When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

2 hours ago, Ozanne said:

In one of the previous press conferences they said that for the next 2 weeks cases will rise and not to worry about that. We’ll see after that if there’s any issues with hospitalisations. 

Very much this, at this point, the doubt still hadn’t kicked in for me, I was still going to Glastonbury.. was just back from the stereophonics gig in Nottingham that weekend, the lineup was brill and gave me some hope for a while

If everyone having the first vaccine by early June comes to pass, I really hope they keep the 21st as the ‘end’ date and spend those extra couple of weeks getting the second dose in as many people as is humanly possible. 

We’re gonna be fine, aren’t we. Happy freakin’ days. 

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

If everyone having the first vaccine by early June comes to pass, I really hope they keep the 21st as the ‘end’ date and spend those extra couple of weeks getting the second dose in as many people as is humanly possible. 

If the UK approves the Johnson and Johnson vaccine its going to go much faster. You need to hope for that to get to June 21. 

On 2/27/2021 at 12:22 PM, gizmoman said:

Will this "freedom" mean the return of peaceful protest? Of course not, such gatherings will be classed as risky because the people attending won't have been tested or checked for vaccination. Since the majority have now been propagandised into accepting this new level of control it will be easy to demonise and shut down any protest, whatever the cause. The public simply won't care if the Police use unlawful means to break up demos, look at the response on here to the anti-lockdown demos last year. Even if you disagree with the cause, the right to peaceful protest is a basic freedom, people are starting to forget what rights they had and are willing to surrender anything just to get to the pub.

I was going to take a break for a bit but this is important.

Only 2 weeks since I posted that and we see this,

https://www.politics.co.uk/comment/2021/03/11/silencing-black-lives-matter-priti-patels-anti-protest-law/

(From the politics thread)

This is nothing to do with BLM it's a way to silence ANY dissent, they are bringing it in now because people cannot protest against it due to the anti-democracy lockdown laws, this is another step towards totalitarianism, brought in while people are in a positive frame of mind due to the "hope" that things are going to get better. the more we tolerate this increasing erosion of liberty the worse it's going to get.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

The thinking will be the vulnerable will have rhe 2 doses by then and it'd be 3 weeks after the first dose kicks in for first dose 

5 hours ago, gizmoman said:

https://www.politics.co.uk/comment/2021/03/11/silencing-black-lives-matter-priti-patels-anti-protest-law/

This is nothing to do with BLM it's a way to silence ANY dissent, they are bringing it in now because people cannot protest against it due to the anti-democracy lockdown laws, this is another step towards totalitarianism, brought in while people are in a positive frame of mind due to the "hope" that things are going to get better. the more we tolerate this increasing erosion of liberty the worse it's going to get.

"That X-thing was dreadful" 

Hypocrite 

7 hours ago, gizmoman said:

Whilst I agree that giving the police more powers to deal with protests is a bad thing it has the square root of fuck all to do with lockdown. The reason most people aren't up in arms about this is they don't like Extinction Rebellion making them late for work and they think BLM want to take down statues of Winston Churchill it isn't because there is a pandemic.

7 hours ago, gizmoman said:

It’s absolutely horrifying stuff, while simultaneously being utterly predictable. 

21 hours ago, JoeyT said:

I think he's a bit of a nutter.

What's the general consensus of him in Wales? 

It’s a tricky one. During the first lockdown and any time since (including the firebreak we had in December) I’ve been fairly supportive of his decisions.

This time around it’s fairly difficult to do so as there doesn’t seem to be any form of logic behind his decisions. He stopped supermarkets selling non-essential items to make it fair on non-essential retail which was closed. But that’s now changed, supermarkets CAN sell non-essential items again but the “normal” shops aren’t allowed to open. This is one of many things that don’t make much sense and are slowly losing the public.

The main issue that seems to be arising is that he seems to have this fixation with doing things differently to England. In our rules they even made a point of saying to some of the things “THIS IS BEFORE ENGLAND”. 
I might be fairly biased with this one as it involves my job but he seems to have a complete disregarded for hospitality too. He’s said he won’t even consider opening hospitality outdoors until the start of May, which means people will likely just head to England and visit their pubs, restaurants etc.

TL;DR I think he’s had the support of the Welsh public through a lot of this but is starting to lose them, he needs to be careful.

Edited by DareToDibble

7 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Not sure how sorry you should be. You raised a valuable issue. 

Lockdowns are enforced.  Isolation can be voluntary.  I think there is key difference.

If you have anxiety from lockdown it's being enforced on you. 

If you have anxiety from getting back out there you have the choice to do less.

I get your point, though it's not quite that simple- for some the anxiety will likely be triggered by the world getting back out there even if they stay in (outside will seem more threatening), plus it's not all up to choice, there will be pressure for individuals to 'get back out there' even if they don't feel ready to (eg work may insist on ending home working, their kids will have to go to school, they may have to go back to uni, there will be social pressure from friends and family, plus the government may introduce financial pressures to try and push people back into doing what they ant them to do).

Probably the best way forwards with regards to those anxious about lockdown ending would be to open up things gradually (like is planned), and allow people to re-enter society at their own pace (doing more as they feel safer), but I don't think the latter will end up being as much of a choice as it should be (remember after the first lockdown those pathetic newspaper campaigns saying it was time for people to get back to work etc etc).

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

I get your point, though it's not quite that simple- for some the anxiety will likely be triggered by the world getting back out there even if they stay in (outside will seem more threatening), plus it's not all up to choice, there will be pressure for individuals to 'get back out there' even if they don't feel ready to (eg work may insist on ending home working, their kids will have to go to school, they may have to go back to uni, there will be social pressure from friends and family, plus the government may introduce financial pressures to try and push people back into doing what they ant them to do).

Probably the best way forwards with regards to those anxious about lockdown ending would be to open up things gradually (like is planned), and allow people to re-enter society at their own pace (doing more as they feel safer), but I don't think the latter will end up being as much of a choice as it should be (remember after the first lockdown those pathetic newspaper campaigns saying it was time for people to get back to work etc etc).

There are probably quite a few people whose anxiety isn't actually related to covid too. People who were already anxious in their work environment, or on public transport or whatever have been able to avoid that while furloughed or working from home.

5 minutes ago, Simsy said:

There are probably quite a few people whose anxiety isn't actually related to covid too. People who were already anxious in their work environment, or on public transport or whatever have been able to avoid that while furloughed or working from home.

Absolutely!

42 minutes ago, Simsy said:

Fuck yes. I really don’t want to go back into the office and WFH has been such a great move for me. 

12 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Fuck yes. I really don’t want to go back into the office and WFH has been such a great move for me. 

I can imagine- I'm fortunate to not have to work in an office, but I do think the thought of going back to working in an office full time with long train commutes etc must seem like a horrible prospect for a lot of people who have got to experience life without all that wasted time travelling. Commuting to work was really getting to me before all the covid stuff took off- just hours and hours of wasted time, stress, money, cancelled and delayed overpacked trains, worry about being late, not able to get home- it feels like another lifetime ago!