2021 Headliners

39 minutes ago, eastynh said:

There was a press release last week stating that they were working on new material for a new album, in their respective home studios. They had not booked a collective studio due to the Covid pandemic. They go in 4 year cycles so hopefully the album will be ready for late spring next year.

They will then set off on their own tour. If they are going to do festivals and they usually do, I would expect them to be in 2022. They did IOW last time and it was pretty well received I think. They always makes noises about wanting to play glasto but then there always seems to be excuses. After filling West Hams stadium on the last tour, their profile has never been bigger over here. They will probably take the cash and do one of those day festivals in London.

Oh word I knew about their cyclical touring but hadn't clocked that we're coming up to their on-season.

I agree 2022. Really should be this time though. I feel that if 2018 wasn't a fallow year they'd have played.

You never know though there could have been an informal agreement between Flo and Emily that as they stepped up when they weren’t ready Emily would have them back to headline 5 or so years later. Could be a thank you arrangement for 2015 as that was a pretty sticky year.

Edited by Matt42

51 minutes ago, eastynh said:

There was a press release last week stating that they were working on new material for a new album, in their respective home studios. They had not booked a collective studio due to the Covid pandemic. They go in 4 year cycles so hopefully the album will be ready for late spring next year.

They will then set off on their own tour. If they are going to do festivals and they usually do, I would expect them to be in 2022. They did IOW last time and it was pretty well received I think. They always makes noises about wanting to play glasto but then there always seems to be excuses. After filling West Hams stadium on the last tour, their profile has never been bigger over here. They will probably take the cash and do one of those day festivals in London.

For what it is worth, I would advise anyone to go see them in Germany or one of the Eastern Block countries. Its an entirely different world. I am hoping to do LA and somewhere in South America next year. The obsession with them in LA is unreal.

The reason they don’t play Glastonbury is money.  They have been asked numerous times.  And the source of that info is from as close as it gets. 

ok so have we ruled out coldplay as a last minute fill in if they cant find anyone else ? longest gap between performances has been 6 years ... next year will be 5 ........ I know  Chris Martin made his statement ... maybe they will return in another capacity but I can only see them headline pyramid 

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

ok so have we ruled out coldplay as a last minute fill in if they cant find anyone else ? longest gap between performances has been 6 years ... next year will be 5 ........ I know  Chris Martin made his statement ... maybe they will return in another capacity but I can only see them headline pyramid 

There’s nothing ruling them out ever really. For any year. If they are around and things are sticky bookings wise they are always an option.

7 minutes ago, sisco said:

The reason they don’t play Glastonbury is money.  They have been asked numerous times.  And the source of that info is from as close as it gets. 

Those analog synths don't come cheap. Someone needs to tell them that the Behringer clones are absolutely fantastic and cost a fraction of the price. Maybe then we might see them at Glasto.

It does seem strange though, considering Dave Gahan  played solo there and would have done it for a pittance in comparison to his usual fee. Now i don't have any sources, I am just a fan, but I reckon Dave would be well up for it. Would I be right in suggesting it is Martin who is the stumbling block?

Edited by eastynh

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

Its daft to say but given the time gaps they are almost due to appear ...

I don’t think they were planning to tour the latest album at all so I don’t see them cropping up at Glastonbury even if the festival was in need of a favour. And although they’ve headlined with less of a gap between their appearances, it definitely feels too soon, especially with a fallow year and cancelled festival in between. 

15 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

She's not gonna be top of the list, what with there only being one album since the last time and it wasn't as big a crowdpleaser as the previous three, but if the festival wants headliners with a strong female presence (providing F+TM tour again) then that's an easy booking to make. I'm just thinking that if Lady Gaga is only doing those two European shows then there isn't really anyone else jumping out. Billie Eilish too soon, Madonna wants mad dollar, Fleetwood Mac and Lana Del Rey are not touring, Arcade Fire unlikely to be touring, I don't think Dua Lipa is there yet, Rihanna has fucking retired or something... Florence and the Machine!

They could easily say they just didn't have anyone available but might be kinda rubbish after having Swift and Lana in high positions last time to replace them with dude acts.

Having all male headliners amongst a generally balanced lineup would be fine as long as there’s still women in prominent slots (Diana Ross, Dua Lipa, Haim etc). It wouldn’t be too dissimilar to Primavera this year and next year, although obviously Glastonbury’s more high profile. 

I was trying to think of women who could replace Lana as a Pyramid sub and I’m struggling to think of many. I had thought The xx could be back but it seems like they’ll be doing solo stuff next year. Perhaps Lizzo if she’s around, maybe a bump up for Haim with the success of the new album or Wolf Alice if their new album does well.

1 minute ago, Cream Soda said:

I'm not sure how they will ever top 2016. Say what you like about Coldplay but I don't think anyone can deny they absolutely smashed that set 

oh im not doubting appearances believe me .... ive been at most of them so know how good they can be for me  ... ive just not really seen them discussed so far for 2021 so was wondering how they might / might not fit 

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

oh im not doubting appearances believe me .... ive been at most of them so know how good they can be for me  ... ive just not really seen them discussed so far for 2021 so was wondering how they might / might not fit 

I almost want them to go out on the high of that set but I know it's inevitable that they'll do it again at some point. I just have no idea how they'll top it. Maybe they'd have to do something totally different like a really stripped back set with no bells and whistles?

1 minute ago, Cream Soda said:

I almost want them to go out on the high of that set but I know it's inevitable that they'll do it again at some point. I just have no idea how they'll top it. Maybe they'd have to do something totally different like a really stripped back set with no bells and whistles?

I must have missed the year with bells and whistles ...:( I didnt even get one of those light up wristbands :( 

Coldplay smashed it in 2016 and really made full use of the pyramid stage. I can’t imagine they weren’t a part of the 50th anniversary, but now we’ve moved on from anniversary numbers I can’t see them coming back for a special occasion, as those have passed.

Coldplay can play absolutely any year but I don’t see it being soon. This year was the year really to get them back if they wanted to.

11 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Those analog synths don't come cheap. Someone needs to tell them that the Behringer clones are absolutely fantastic and cost a fraction of the price. Maybe then we might see them at Glasto.

It does seem strange though, considering Dave Gahan  played solo there and would have done it for a pittance in comparison to his usual fee. Now i don't have any sources, I am just a fan, but I reckon Dave would be well up for it. Would I be right in suggesting it is Martin who is the stumbling block?

No mate.  My info comes from Dave's side.  Although, for them all to get together it’s a strain so maybe that’s why it’s about the money these days

Just now, Matt42 said:

Coldplay smashed it in 2016 and really made full use of the pyramid stage. I can’t imagine they weren’t a part of the 50th anniversary, but now we’ve moved on from anniversary numbers I can’t see them coming back for a special occasion, as those have passed.

Coldplay can play absolutely any year but I don’t see it being soon. This year was the year really to get them back if they wanted to.

Aren't they trying to sell next year as a 50th plus version ? im sure Michael said something similar ... although i am aware of Michaels enthusiasm 

6 minutes ago, sisco said:

No mate.  My info comes from Dave's side.  Although, for them all to get together it’s a strain so maybe that’s why it’s about the money these days

There is definitely an internal power struggle within the band. From a creative standpoint, it seems Martin does not want to accept losing the song writing kudos. Dave wants more input and wants his songs to be incorporated. Martin needs Dave and Dave needs Martin, as on their own, they do not have the same pull.

I am absolutely sure Emily said in an interview (on the BBC maybe?) recently they’ll be using all the “tricks they had up their sleeves” (or something like that) next year. 

Im convinced that pretty much anyone who was going to do anything for the 50th (e.g legacy bands) would be down for just doing it a year later...

Mmm to be honest I think we need to adjust our expectations here and not expect a double header 50th + post COVID mega event. We’re already seeing acts hold off touring with all the uncertainty and I think overseas acts especially could be a bit thinner on the ground.

Maybe it’ll all come together, but none of the festival lineups for 2021 look particularly impressive or exciting yet. It may, understandably, be a rather thrown together event and perhaps even scaled down a fraction, certainly in terms of mega acts on the bill. I would definitely set my expectations low for the lineup and be more focussed on how amazing it will be just walk through the gates next year.

I do think Glastonbury eventually does look like any year despite whether it’s an anniversary or a special one. I’m expecting a pretty standard lineup with one or two surprises. Even 2020 looked pretty standard, secret sets aside.

Also post COVID I’m expecting a lot of what they had pencilled in to fall through, potentially because of changing tour plans and artist anxiety to commit to a tour.

Tldr I’m expecting a pretty standard Glastonbury lineup with a few things that make it stand out here and there. A caveat is that a standard Glastonbury is still fucking brilliant.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I can’t see Coldplay back headlining for another five or so years to be honest. Probably album after the next one.

so 9   years between appearances then ? id be quite shocked if it were that long ....  did you not think they might sneak in somewhere this year ? or did i imagine that ? 

41 minutes ago, eastynh said:

There is definitely an internal power struggle within the band. From a creative standpoint, it seems Martin does not want to accept losing the song writing kudos. Dave wants more input and wants his songs to be incorporated. Martin needs Dave and Dave needs Martin, as on their own, they do not have the same pull.

Defo that mate.  Dave would certainly love the other not to be there but..... not going to happen for the reasons you say