When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

24 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

I don’t get what kind of life you’ve led when not having your friends round to your house is some unimaginable suffering, literally worse than death, when for most of us it’s part of life- a lot of us only see some of our friends at glastonbury because we live a long distance apart.

Have you ever had a friend die, or a family member you love? You realise that when that happens you can never have them round your house ever again? I just don’t get where you’re coming from sometimes with some of the grand statements you make.

But Covid to me isn’t “unimaginable suffering”. Trust me, I’d be saying a lot different if this was an Ebola pandemic.

Covid to me is a cough and a fever for a few days. And as far as I can gather, it’s highly predictable who that isn’t the case for. Sure you get the odd 95 year old in a care home who beats it (more common than you think) or very rarely you get a healthy 22 year old who loses to it. But in the vast vast majority of cases you can accurately predict the outcome of the virus.

I’m 28 and have underlying health problems (bad enough that I got the vaccine early, minor enough that I didn’t have to shield). I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t even realise if I caught Covid, or if I did, it might be a few days feeling a bit rough at worst. So for me, the disruption caused by lockdowns is a lot worse than the virus itself. I get why this may not be the case if you have underlying health problems that are more serious than mine, or you’re old, or you know someone who falls into those categories. 

That’s where I disagree with your bolded point. I’m not saying it’s worse than death. I’m saying it’s worse than a few days in bed with a mild virus. 

12 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

My grandmother is vulnerable and agrees with Fuzzy.  She would rather be dead than not see her family.  

My wife, mother in law, father in law and step mom are all vulnerable and don't agree with Fuzzy. 

13 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

But Covid to me isn’t “unimaginable suffering”. Trust me, I’d be saying a lot different if this was an Ebola pandemic.

Covid to me is a cough and a fever for a few days. And as far as I can gather, it’s highly predictable who that isn’t the case for. Sure you get the odd 95 year old in a care home who beats it (more common than you think) or very rarely you get a healthy 22 year old who loses to it. But in the vast vast majority of cases you can accurately predict the outcome of the virus.

I’m 28 and have underlying health problems (bad enough that I got the vaccine early, minor enough that I didn’t have to shield). I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t even realise if I caught Covid, or if I did, it might be a few days feeling a bit rough at worst. So for me, the disruption caused by lockdowns is a lot worse than the virus itself. I get why this may not be the case if you have underlying health problems that are more serious than mine, or you’re old, or you know someone who falls into those categories. 

That’s where I disagree with your bolded point. I’m not saying it’s worse than death. I’m saying it’s worse than a few days in bed with a mild virus. 

I see a lot of this about and to be honest if you felt that way I don't see why you didn't pass on taking the vaccine until everyone else had been done. If everyone who has had the vaccine already but now claims we should open up right away as COVID is basically harmless, those vaccines could have gone to the hesitant people resisting re-opening and we'd have most of them done by now.

It does seem ridiculous that you're there saying you didn't need the vaccine anyway, and I'm here saying I'm not going out and contributing to the economy until I've had it, yet you'd happily take it before me!

19 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

I don't buy this...

You have literally no friends or family around ?   Bollocks     Your making situations up to try and prove a point.

Not in that position now but have been in the past in my life. Likewise I have a friend in that position right now - emigrated to Europe to beat the Brexit deadline, hard to make friends in lockdown! It's not infeasible.

Edited by DeanoL
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

and there you have it...

So let my Grandmother have some fun and you guys can be strangers for a couple more years.  win - win.

Im seeing the in-laws for a curry on Saturday for the mother in laws birthday, its you who seems to think restrictions are going to go on for a couple more years, strange take that one ! 

At no point did I say people shouldn't get on with their lives now people are vaccinated. 

6 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

None of us have a choice over when its our turn for the vaccine to be frank so this sort of discussion is always pointless.  And we all have a "duty" as such to take it when offered...

Err, we do, you can absolutely not take it. We're not doing compulsory vaccinations.

6 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

I am seeing vaccinated friends this weekend 🙂

This shit ended for me soon as I had my vaccine.  I couldn't care less about Boris and his rules now to be honest 🙂

Enjoy your curry - don't kill anyone 🙂 

Not planning to ! 😂

7 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

I am seeing vaccinated friends this weekend 🙂

This shit ended for me soon as I had my vaccine.  I couldn't care less about Boris and his rules now to be honest 🙂

Enjoy your curry - don't kill anyone 🙂 

I think this sums you up

YOU have had the vaccine so now YOU couldn’t care less about the rules. 

Lots of us haven’t had the vaccine yet and you can still pass it on by your selfish actions. 

Absolutely selfish weapon

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

3 minutes ago, JB15 said:

I think this sums you up

YOU have had the vaccine so now YOU couldn’t care less about the rules. 

Lots of us haven’t had the vaccine yet and you can still pass it on by your selfish actions. 

Absolutely selfish weapon

Have you been living under a rock and missed all the news about how good the vaccines are? 

Very unlikely to catch it even after 1 dose, and if you do you’re even more unlikely to pass it on.

Just because it’s not government sanctioned doesn’t mean vaccinated people meeting is unsafe.  

6 minutes ago, BobWillis2 said:

Have you been living under a rock and missed all the news about how good the vaccines are? 

Very unlikely to catch it even after 1 dose, and if you do you’re even more unlikely to pass it on.

Just because it’s not government sanctioned doesn’t mean vaccinated people meeting is unsafe.  

They are excellent. But they still take about 3 weeks to become effective, did you miss that too?

4 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

I think we all know this...  but I think its most peoples opinions we should all be doing our "bit"...  do it for our country...

The roll out was based on who had the highest level of risk. If you genuinely believe, like some people do, that you weren't at risk when offered it, declining it and waiting is the right thing to do. Everyone should get it eventually, but it's being rolled out in order of need. If you genuinely don't think you need it why take it?

Sorry, I just struggle with being told it's a safe risk for me to take by people not willing to take the same risk. Actions speak louder than words, and frankly I straight up don't believe someone claiming that COVID was of no risk to them who has also then taken a vaccine to reduce that risk. The actions and words don't line up.

I actually find it really uncomfortable seeing anyone vaccinated saying we should speed up re-opening. It's okay for me, home worker, work happy for that to continue until everyone is jabbed. But for a lot of people it's not. Re-opening means they have to go back into work and put themselves at risk. Yes, their risk is lower as they're younger, but it still feels wrong to me. It's still asking people to take a risk that you're not willing to take yourself.

(Obviously doesn't apply to people just asking for the restrictions on seeing friends indoors to be dropped sooner)

• Upvote 1

Just had the call regarding the Valneva vaccine trial and they've asked me to go to a local hospital for 3 hours next Sunday to do screening and then have a vaccine.

Can anyone who did any of the other trials explain if they had to do the same?

Curious to other people's experiences of being in the different trials.

2 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

I think this is a partial truth...

Phase 1 was...  I don't think Phase 2 is...

I have had the vaccines (I work from home and hardly see anyone face to face) and my Teacher wife won't get it until next Tuesday.  The risks are clearly higher for her.

I mean, they are, but haven't you been shouting until you're blue in the face about how there's no transmission in schools and kids can't pass it on?

6 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Sorry, I just struggle with being told it's a safe risk for me to take by people not willing to take the same risk. Actions speak louder than words, and frankly I straight up don't believe someone claiming that COVID was of no risk to them who has also then taken a vaccine to reduce that risk. The actions and words don't line up.

Vaccines reduce transmission so taking a vaccine isn’t just about your personal risk, I would have thought that was obvious. 

2 minutes ago, BobWillis2 said:

Vaccines reduce transmission so taking a vaccine isn’t just about your personal risk, I would have thought that was obvious. 

Right - but Fuzzy got the vaccine earlier because of health issues - so they got it because of personal risk. A personal risk they claim never existed. If they had it because they were a carer or NHS worker that'd be different.

Just now, DeanoL said:

Right - but Fuzzy got the vaccine earlier because of health issues - so they got it because of personal risk. A personal risk they claim never existed. If they had it because they were a carer or NHS worker that'd be different.

Getting offered it earlier because doctors have determined you are higher risk and taking it early because you’re worried about your personal risk is not the same thing. 

It can be both true that someone has zero fear about being infected by covid and their personal outcome, and that same person wanting the vaccine as soon as possible to help lower transmission. Some may just want it as early as possible because of the possibility of vaccine passports and wanting their freedoms back as quick as possible. 

14 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Just had the call regarding the Valneva vaccine trial and they've asked me to go to a local hospital for 3 hours next Sunday to do screening and then have a vaccine.

Can anyone who did any of the other trials explain if they had to do the same?

Curious to other people's experiences of being in the different trials.

Yeah Mrs Starbuck had something similar when she got her J&J (now unblinded) at a converted library. Took closer to 4hrs. Think the screening is standard, as you’d want it to be for a medical trial. She was also reassured by the staff being NHS rather than Big Pharma. 

As I understand it you’ll be getting a real jab either way. Let us know how it goes!

16 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Genuine question - are you okay with the issues you will face by having a unapproved vaccine / blinded trial and not being able to make use of domestic or foreign vaccine passports ?

Would put me right off personally! 

Surely this would have been thought of in relation to any kind of vaccine passports?

6 minutes ago, balthazarstarbuck said:

Yeah Mrs Starbuck had something similar when she got her J&J (now unblinded) at a converted library. Took closer to 4hrs. Think the screening is standard, as you’d want it to be for a medical trial. She was also reassured by the staff being NHS rather than Big Pharma. 

As I understand it you’ll be getting a real jab either way. Let us know how it goes!

Out of interest did she get paid to be part of the trial?

There's the potential for £600 (£550 minimum) for this over the course of the trial.