2021 Headliners

5 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

so 9   years between appearances then ? id be quite shocked if it were that long ....  did you not think they might sneak in somewhere this year ? or did i imagine that ? 

I thought they would turn up in some capacity this year in an unannounced slot somewhere as part of the festival’s birthday celebrations, but I don’t expect to see them back headlining any time soon.

5 minutes ago, Andy0808 v5 said:

Surely Chris Martin knows he’s become a meme for showing up at Glastonbury. The John Terry of Glastonbury.

It must put him off wanting to do it anytime soon, let alone the Eavii. Unless they really are stuck I can’t see Coldplay back.

well he does know that already .... but its if hes able to say sod the online abuse crap thing , or not because of those massive numbers that love a coldplay performance 

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Someone told me BST put a feeler out to DM one year. Could see them doing that.

I’m not sure about Florence, for reasons I can’t really put my finger on. She had a lot of momentum behind her when she headlined and she smashed it. Since then I haven’t really seen that interest continue. She seems to be a bit distant from what’s popular right now. If people asked me to suggest female headliners she wouldn’t be at the front of my mind.

She headlined and did it well in 2015 but I don’t see how 2021/2022 would be much different? She hasn’t really had any hit singles since.

She had ‘Hunger’ which was a big hit

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

I do think Glastonbury eventually does look like any year despite whether it’s an anniversary or a special one. I’m expecting a pretty standard lineup with one or two surprises. Even 2020 looked pretty standard, secret sets aside.

Also post COVID I’m expecting a lot of what they had pencilled in to fall through, potentially because of changing tour plans and artist anxiety to commit to a tour.

Tldr I’m expecting a pretty standard Glastonbury lineup with a few things that make it stand out here and there. A caveat is that a standard Glastonbury is still fucking brilliant.

I think 2020 would have been more stacked than normal with Aerosmith and Mumford on the bill in supporting slots, plus two mahoosive headliners in Macca and Taylor, a huge legend booking, a cultural icon in Kendrick and almost certainly some other surprises, but agree with everything else you said.

We scoff at the notion now, but I’d be braced for Gorillaz headlining. Obviously nowhere near first choice, but this might be a year where going for the 5th or 6th choice is just what happens. I frankly don’t care because if Glastonbury goes ahead, whatever is on the bill it will be the most special edition in its history, but yeah lofty expectations of Elton swooping in to a ave the day, or Madonna finally taking the pay cut should probably be set to one side.

It’s also why I could see Coldplay as an option. They would absolutely be willing to do the festival a favour and step in. There’s a good choice it may not be about “well they played too recently” or “nah they’re big not enough” but rather who is left on the table.

Sounds bleak but nah, it’ll be the best yet regardless. Michael doing karaoke for 2 hours would do for me as long as I’m in that field!

Edited by jparx

37 minutes ago, jparx said:

I think 2020 would have been more stacked than normal with Aerosmith and Mumford on the bill in supporting slots, plus two mahoosive headliners in Macca and Taylor, a huge legend booking, a cultural icon in Kendrick and almost certainly some other surprises, but agree with everything else you said.

We scoff at the notion now, but I’d be braced for Gorillaz headlining. Obviously nowhere near first choice, but this might be a year where going for the 5th or 6th choice is just what happens. I frankly don’t care because if Glastonbury goes ahead, whatever is on the bill it will be the most special edition in its history, but yeah lofty expectations of Elton swooping in to a ave the day, or Madonna finally taking the pay cut should probably be set to one side.

It’s also why I could see Coldplay as an option. They would absolutely be willing to do the festival a favour and step in. There’s a good choice it may not be about “well they played too recently” or “nah they’re big not enough” but rather who is left on the table.

Sounds bleak but nah, it’ll be the best yet regardless. Michael doing karaoke for 2 hours would do for me as long as I’m in that field!

M*mf*rd were gonna be there? Eesh. 🤮

44 minutes ago, jparx said:

Didn’t coldplay jump into save the day in 2016 perhaps after prince passing away

Damn, Taylor and Kendrick both seemingly out in a matter of days.

We need some new names to start popping up at the top of festival lineups or things are gonna start looking a little grim, although I’m willing to be a slight optimist and think/hope we’re just anticipating the worst when there’s a strong Plan B already in place rather than having to resort to the likes of Gorillaz.

Just now, FloorFiller said:

Damn, Taylor and Kendrick both seemingly out in a matter of days.

We need some new names to start popping up at the top of festival lineups or things are gonna start looking a little grim, although I’m willing to be a slight optimist and think/hope we’re just anticipating the worst when there’s a strong Plan B already in place rather than having to resort to the likes of Gorillaz.

Strong? That guy’s done nothing for about ten years.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

Spotters badge for @visdave34. Kendrick doesn’t seem to be returning which is gutting. Woo Hah Fest which he was meant to be playing said this: ‘Kendrick will unfortunately not return in 2021. Later this year we will make even more acts for the 2021 lineup’. 

96ED26D8-6F47-45F0-B572-A99C54D7FBCC.png

Fuck. 

Ken is genuinely the most reliable source on these forums. I now don’t doubt anything he says. He said Kendrick wasn’t coming back way before anyone else and everything he’s said has been spot on.

He also said the same about Taylor and it’s spot on.

Gorillaz, the Strokes and Tyler the Creator confirmed to headline Splendour in the Grass in Oz July 2021

Based on the other European bookings and the fact that they are committing to an international 2021 schedule and not waiting things out, they’d all have to be considered for an appearance at the least with maybe Gorillaz/Strokes a slim headline chance?