When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

7 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

I can imagine- I'm fortunate to not have to work in an office, but I do think the thought of going back to working in an office full time with long train commutes etc must seem like a horrible prospect for a lot of people who have got to experience life without all that wasted time travelling. Commuting to work was really getting to me before all the covid stuff took off- just hours and hours of wasted time, stress, money, cancelled and delayed overpacked trains, worry about being late, not able to get home- it feels like another lifetime ago!

It’s not the commute for me, as I have a 20 minute walk to work. I don’t like the office environment with bickering over temperature, climate control systems that circulate bugs round the floor and seeing people that I don’t really want to see for 8 hours a day. WFH or more importantly the option to still do it gives me that freedom to flexibly. 

7 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

I can imagine- I'm fortunate to not have to work in an office, but I do think the thought of going back to working in an office full time with long train commutes etc must seem like a horrible prospect for a lot of people who have got to experience life without all that wasted time travelling. Commuting to work was really getting to me before all the covid stuff took off- just hours and hours of wasted time, stress, money, cancelled and delayed overpacked trains, worry about being late, not able to get home- it feels like another lifetime ago!

Leaving my house at 6.45am to get to a meeting in Bristol at 9, which is about 20 miles from my house, seems ludicrous now.

Did it many times but didn’t think about it at the time.

17 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Yeah I'm not looking forward to the commute. I used to do two days in, two days out at my main employer, with the fifth day being a mix depending who I was working for. While that is the right fit for me in terms of office time, the tube journey used to fill me with dread. It's a pretty short journey but I hate being packed in like sardines. Already used to give me anxiety some mornings, no idea what it will be like now. Will likely start back in with just one day a week and see how it goes.

Also not looking forward to getting up a whole hour earlier again on those days! 

In my case, though, if I wanted to work from home forever I could (I'm freelance so can set my own terms to a degree) but I do miss the office chat and social side now. I'm torn between anxiety at going back to the way things were and wanting to get the fuck out of the house!

8 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Yeah I'm not looking forward to the commute. I used to do two days in, two days out at my main employer, with the fifth day being a mix depending who I was working for. While that is the right fit for me in terms of office time, the tube journey used to fill me with dread. It's a pretty short journey but I hate being packed in like sardines. Already used to give me anxiety some mornings, no idea what it will be like now. Will likely start back in with just one day a week and see how it goes.

Also not looking forward to getting up a whole hour earlier again on those days! 

In my case, though, if I wanted to work from home forever I could (I'm freelance so can set my own terms to a degree) but I do miss the office chat and social side now. I'm torn between anxiety at going back to the way things were and wanting to get the fuck out of the house!

I want to get out of the house, but not to go to the office.

36 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I want to get out of the house, but not to go to the office.

This. I want to go to the gym, I want to go to the pub, I want to go to a gig, I want to see my friends, I want to go on holiday. Office is low down the list.

That said I'm happy to wait and follow the old roadmap too. A few weeks more after the year we've had feels doable to me.

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

It’s not the commute for me, as I have a 20 minute walk to work. I don’t like the office environment with bickering over temperature, climate control systems that circulate bugs round the floor and seeing people that I don’t really want to see for 8 hours a day. WFH or more importantly the option to still do it gives me that freedom to flexibly. 

I used to be the same on on that - with the added issue of not actually feeling capable of getting my work done in the hours I was there due to pointless meetings and constant distractions. I used to be so moody with people when I had stuff to do! 

Since going freelance I actually slightly enjoy my work

Edited by efcfanwirral

17 minutes ago, zahidf said:

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

It seems like the UK is doing well at understanding the risk associated with inaction can be greater than the risk of action with incomplete knowledge. We're in a pandemic, normal rules don't apply.

Question is - will that be just the second dose for some of us, or are we having 2 in quick succession?

And also of course brings the question of will this include advice to delay the 21st June measures until this is done?

2 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Question is - will that be just the second dose for some of us, or are we having 2 in quick succession?

And also of course brings the question of will this include advice to delay the 21st June measures until this is done?

I imagine the boosters will be for those in the high-priority groups. Not sure if it will extend to the whole population.

4 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

these are for over 65s only at the moment, so presumably would be a third dose a few months after theyve already had their second dose. 

I don't think thats in the JVCI's purview with reagrds to delaying June 21st. Thats up to SAGE. Id be surprised though, my reading of it is that its a precaution so they DONT have to lock us up over winter

2 minutes ago, zahidf said:

these are for over 65s only at the moment, so presumably would be a third dose a few months after theyve already had their second dose. 

I don't think thats in the JVCI's purview with reagrds to delaying June 21st. Thats up to SAGE. Id be surprised though, my reading of it is that its a precaution so they DONT have to lock us up over winter

booster with vaccine tweaked for most dominant variant? like flu...?

9 minutes ago, zero000 said:

I imagine the boosters will be for those in the high-priority groups. Not sure if it will extend to the whole population.

6 minutes ago, zahidf said:

I agree they'll only be needed for the priority groups, though I wonder if, when "pandemic" ends and we go back to the normal rules of profit, whether AZ will lobby/bribe for everyone to need one so they can actually make some money from it. 

Not saying that's a bad thing or anti vaccine or anything about restrictions, just that this is generally how the world works. It'll change from supposed altruism to big business very quickly. 

Edited by efcfanwirral

13 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

and I guess they don't have to go through all the different phases of trials for these updated vaccines...and can fast track approval...

Yeah they've already said that adapted booster shots will be fast track approval

8 minutes ago, sisco said:

From what I read it didn’t appear to have any other caveats.  Oh and a test after the event too

that makes sense as a pilot but if we end up with lateral flow being needed for festivals, it's kind of saying no festivals to me. Logistically its impossible plus once all restrictions are lifted the virus realistically will be spreading everywhere so how many might get turned away? Interesting if this is the route they're going down - feels like it may fail at this hurdle 

Edited by efcfanwirral

2 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

that makes sense as a pilot but if we end up with lateral flow being needed for festivals, it's kind of saying no festivals to me. Logistically its impossible plus once all restrictions are lifted the virus realistically will be spreading everywhere so how many might get turned away? Interesting if this is the route they're going down - feels like it may fail at this hurdle 

It's probably more to assess how any virus spreads at the event rather than an indicator of the future. Free lateral flow test a few days before the event is fine 

3 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

To me it’s more of a effort to show That a massive % didn’t contract something at the even as a way to show June 21st is a date to open things

8 hours ago, Sasperella said:

"That X-thing was dreadful" 

Hypocrite 

? Is that a quote of mine? Even if I disagree with a particular protest that doesn't mean I think all protest should be restricted we already have laws to deal with criminal behaviour during a protest we don't need new ones.

1 hour ago, sisco said:

20,000 in for the FA cup final as one of the test events.  Lateral Flow negative test needed before

Is that it? If that’s as far as they expect to be on test events by the middle of May. A socially distanced cup final even with testing then the idea we’re going back to normal 5 weeks later is a bit of a reach.