2020 headliners

jj200

8 minutes ago, ThomJG said:

Yeah but name the rock and alternative acts reading had! Glasto Had Vampire Weekend, The Cure, The Killers, Hozier, Liam Gallagher, Sheryl Crow, Carrie Underwood, Mavis Staples (show me a reading line up with Mavis on the main stage and I’ll give you a £100) and the Langa Methodist Chirch Choir!! And not to mention all the pop acts on the other stages at Reading! Look at Glasto other stage it’s indie/ rock/ alternative almost every minute of every day

I'm done. Over and out.

24 minutes ago, ThomJG said:

There’s a HUGE difference between the two, they couldn’t be more different! R+L is now a pop festival, perfectly suited to 16 year olds who just want to get drunk, it appeals to the charts and bands like the 1975, you won’t see the cure or Paul McCartney doing it! Glastonbury is completely different, a festival for all ages to forget about looking good on Instagram and being cool which I believe is the embodiment of R+L! As I type and I can feel even more hate on here but whatever I’m in deep now anyway

So why rant about something for young people?

2 hours ago, wro_lap said:

Think it’d really pay off for them to book Foals. Best live act on the planet, anyone watching their set, even retrospectively, would see they’re worthy 50th anniversary headliners.

In discussion of that rant (which, despite being a Foals fan, I did find funny), I do genuinely see the 1975/1D comparison.

I like Foals. Good on record. Good live. I'd be made up if they headlined...but...for you to call them the best live act on the planet though is an act of mind-scrambling madness. Insanity. Not even close. I could name you twenty acts without coming up for air that are better. I can only assume you don't get out much or are Foals' manager.

Edited by Superscally

I saw The 1975 play in 2014 and remember being slightly bewildered at the disparity between how pleased they were with themselves and the quality of their music. I remember thinking ‘don’t they realise everyone’s just trying to get a good spot for Dolly?’  

I lingered on the edges of The Foals’ packed out secret set at The Park in 2019, listened for a few minutes, then became distracted by getting the correct proportions as I decanted the vodka in my steel bottle into a coke from Stonebridge. 

Both bands generated ambivalence but The 1975 managed to also be annoying so on that basis, if we have to endure one of these acts taking up a coveted headline slot at the 50th, I hope it isn’t The 1975. They would also be there 5 years too early and that would rankle me throughout their set in the unlikely event I’d hear a single crochet of it. 

7 minutes ago, kalifire said:

I lingered on the edges of The Foals’ packed out secret set at The Park in 2019, listened for a few minutes, then became distracted by getting the correct proportions as I decanted the vodka in my steel bottle into a coke from Stonebridge. 

This is an acceptable priority, almost regardless of the band in question.

8 minutes ago, kalifire said:

They would also be there 5 years too early and that would rankle me throughout their set in the unlikely event I’d hear a single crochet of it. 

Even if it meant getting a good spot for Doily? 

12 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

@eFestivals did you get any specific info to notch Foals up to SR? I know your feeling is that they are part of a contingency plan but is there anything that spurred you on to list them as such in the first place?

it just seems obvious to me that their secret set in 2019 equals a prominent set in 2020.

It's the sort of thing the festival does. Also see the bands for Pilton Party.

1 hour ago, ThomJG said:

There’s a HUGE difference between the two, they couldn’t be more different! R+L is now a pop festival, perfectly suited to 16 year olds who just want to get drunk, it appeals to the charts and bands like the 1975, you won’t see the cure or Paul McCartney doing it! Glastonbury is completely different, a festival for all ages to forget about looking good on Instagram and being cool which I believe is the embodiment of R+L! As I type and I can feel even more hate on here but whatever I’m in deep now anyway

I wouldn't say R&L is a pop festival anymore than Glastonbury is, Glastonbury is way more mainstream and commercial that it used to be. R&L and Leeds has been full of 16 year olds wanting to get get drunk for a long time and it basically books the scene that the majority are into right now but you had Royal Blood subbing, Frank Carter, ADTR, The Distillers, Anderson.Paak, AJ Tracey and Countefiet all playing main stage for e.g., that isn't a pop festival.

Edited by thewayiam
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

it just seems obvious to me that their secret set in 2019 equals a prominent set in 2020.

It's the sort of thing the festival does. Also see the bands for Pilton Party.

I see. Fair enough. I thought to be all the way up to SR would be that you've heard it's happening somewhere but I can understand the thinking.

If the 1975 are playing they are headlining. If the Foals are playing they are probably headlining but it's not impossible they'd take a lower slot.  I'd prefer the Foals but would be quite happy with both.  Or neither.  Or just the 1975 and for this discussion to end.

• Upvote 1