When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

catch me if you can, barely the eu-vaccination program wins speed, this EU-guy talks big:

According to Internal Market Commissioner Thierry Breton, the EU should have enough vaccine for the majority of the population by the summer: "We will have enough doses by mid-July to vaccinate 70 percent of the adult population in the EU," he told the French newspaper " Le Figaro ". "We will very likely catch up with the UK during the month of July."

12 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

That distribution of first to seconds in Scotland is UGLY 

The Scottish policy of just posting out appointments (when they don't necessarily know your address) rather than letting people book their own could be turning into a disaster as we move down the ages.

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/edinburgh-news/edinburgh-lothians-vaccine-centres-more-20421995

The UK provide us with the vaccines and we manage to cock it up, can't wait for a thumping SNP majority off the back of this.

6 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Looks like we've got more vaccine supply if the Scottish figures leakage is correct

Not a leak, it's just the web page gets updated at this time with allocated figures. Good news though, issues of supply never quite seem to materialise. Considering some of the shock stories about APril supply it's actually been alright.

16 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Looks like we've got more vaccine supply if the Scottish figures leakage is correct

Good to see. April has turned out like they’ve said being the 2nd dose month but hopefully as we move into May we can start to pick up first doses again. 

22 hours ago, JoeyT said:

I think they've only just dropped the masks outside mandate they had so will be interesting to know when they drop masks inside as well as I think that's all they have left in place restriction wise?

Sure someone will be able to confirm or correct me on that though.

Israel still has loads of restrictions. With the exception of the things under the vaccine passport a lot of it is more restrictive than we are at this point. https://www.gov.il/en/Departments/Guides/ramzor-cites-guidelines?chapterIndex=1

7 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

So you agree - masks on fights are about as useful as the withdrawal  method in the real world...

That's a pretty good analogy actually. Withdrawal is about 80% effective at stopping pregnancy. So you'd be crazy to rely on it, but if you have nothing else, and absolutely have to have sex, it's certainly worth doing.

The same goes for masks. No, they don't stop COVID entirely, the only ways to do that are: not have contact with anyone who has it, or get vaccinated. But if both of those options aren't available to you, or you don't want to do them, then wearing a mask really helps. You're still rolling the dice every time you put yourself in those situations, but you're tilting the odds.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, st dan said:

As it looks like they aren’t going to get any backing from the government, I still think festivals could run a ‘best endeavours’ policy for ticket holders, and fully disclose that if a turn in the nature of the pandemic means their festival can no longer go ahead, then unfortunately the buyer accepts this at their own risk and all money will be lost if it were to be cancelled. 

Not an ideal scenario, but if it gives festivals a chance of going ahead them in sure people would take the punt. Especially the smaller capacity festivals, given the huge demand for tickets at present. And if people don’t want to take the risks then they don’t need to buy, which puts them in the same position as the festival being cancelled in the first place. 

I think people on here over-estimate how desperate the majority are for festivals to go ahead. I don't even Glastonbury could sell on that basis - people won't risk £100s on an event that may or may not happen when they can just wait and go to something later in the year. Festivals need the weather, so won't exist later in the year so some of us are desperate for them to happen this summer, but most people will just be happy to spend the money on a few gigs or a holiday in October instead.

9 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

I think people on here over-estimate how desperate the majority are for festivals to go ahead. I don't even Glastonbury could sell on that basis - people won't risk £100s on an event that may or may not happen when they can just wait and go to something later in the year. Festivals need the weather, so won't exist later in the year so some of us are desperate for them to happen this summer, but most people will just be happy to spend the money on a few gigs or a holiday in October instead.

True, and fair point - but I only suggested it on the basis of the current figures and roadmap, and how successful the vaccination rollout is looking in the UK at present. There is certainly nothing to suggest in the data right now that a festival post 21st June won’t go ahead, or would need to be cancelled due to the pandemic. So yes it would be a risk, but it would be a calculated one that heavily leans in the favour of a festival going ahead at present. 

23 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

To be fair, I'd prob class myself in that bracket. If they can get, say, comedy clubs, gigs, restaurants and cinemas going, I can prob live without festivals and foreign travel. After the year we've had, feel a bit more appreciative of the small things!

20 minutes ago, Homer said:

To be fair, I'd prob class myself in that bracket. If they can get, say, comedy clubs, gigs, restaurants and cinemas going, I can prob live without festivals and foreign travel. After the year we've had, feel a bit more appreciative of the small things!

I'm the same. I love festivals but if there was a risk of jus writing off £200 completely I doubt I would get a ticket.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/apr/20/possible-link-between-johnson-johnson-vaccine-and-rare-blood-clots-says-regulator?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

‘The Amsterdam-based European Medicines Agency (EMA) said in a statement on Tuesday its safety committee had concluded a warning should be added to the vaccine’s product information, but that the shot’s benefits outweighed its risks.’

It’s important to note that the EMA have just said a wanting should be added to the product information of the vaccine like it would do for any other medication. There is a possible link but in their view people should definitely still take this vaccine. 

Edited by Ozanne
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/apr/20/possible-link-between-johnson-johnson-vaccine-and-rare-blood-clots-says-regulator?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

‘The Amsterdam-based European Medicines Agency (EMA) said in a statement on Tuesday its safety committee had concluded a warning should be added to the vaccine’s product information, but that the shot’s benefits outweighed its risks.’

It’s important to note that the EMA have just said a wanting should be added to the product information of the vaccine like it would do for any other medication. There is a possible link but in their view people should definitely still take this vaccine. 

Fingers crossed the individual countries listen instead off faffing around