtering the pandemic out of existence in the UK. That’s great news for us, but the fake SAGE publicity whores are dreading the inevitable end of their triweekly paid slots on GMB, large social media followings, paid Zoom appearances etc. That’s why they’re trying to scaremonger the idea that the pandemic is a going concern. 

31 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

£££. There’s your answer. 

I don’t get that. What do they need money for? Their Zoom subscriptions? They’re not custodians of secret scientific knowledge - pretty much everything related to this is public domain at the moment. Surely they can’t need money to keep making videos asking for more money? 

5 minutes ago, kalifire said:

I don’t get that. What do they need money for? Their Zoom subscriptions? They’re not custodians of secret scientific knowledge - pretty much everything related to this is public domain at the moment. Surely they can’t need money to keep making videos asking for more money? 

Who knows, I’m frankly bored of seeing their stuff get shared all the time. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Because their careers are nearly over 

1 hour ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

@DeanoL suggested this a few days back 

Nah, I've always been of the opinion that we're safe to open up 3 weeks after all adults are jabbed once (though yes, personally I would push back the new two dates to that point).

But someone had specifically asked "if they don't think it's safe now, when will it be safe?" in response to the article about waiting until Autumn - to which I just pointed out that it was Autumn - it said so in the article.

We can debate all day how fast/slow the re-opening should be and what should happen when. My issue is when people use the argument "it's as safe now as it'll ever be so we should just open".

It's not. It'll get safer. It'll get safer when all adults are vaccinated. It'll get safer when kids are vaccinated. It'll get safer when variant booster shots are done. It'll keep getting safer the longer we wait, pretty much. 

That doesn't mean I think we should wait for zero COVID before doing anything. Just I'm acknowledging the fact that it'll continue to get safer, and the risk will continue to get lower. What we need to do is pick the point at which the risk is acceptable.

I'd probably pick a different point to you, and that's fine - that's a healthy difference of opinion.

What I object to is people going "if it's not now it'll never happen, as it won't get any safer". We had it a few weeks back where people were claiming it was "as safe now for two vaccinated people to meet as it will ever be". It's not. They can still pass it to each other and then pass it on to unvaccinated people. Does that mean they shouldn't be able to meet? No. Just that it's not "as safe as it will ever be" it's just "acceptably safe".

• Like 5
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

38 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Nah, I've always been of the opinion that we're safe to open up 3 weeks after all adults are jabbed once (though yes, personally I would push back the new two dates to that point).

But someone had specifically asked "if they don't think it's safe now, when will it be safe?" in response to the article about waiting until Autumn - to which I just pointed out that it was Autumn - it said so in the article.

We can debate all day how fast/slow the re-opening should be and what should happen when. My issue is when people use the argument "it's as safe now as it'll ever be so we should just open".

It's not. It'll get safer. It'll get safer when all adults are vaccinated. It'll get safer when kids are vaccinated. It'll get safer when variant booster shots are done. It'll keep getting safer the longer we wait, pretty much. 

That doesn't mean I think we should wait for zero COVID before doing anything. Just I'm acknowledging the fact that it'll continue to get safer, and the risk will continue to get lower. What we need to do is pick the point at which the risk is acceptable.

I'd probably pick a different point to you, and that's fine - that's a healthy difference of opinion.

What I object to is people going "if it's not now it'll never happen, as it won't get any safer". We had it a few weeks back where people were claiming it was "as safe now for two vaccinated people to meet as it will ever be". It's not. They can still pass it to each other and then pass it on to unvaccinated people. Does that mean they shouldn't be able to meet? No. Just that it's not "as safe as it will ever be" it's just "acceptably safe".

By autumn we’ll have no live event industry left, many more businesses are hanging on a wire and we’ll create thousands more cases of mental health issues too. 

I don’t disagree it would be safer in the autumn, but we have to get on with our lives now.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

I think looking at the current rates and vaccination rates, and lack of evidence of Variant causing vaccine escape, that we are probably over cautious at the moment if anything. But the current road map is fine as long as it's stuck to. Ithink extending it would mean that restrictions causing more damage than Covid

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, stuie said:

By autumn we’ll have no live event industry left, many more businesses are hanging on a wire and we’ll create thousands more cases of mental health issues too. 

I don’t disagree it would be safer in the autumn, but we have to get on with our lives now.

Spot on, not to mention the hospitality and travel industries who are also being hung out to dry. 

48 minutes ago, stuie said:

41 minutes ago, zahidf said:

I think looking at the current rates and vaccination rates, and lack of evidence of Variant causing vaccine escape, that we are probably over cautious at the moment if anything. But the current road map is fine as long as it's stuck to. Ithink extending it would mean that restrictions causing more damage than Covid

36 minutes ago, Paul ™ said:

Spot on, not to mention the hospitality and travel industries who are also being hung out to dry. 

All valid and good arguments, which makes you wonder why many of the "open up now" crowd resort to nonsense like "it's as safe as it will ever be"

3 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

All valid and good arguments, which makes you wonder why many of the "open up now" crowd resort to nonsense like "it's as safe as it will ever be"

I think we might get to that June date and Boris will be in celebratory mood and tell us all to get out and about etc, but with the caveat that negative tests/proof of vaccination will be needed to do some fun things.

Might also tell pubs/restaurants to limit capacity/retain distancing measures but not legally enforce it?

Mass events (including indoor ones like gigs and theatres) are going to be the struggle. Especially with Useless Dowden’s lack of interest/understanding in anything except the Royal Albert Hall.