When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

5 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

surely won't come to that again! If any restrictions will be the soft/easy ones, masks, wfh etc. But...no one actually knows how bad it's going to get. Think I'll be getting a flu jab this winter, maybe I'll be getting a covid booster one too being so old and frail.

I'm sure it won't but I never thought there would be such poisonous rhetoric about last Christmas given it was within rules at the time so god knows where we are headed!

#teamvaccines etc.

9 minutes ago, andyrhodes24 said:

Whichever way you look at it this is interesting. ITV interviewing on the Covid wards and by coincidence find one that's a professional actor. Not the only one either

Not really, Actors have service jobs inbetween roles, especially now, and are at higher risk for catching the virus...

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Actors do get covid too !! Ffs this is ridiculous 

They're all piling in in the comments as you would expect on Twitter. Not sure where I am on it but you'd think if it was staged the fella would have at least used a different name on the interview

13 minutes ago, zahidf said:

I dont think any 'stay away from friends or relatives' style restrictions post double jab is basically pointless, as i cant imagine most people would follow that

I agree - I think that's what'll be making businesses jittery though- the trade off is to close things and there are much wider reaching consequences to that.

9 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Can't really rely on herd immunity through vaccination. Either we keep these restrictions indefinitely or accept an exit wave (or we get lucky again with a booster)

Got to do the exit wave - an endless cycle of restrictions and vaccination isn't too appealing - presumably by the time that's all done (both created and administered) that's months of restrictions and then there'll probably be another variant, if this one came about within a year its pretty clear it doesn't take that much to cause us problems 

Will everyone hold their nerve though? 

30 minutes ago, andyrhodes24 said:

Whichever way you look at it this is interesting. ITV interviewing on the Covid wards and by coincidence find one that's a professional actor. Not the only one either

The reality is the ITV crew are trying to find the most effective way of telling the story. It's no surprise that the person on the ward that's best able to express themselves and relate the story is the guy who does it for a living.

2 minutes ago, hodgey123 said:

Have they all been admitted to hospital?

If you want "back to normal" there's a higher bar than that. People aren't going to be booking tickets for shows and gigs if there's a good chance they're too ill to go. Not to mention performers, artists, venue staff, etc. getting ill.

And the massive disruption to business and infrastructure of having so many people off sick at once.

It might well be necessary in order to get through to the end of this but that doesn't mean it's not also a very big problem that's going to cause a lot issues that we need to deal with. 

A friend of mine in the Wirral went to get her second jab yesterday and told me there were a small group outside the vaccination centre, screaming abuse at people going in that they were "committing genocide" and they should all be ashamed. Some people have completely lost the plot!

3 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

I think we might be over playing this everyone being off ill thing...

If they get tested with symptoms they will be off though … of course if they ignore symptoms or don’t get tested they won’t … I guess it will depend on the person … or if the app pings them also 

6 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

I think we might be over playing this everyone being off ill thing...

Doesn't take many to cause issues - there's a reason loads of companies pay for flu jabs for their employees. And only takes one member of the band you're going to see to be off for the gig to be off.

10 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Well finally got around to cancelling Disneyland Paris today.  Was easy.  I still have a deposit on a trip to New York in October but highly doubtful that is going to happen.

This fish is going to be swimming local again for 2021 😞 Miss travelling so much 😞

With the UK's new strategy, surely the next wave will be the last significant one. Cases will probably go sky high very quickly, but then they'll come down again within weeks of going up and more countries will be open to letting people travel. It's possible you might be alright for October.

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

I guess my concern is similar … I’ve had the double jab and likely to be protected as is very clear with vaccines doing the job … but I still don’t fancy covid or flu ? But with high prevelance of the virus my risk of getting it increases … I’ve also fortunately never had flu in my lifetime but see the risk of getting covid as much much higher .. cos I’m surrounded by it 

Your concerns are understandable mate, especially as you had to shield at the start of the pandemic. Whilst the odds are massively in your favour if you do pick up the virus, I fully get why you’d feel nervous still. I think you are doing the right things to combat though by easing yourself back out there and having events planned. You’ll get there in the end but don’t worry it’s perfectly normal to feel anxious about it all. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

I think people will settle into a normal routine at some point.  Will someone who wakes up with a runny nose really stay off work and get a test ?  

The route back to normal is going to involve ignoring all this to some level.

I don't have contact tracing on, if I get a headache I carry on with my normal day.  Just like I always have done.  if I start coughing my lungs up or have a fever - that would be different.

They are pushing getting back to ‘normality’ again already.

I think it’s going to be cautious from a few businesses and imagine the good ones will now be much more flexible to letting people (even the minions and doers who were never allowed before the pandemic due to the way middle management viewed their status) work from home - if they can - if they’re suffering from headaches/colds etc.

1 minute ago, Ryan1984 said:

They are pushing getting back to ‘normality’ again already.

I think it’s going to be cautious from a few businesses and imagine the good ones will now be much more flexible to letting people (even the minions and doers who were never allowed before the pandemic due to the way middle management viewed their status) work from home - if they can - if they’re suffering from headaches/colds etc.

Yeah that should be the case from businesses, I reckon the ones that don’t show that flexibility will see their strongest performing workers going to businesses that do offer that.

I don’t think we’ll really see an equivalent of how things were before the pandemic for some time yet.