Sam Fender

sisco

Would be shocked if he didn't add a third. Those tickets went like absolute hot cakes.

Given he seems a permanent fixture at TRNSMT - and they've never been shy about rebooking artists quickly - think his Scottish show will be there, unless he simply plumps for an arena gig. Throw in Reading and Leeds, plus BST Hyde Park perhaps? I'm behind the times on the rumour mill.

Sam Fender cancels string of shows to focus on mental health | ITV News Tyne Tees

Burnt out and cancelling the rest of his US shows to concentrate on his mental health, sounds as if he plans to come back in November for the Australian dates and he needs a break before then. His touring schedule has been relentless this year :-(. Everything crossed he has the break he and the band need and he's back ready and enjoying it again at the end of the year

30 minutes ago, Funkyfairy! said:

Sam Fender cancels string of shows to focus on mental health | ITV News Tyne Tees

Burnt out and cancelling the rest of his US shows to concentrate on his mental health, sounds as if he plans to come back in November for the Australian dates and he needs a break before then. His touring schedule has been relentless this year :-(. Everything crossed he has the break he and the band need and he's back ready and enjoying it again at the end of the year

His management team need to take into account he just can't do loads of gigs in a row. They seem to not get it and book him for everything, which unfortunately leads to lots being cancelled. 

39 minutes ago, nikkic said:

His management team need to take into account he just can't do loads of gigs in a row. They seem to not get it and book him for everything, which unfortunately leads to lots being cancelled. 

I think he needs to take his own health into account as well. Yes he has a management team but he must know his own limitations by now.

It's a shame as he's so good live, but he's pretty clearly not capable (for many reasons) of being able to sustain playing live to the degree he wants to, however much he wants it!

I've heard a couple of stories of how hard he goes at it after shows and actually had a friend who bumped into him at 5am the night after his set this year. I think there is very likely a link between that, combined with a rigorous tour schedule, and his mental health being obliterated. On a wider level, think it is also very telling the young male demographic (of which Sam Fender and myself are a part) where it is most likely that cocaine and alcohol are used/abused (with the former now becoming so normalised and readily available) is also that demographic where suicide is a silent killer.

Edited by hodgey123
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, hodgey123 said:

On a wider level, think it is also very telling the young male demographic (of which Sam Fender and myself are a part) where it is most likely that cocaine and alcohol are used/abused (with the former now becoming so normalised and readily available) is also that demographic where suicide is a silent killer.

The use of cocaine amongst the young is shocking.

Cocaine and alcohol when used seperately are dangerous enough, but together are a whole lot worse.

Warning of extra heart dangers from mixing cocaine and alcohol

A third chemical – cocaethylene – builds up in the liver over a number of years among those who mix the two drugs. And this is now having major health consequences.

"I first took coke when I was 18 and at university. I remember two friends who did chemistry told me I should get really drunk first because it would mix into this new chemical in my blood and make me even higher," a 30-year-old woman who works in publishing told the Observer yesterday.

What her friends did not tell her is that the combination of cocaine and alcohol in her then teenage body will have left a highly toxic chemical in her liver called cocaethylene.

While few outside the world of pharmacology have heard of the chemical, fewer still are aware of its life-threatening properties. Now, however, its side-effects, discovered in 1979, are threatening to become tragically familiar as they take their toll on users in their 30s and 40s.

Drug addiction clinics say they are becoming increasingly concerned by the health risks associated with the chemical – the only known example of the body forming a third drug following the ingestion of two others.

For not only is cocaethylene toxic in the liver, it is also blamed for heart attacks in the under-40s and a surge in social problems. But because so little is known about the drug, few experts can agree on the nature of the threat to users, and indeed society as a whole.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2009/nov/08/cocaine-alcohol-mixture-health-risks

Edited by Skip997

20 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Cocaine and alcohol when used seperately are dangerous enough, but together are a whole lot worse.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2009/nov/08/cocaine-alcohol-mixture-health-risks

I was referring more to the mental aspects of the comedown combined with hangover anxiety but agree entirely the physical impact is just as bad. 

34 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

All drugs are bad if you do too much or do them too often. It’s not the choice of drugs that’s a problem… If there is a problem there is a problem.

45 minutes ago, stuie said:

All drugs are bad if you do too much or do them too often. It’s not the choice of drugs that’s a problem… If there is a problem there is a problem.

Too simplistic a way of looking at it. Some drugs when interacting with others are much more dangerous and have a lot worse side effects. I agree with your overall sentiment (I think) that a more liberal approach to drugs generally is needed but I can see first hand the damage cocaine does to the mental health of plenty of people my age. 

On 9/12/2022 at 8:42 PM, hodgey123 said:

I've heard a couple of stories of how hard he goes at it after shows and actually had a friend who bumped into him at 5am the night after his set this year. I think there is very likely a link between that, combined with a rigorous tour schedule, and his mental health being obliterated. On a wider level, think it is also very telling the young male demographic (of which Sam Fender and myself are a part) where it is most likely that cocaine and alcohol are used/abused (with the former now becoming so normalised and readily available) is also that demographic where suicide is a silent killer.

Not to mention he smokes a lot of weed. Nothing against it, smoke it myself (rarely these days) but I know first hand what effect it can have on some people's mental health. Coupled with a relentless touring schedule with his very fast rise to popularity is a recipe for disaster.

1 hour ago, D-Low said:

Not to mention he smokes a lot of weed. Nothing against it, smoke it myself (rarely these days) but I know first hand what effect it can have on some people's mental health. Coupled with a relentless touring schedule with his very fast rise to popularity is a recipe for disaster.

If youre smoking terrible weed its a bad thing. No such thing as good weed in the uk, so it tracks.

• Upvote 1

Given his history of cancelled gigs even before his popularity grew to the level it’s reached now his management really should put his well being before profit. Far too many bands have burnt themselves out overdoing the number of gigs, PR events etc trying to satisfy the pressure from fans and management 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Neil said:

he's playing in Belfast on glasto friday.

And Dublin on the Sunday. Think that can safely rule him out of any return appearance.

If he doesn't go off a cliff commercial-level wise - and with two St James' Park shows, I'd doubt it - think he'll be in the mix for 2024/2025.

Can’t see him playing next year. Playing the same set at the same time on the same stage doesn’t add up. 

unless he headlines and can’t see that happening until 2024/5 with next album.

that said if 1 or 2 acts have cancelled headlining he would be an obvious someone to ask to headline 

5 hours ago, danbailey80 said:

Can’t see him playing next year. Playing the same set at the same time on the same stage doesn’t add up. 

unless he headlines and can’t see that happening until 2024/5 with next album.

that said if 1 or 2 acts have cancelled headlining he would be an obvious someone to ask to headline 

Most of the big UK festivals dont like to book the same acts for consecutive years (Billy Bragg aside) so I imagine he will be back to headline in 2024 - and if he's not offered a headline slot, he wont play.

• Upvote 1

Think given Fender's trajectory for now, it is headline in '24 or '25, or nothing. Definitely has the capacity to become the major guitar act of his generation - but music can twist on a dime, after all.

Wild Grey Ocean isn't going to bin off Springsteen comparisons, by any stretch, but there's a shade of Mark Knopfler in there too.