When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

44 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Very concerning but not unexpected. The quote from the article is a good summary:

But we have to be cautious – because what we can’t determine is how much of this is understandable distress and how much of this is actual illness that needs treatment.” 

PTSD symptoms for example (flashbacks, nightmares) are very common after traumatic events and are part of how the brain processes trauma. So it doesn't necessarily mean the staff will go on to develop PTSD.

2 minutes ago, zero000 said:

Very concerning but not unexpected. The quote from the article is a good summary:

But we have to be cautious – because what we can’t determine is how much of this is understandable distress and how much of this is actual illness that needs treatment.” 

PTSD symptoms for example (flashbacks, nightmares) are very common after traumatic events and are part of how the brain processes trauma. So it doesn't necessarily mean the staff will go on to develop PTSD.

That’s a good point. I wonder generally speaking what the rough timeframe is for people that do go onto develop PTSD (I realise it’s not that simple!)

5 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Hard to watch. More awkward than Alan Partridge.

The sad thing is, behind the scenes, he has tended to call for action quicker regarding lock downs etc, but he sold his soul long ago and is quite content to go on TV and defend the undefendable (that Cummings didn't break the rules etc) so, coupled with his phoney smiles and chuckles persona, he just comes along as disingenuous twit

20 minutes ago, zero000 said:

I agree, I'd be more worried if people were working in that kind of situation and DIDN'T feel depressed, anxious, traumatised - it's the natural human response to such a horrific daily experience 

Most people can somehow plough on through a crisis (though the worrying thing about this one is that it must feel prolonged, unrelenting and as if it has no end in sight, so there is a risk of people breaking down), its afterwards the totality of what you've been through hits you, and it's only then they'll know if they need help and support or whether their own ways of dealing with stuff are enough. 

There has been some (albeit not much) funding made available for third sector orgs to offer counselling etc to NHS staff during this, but it doesn't seem to be very explicit - or countrywide (or enough!) and I think a lot of NHS are unaware of when the support is on offer (plus a lot likely won't access it/think about accessing while the crisis is ongoing). 

Working in mental health, this is infuriating - all the government has to do is provide more money to mental health and talking therapies and tell NHS staff they can access them if they need support now. It's really not rocket science, there are a lot of third sector orgs that can't work with their usual clientele during the lockdown, so there is some spare capacity out there. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Mr.Tease said:

I agree, I'd be more worried if people were working in that kind of situation and DIDN'T feel depressed, anxious, traumatised - it's the natural human response to such a horrific daily experience 

Most people can somehow plough on through a crisis (though the worrying thing about this one is that it must feel prolonged, unrelenting and as if it has no end in sight, so there is a risk of people breaking down), its afterwards the totality of what you've been through hits you, and it's only then they'll know if they need help and support or whether their own ways of dealing with stuff are enough. 

There has been some (albeit not much) funding made available for third sector orgs to offer counselling etc to NHS staff during this, but it doesn't seem to be very explicit - or countrywide (or enough!) and I think a lot of NHS are unaware of when the support is on offer (plus a lot likely won't access it/think about accessing while the crisis is ongoing). 

Working in mental health, this is infuriating - all the government has to do is provide more money to mental health and talking therapies and tell NHS staff they can access them if they need support now. It's really not rocket science, there are a lot of third sector orgs that can't work with their usual clientele during the lockdown, so there is some spare capacity out there. 

https://www.samaritans.org/how-we-can-help/health-and-care/here-listen-support-line-nhs-people/

There's separate free phone numbers for NHS and Health and Social care workers to call. 7am - 11pm

4 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

As amusing as that was to watch, surely there was an easy way out for Hancock there. He voted for kids not to have school meals during the summer, didn't he? Still monstrous but not directly related to this issue. He was too thick to take that route though.

October wasn't it? Although I can understand why you'd think it was more like 6 months ago. What is time?

10 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

It is just must be so relentless and exhausting.

The simple answer to that question was surely just something along the lines of:

‘Yes I regret initially voting against it, and am very glad that Marcus Rashford helped highlight the challenges many families are facing through these unprecedented times. We as a government took this on board and quickly and correctly reversed our original decision, and i am now thankful we are able to provide food for those children who need it most’.  

This type of answer would make these people actually look like human beings with feelings, although we know the true answer is that they were essentially forced into it be a huge Twitter campaign backed by a 21 year old footballer.