Kendrick Lamar

JoeyT

Kendrick Lamar - Would you be there?  

623 members have voted

1. 1. Now listed as a SR - Will you be watching if he's headlining?

• Yes - Definitely, regardless of who else is on the other stages.
    • More than likely - Depending on strength of the clashes on other stages.
    • Unlikely - Know a couple of songs but there would probably be something else on you'd watch instead.
    • No - Not a fan so will be elsewhere

21 minutes ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

I actually really rate the record name. The Big Steppers! What’s not to like. 

i was around in single form before the record version and for my money single version is better. When Humble came out was proper exciting so I hope there’s a big come back single. 

You don’t want to like a record before you’ve already heard it but I’m feeling a future classic myself. Kendrick is one of if not the best artist of our time in my opinion. Even comes out a day after my birthday. 

Who do we want to see producing on it/potential features? Would love for Inflo to have worked on it. Maybe a 3 stacks feature as there were the rumours about him working with Dre.

I'd like many of the same producers he's worked with over the years to still be involved because they've had incredible results already. Need Sounwave, DJ Dahi, Terrace Martin and also hopefully more production from 9th Wonder. Hit-Boy could make some magic. I guess it all depends on the genre of the album though. I would be partial to Kendrick with some Premier production. 

The title to me sounds like it's going to incorporate more funk and a little bit of jazz again, but who knows. I think it almost sounds like it could be a sort of punky album which ties in with the rumours of a rock-influenced record from aaaaages ago, although it has been a long time.

Artists I'd love to see featured would definitely be Little Simz after he's praised her in the past.

35 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

It feels like Glastonbury is a hype show. To capture the attention of the world before a much larger tour probably next year.

We are so. so. so. Lucky. 

Eh I mean I don’t deny it’s an incredibly well-timed booking but it’s not like it’s his only date this summer. Hasn’t been confirmed he’ll allow it be televised yet either (and he’s said no to that in the past). 

vegas setlist would bomb at glastonbury sadly. nobody will know the section 80 stuff. dont forget, this is the same place nobody knew hold my liqour, blood in the leaves or lost in the world. chances of anyone knowing ronald reagen era, hol up, fye or hipower are slim.

2 hours ago, Ddiamondd said:

Legit hope everything's alright. One of the board's most active contributors going off a sudden cliff-edge of silence is odd, and a thread checking up on him seemed like a strange target to be hit by one of dear leader's erratic deletions.

2 hours ago, Divein said:

Oh man I hope he’s ok, easily my favourite poster on here. I’m sure he’s very hyped for the new album though whatever he’s up to. 

2 hours ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

I assumed he was disgusted by cuckgate and quit the forum but maybe there is more to it 

Hello! All is fine. Just stepped off the forum for a while.

It seems people have correctly assumed why so will leave it at that. I didn't know about any threads or I'd have logged in and said hello sooner.

Anyway, to bring it on topic, I am definitely looking forward to this album, and the whole May/June album release list. It's gearing up to be like 2013 when there was a tranche of highly anticipated albums all at once. Here's hoping it'll be as high quality a summer as that was. It is funny though that some big albums around that time have 1950's album titles.

Enjoy it, and enjoy the festival if I don't pop by again.

Peace and fuckin' ☮️

• Upvote 6

46 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

It seems people have correctly assumed why so will leave it at that. I didn't know about any threads or I'd have logged in and said hello sooner.

Anyway, to bring it on topic, I am definitely looking forward to this album, and the whole May/June album release list. It's gearing up to be like 2013 when there was a tranche of highly anticipated albums all at once. Here's hoping it'll be as high quality a summer as that was. It is funny though that some big albums around that time have 1950's album titles.

Peace and fuckin' ☮️

Glad to hear you’re all good mate. Have a good fest. 

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

1 hour ago, TiZuff said:

vegas setlist would bomb at glastonbury sadly. nobody will know the section 80 stuff. dont forget, this is the same place nobody knew hold my liqour, blood in the leaves or lost in the world. chances of anyone knowing ronald reagen era, hol up, fye or hipower are slim.

Ah I disagree to be honest, largely because Kanye probably attracted a more casual crowd than Kendrick would. 

15 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

Ah I disagree to be honest, largely because Kanye probably attracted a more casual crowd than Kendrick would. 

Kanye’s discography as a whole (at least up until Yeezus) is much more commercial and accessible than anything Kendrick’s put out, with the possible exception of the singles from GKMC. If the typical Pyramid-dweller didn’t know songs from MBDTF then there’s absolutely zero chance they’d know anything from Section 80.

That said I wouldn’t expect Kendrick to give a fuck, he’ll play what he wants. Now that we know he’s releasing a new album six weeks before the festival, we have to prepare for the possibility he plays that album in full. With an encore of Humble and Alright if he’s in a generous mood. 

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

1 minute ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Kanye’s discography as a whole (at least up until Yeezus) is much more commercial and accessible than anything Kendrick’s put out, with the possible exception of the singles from GKMC. If the typical Pyramid-dweller didn’t know songs from MBDTF then there’s absolutely zero chance they’d know anything from Section 80.

That said I wouldn’t expect Kendrick to give a fuck, he’ll play what he wants. Now that we know he’s releasing a new album six weeks before the festival, we have to prepare for the possibility he plays that album in full. With an encore of Humble and Alright if he’s in a generous mood. 

Ah he had loads of pre-Damn stuff on the DAMN tour. King Kinta, Swimming Pools, Collard Greens. backseat freestyle, Maad City, bitch don’t kill my vibe, money trees.

2 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

Ah he had loads of pre-Damn stuff on the DAMN tour. King Kinta, Swimming Pools, Collard Greens. backseat freestyle, Maad City, bitch don’t kill my vibe, money trees.

Yeah of course - in the eventual full album tour you’d expect him to still bring out the old bangers. But a festival show from him six weeks after an album launch carries a high risk of being very new album heavy. Especially if he allows it to be televised. 

16 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Yeah of course - in the eventual full album tour you’d expect him to still bring out the old bangers. But a festival show from him six weeks after an album launch carries a high risk of being very new album heavy. Especially if he allows it to be televised. 

I saw him at Bonnaroo a few months after TPAB came out and he just played 3-4 songs from it at the end of the set. Data point

9 hours ago, Matt42 said:

It feels like Glastonbury is a hype show. To capture the attention of the world before a much larger tour probably next year.

We are so. so. so. Lucky. 

To me it feels like the payoff Glasto gets for hanging in there and honouring their commitment to the booking. We'll probably never know but I reckon Kendrick left it late in the day before confirming, leaving others festivals unable to keep the slot open for him. Or, maybe he decided he'd rather earn more by touring the new album than doing lots of festivals as soon as it's released, and Glasto happened to be one of the very few bookings he chose to stick with.

Either way, as you say, we're incredibly lucky to have one of the great musical artists perform just a few weeks after the latest album following a string of classics.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Peace and fuckin' ☮️

Good to see you dude.

First two weeks in May for releases…

6th - Arcade Fire, Belle and Sebastian, RBCF

13th - Kendrick, Black Keys, Florence, The Smile (unconfirmed)

44 minutes ago, discgoesmic said:

Absolutely, I think the hype is overshadowed by Kendrick a bit but Pusha is in his own lane. DAYTONA was fantastic so I have very high hopes. 

the single with Jay Z, Diet Coke and the stuff on the Nigo album have been fantastic.

"Punch Bowl" has been on repeat for me 

Seriously hyped about this, was really hoping he'd have more new material out before the festival - bodes very well for the headline performance as the attention this album will get is huge. Can understand the delays, there's a lot of pressure for this to solidify him as one of the greatest ever, and to go 4 for 4 in releasing some of the most celebrated albums in hip hop (5/5 with Section 80 as well but it obviously didn't have the same impact as the 3 albums which came after).

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a comeback single coming this Friday or next, seems to be the way album rollouts work in this streaming era and it would make sense to keep the momentum up. I suppose Kendrick doesn't really abide by industry standards though so who knows. At least 13th May isn't too long away anyway.

Based on Instagram shares, some of the producers involved are The Alchemist, Boi-1da, Terrace Martin, Cardo, DJ Dahi and Sounwave, and Anderson Paak is a potential feature also. Hoping we get that Little Simz feature, and Jorja Smith would be nice too.

It's possible that he's been teasing the Mr Morale theme in his last two performances - the choreography is consistent and somewhat fits with the name. Bit of a reach but it's something Kendrick would do to introduce his new era.