When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Just now, JoeyT said:

What on earth are they?

1. Requiring masks outside makes them handy when people go inside and also less likely to forget.

2. Masks can help build a sense of social solidarity - 'we're all in this together'.

3. Humans are designed to copy each other by so if others are wearing them, that increases acceptance and recognition that their general behaviours should change.

I'm on the continent and here far more people wear masks indoors. They also have to wear them outdoors. It's not a coincidence.

And no one complains - it's just a bit of fabric after all - and is only needed until the pandemic is under control 

Hope this helps.

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, xxialac said:

1. Requiring masks outside makes them handy when people go inside and also less likely to forget.

2. Masks can help build a sense of social solidarity - 'we're all in this together'.

3. Humans are designed to copy each other by so if others are wearing them, that increases acceptance and recognition that their general behaviours should change.

I'm on the continent and here far more people wear masks indoors. They also have to wear them outdoors. It's not a coincidence.

And no one complains - it's just a bit of fabric after all - and is only needed until the pandemic is under control 

Hope this helps.

Within the UK the pandemic is under control so by that fact people shouldn't have to wear them outside at all...

9 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Within the UK the pandemic is under control so by that fact people shouldn't have to wear them outside at all...

That's an entirely separate point.

I was just addressing the OP suggestion that masks are of no benefit outside. And as well as all the indirect benefits I've listed, they also reduce transmission outside. Not a lot but they do.

Edited by xxialac
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

The pandemic is under control but not over. We can't even go into pubs at the moment, let alone full-capacity events.

7 minutes ago, gfa said:

The pandemic is under control but not over. We can't even go into pubs at the moment, let alone full-capacity events.

...but the pandemic won't be 'over' for several years most likely. Our plans now depend on people's views of acceptable risk/benefit.

17 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Agreed - but my point is the failed attempt of trying to apply restrictions to a mob mentality driven bunch of knuckle dragging football fans is a pointless exercise.  Most of them won't get the follow up tests I reckon either.

We can't have full stadiums until we drop social distancing and masks in stadiums - if you believe that stuff is required which obviously some of the government scientists do.  Whitty has said it would spread in a queue for coffee outside.

Am I the only person that thinks denigrating an entire group of people isn't really in line with the Glastonbury spirit or ethos of this board.

Lets hope the government don't have a similar view of people who go to festivals and gigs!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

23 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Hope this helps.

It’s also better to keep them in rather than take masks on and off as you risk touching something that might be contaminated then touching your face. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

CDC but the risk of transmission by the route as around 1 / 10,000 - which is incredibly small

Oh yeah I can appreciate the risk is small. I remember reading about taking masks on and off ages ago and it’s one of the things that’s stuck with me for some reason. 

41 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I guess we'll find out within the next 6 or 7 days. I assume every individual's attendance is recorded to analyse any data? 

They needed tests first to be fair - same as the liverpool test event which will be in a tent with no social distancing. If there are outbreaks after the 4000 at the football (on each side, not really an 8,000 crowd) then it's all unsafe 

11 minutes ago, found home in 2009 said:

Am I the only person that thinks denigrating an entire group of people isn't really in line with the Glastonbury spirit or ethos of this board.

Lets hope the government don't have a similar view of people who go to festivals and gigs!

Let's see what the behavioural scientists observing the event in liverpool think when they see people pushing together at the front, on shoulders etc 😂. Allowed yes, expected...possibly not! 

Edited by efcfanwirral

51 minutes ago, xxialac said:

That's patently false.

Plus you're not factoring in all the other indirect benefits of having more people wear masks outside.

The idea of people wearing so-called “masks” is that they make you less likely to transmit the virus, yay or nay?

A few points here:

1. The entire crowd had tested negative for Covid-19 in the days leading up to the event, so the odds of anyone in the stadium actually having the virus is slim. Sure there might be a false negative or two, or a few people may have caught the virus between taking the LFT and attending the match. But at most, you could count the number of people in that stadium who were infected with covid-19 on one hand. Even in a completely random sample of the population (I.e. a crowd where LFT screening hadn’t happened) you’d only expect about 12-15 positive people in a crowd of 8,000 on today’s rates.

2. Even if you did have a few people with the virus, it hardly spreads outdoors, especially not with 2m distancing in place.

Having people wear face coverings in Wembley during the football is for the cameras and nothing else. It makes zero difference to the minuscule risk of covid transmission. 

12 minutes ago, found home in 2009 said:

Very little in this thread is in line with the 'glastonbury spirit'.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

lol - a bunch of middle class scientists who's only experience of a gig is a Michael Ball concert watching a mosh pit develop 🙂 

Oh dear lord we never expected that 😄 

Haha that was my exact thoughts on them. Only jesting though, Melvin Benn is involved so there is a voice involved who knows what it's all about! 

16 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

It makes me chuckle how people still think Glastonbury is anything other than a massive corporate event these days.  The demographic reality just isn't what some people want to pretend it is.  Its not really any different from Leeds and Reading these days.  

Bunch of investment bankers pretending to be all hippy for a week 😛 

yeah, the place is full of tory bankers.

55 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Hope this helps.

I'm sorry but who at this stage in the pandemic is forgetting to put their mask on when going into a shop? Wearing masks outdoors is utterly pointless and those reasons are all incredibly weak imo.

1. That is just such a weak argument. By that logic we should wear them in our houses so we don't forget them when we go out.

2. Hmm maybe but they can do that in supermarkets etc and generally indoors. They don't need to be worn outdoors to fulfil this.

3. Same as 2. Acceptance and recognition of masks is already pretty huge from what I have seen in the UK.

Re the bit in bold- yes but wearing them outdoors doesn't help with this, indoors does.

2 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

I agree - I think Scotland should stay locked up longer - England sends its love from the pub 😛 

As of today you can go to the pub in Scotland. Indoors till 8pm with no alcohol indoors lol. Pretty ridiculous. Beer gardens now open right after the nice weather... typical.

1 minute ago, Barry Fish said:

Some countries are strapping muzzles on kids as young as 2...  The world has lost its mind.  Common sense exited the building a long time ago - better safe the sorry though I suppose.  The countries wearing masks outside and strapping 2 year olds in muzzles are doing so much better than us...  oh wait..  they aren't 😛 

No I don't agree with you at all. Masks are a good thing and should be worn when required indoors. Outdoors is utterly futile imo. Also, please stop with the 'muzzles' nonsense.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Some countries are strapping muzzles on kids as young as 3+ (looking at you USA and some parts of the EU)  The world has lost its mind.  Common sense exited the building a long time ago - better safe the sorry though I suppose.  The countries wearing masks outside and strapping 3 year olds in muzzles are doing so much better than us...  oh wait..  they aren't 😛 

With all due respect, can you give it a rest with the 'muzzles' thing. It might have been a mildly humourous meme for a week but is exhausting to read every single day.

• Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Agreed - but my point is the failed attempt of trying to apply restrictions to a mob mentality driven bunch of knuckle dragging football fans is a pointless exercise.  

Depends on the point you're trying to make. COVID spread is not the only thing they are measuring at these pilot events, regardless of what the claims might be. They'll be looking at compliance also. Because they can't just come out and say "opera is on but football is off because opera fans follow the rules and football fans don't". But they can say "in pilot events, compliance at large outdoor sporting events was low, but at indoor upscale theatre events was high, therefore the latter will be coming back first".

It's extremely useful data just not for what you thought it was.

34 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

meh - 30 + years as a football season ticket holder - I have been to European cup finals and World Cups...

I get to have an opinion - now go melt 🙂 

I don't think anyone was claiming you weren't a knuckle-dragger... 😄

3 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

I'm sorry but who at this stage in the pandemic is forgetting to put their mask on when going into a shop?

My parents did the other day. They're retired but no major health issues - just had a brain-fail. Just an anecdote but it does happen.

1 minute ago, DeanoL said:

My parents did the other day. They're retired but no major health issues - just had a brain-fail. Just an anecdote but it does happen.

It's defo possible for sure but it is easily and quickly rectified. I don't think the answer is wearing a mask as soon as you leave your house till you're back.

So we are a few weeks into pubs being allowed to open outside, for those that have gone, what's demand like? Was it hard to find a slot for a table to book? Was everything full? Were there queues?

Genuinely intrigued, as the nice weather means its the best possible circumstances for this sort of thing, so if people were right with the idea of everyone being desperate to get back to normal then getting a table at a pub should have been like trying to get Glasto tickets. If demand was merely just a little over supply it suggests there's still a fair amount of hesitancy out there.

1 hour ago, xxialac said:

Hope this helps.

Sorry but that’s all a load of old tosh. 

At this stage of the pandemic people have decided whether they will comply with face coverings or not.  If they do, they will have it with them and use it inside. 

They make no difference to transmission outdoors.

• Upvote 1