2020 headliners

jj200

1 minute ago, Quark said:

Not really.  I mean, I'm not about to go back over the lists of headliners from the last 50 years, but there's always been a range of bands headlining, let alone across the rest of the festival away from the Pyramid.  Hip hop has been a latecomer to the party (Jay-Z might want a word about your point btw!) but it's definitely not a rock festival. Contemporary Performing Arts is the official tagline.

Don't disagree that Green Day and Weezer could slot in quite happily somewhere though.

As headliner and sub (or sub-sub if you take FOB too), they're stadium touring bands it would be an insult to offer them anything less. 

Edited by madmaninabox

8 minutes ago, madmaninabox said:

Three of the best bands in that scene? Surely if Glasto wants to continue to claim to be a rock festival it needs to finally acknowledge the existence of pop-punk. Green Day are about to release album number 14 (or 13 depending on your counting method). They're more than big enough to headline. 

It aims to be contemporary aka all things to all people, not specifically a rock festival.

1 minute ago, madmaninabox said:

As headliner and sub, they're stadium touring bands it would be an insult to offer them anything less. 

Your view is biased as a fan. Think of the Glastonbury audience. Green Day I agree would be headliner level and probably nothing less at this point unless it was a secret set.

Weezer as much as I like them, could slot in anywhere between 2-6 on the Pyramid Stage or even be high on the Other Stage.

2 minutes ago, madmaninabox said:

As headliner and sub, they're stadium touring bands it would be an insult to offer them anything less. 

That's made me chuckle. Thanks for a smile.

Look, a lot of bands have enough draw within their own fan base to put on stadium tours, and best of luck to them.  That doesn't always equate to being guaranteed a headline slot at a festival, especially not outside of their country of origin. They might headline, they might not.  Insult doesn't come into it.

5 hours ago, thewayiam said:

Just to see, would people be happy if they announced The 1975, FM and Arctic Monkeys as a trio?

You wouldn’t see me near any of those headliners. I did enjoy FM earlier this year, but seeing them once would be enough for me. AM never seems to work for me live. And The 1975... I don’t know in which universe they’re ready to headline such a big festival. Saw them a few months ago and they were mediocre at best.

Just now, Quark said:

That's made me chuckle. Thanks for a smile.

Look, a lot of bands have enough draw within their own fan base to put on stadium tours, and best of luck to them.  That doesn't always equate to being guaranteed a headline slot at a festival, especially not outside of their country of origin. They might headline, they might not.  Insult doesn't come into it.

I'd accept an argument Weezer might not be big enough to sub.

The idea Green Day aren't big enough to headline Glastonbury is utterly ludicrous and as hilarious you might find it an insult. The 50th anniversary of Glasto should be a celebration of 50 years of music, and post-punk is a massive part of those 50 years. Green Day are an ideal headliner.

Just now, madmaninabox said:

I'd accept an argument Weezer might not be big enough to sub.

The idea Green Day aren't big enough to headline Glastonbury is utterly ludicrous and as hilarious you might find it an insult. The 50th anniversary of Glasto should be a celebration of 50 years of music, and post-punk is a massive part of those 50 years. Green Day are an ideal headliner.

Come on, I never said they're not big enough, don't be inferring what ain't there. It's exhausting enough defending what I do say without arguing about the things I don't.

On 9/9/2019 at 8:45 AM, JSmurphy said:

Be a mammoth gig if it happened. Would expect Weezer to get a decent time even if they're bottom of the pile, then 75 minutes for Fall Out Boy and it's unlike Green Day to play for anything less than 2 hours. London Stadium had some of the best sound I've heard at a gig so it'd be a shame if this fell during Glastonbury. 

1 minute ago, Quark said:

As opposed to stuck in the 90s / early 00s?

Setled let's just give em the lend slot. They're old enough now:

40 minutes ago, robillustrates said:

I'd prefer even the likes of Taylor Swift or Lady Gaga get a shot at the headline spot over well the 1975 (yawn)

A booking i'd like to see Pearl Jam or the impossible RHCP bury the hatchet booking :D

I don't know how anyone could suggest that The 1975 would be a more boring headliner than RHCP of all people.

Anyways, I think if there is one thing you can't call the 1975 its boring, they have a large variety of material, extensive lightshow, charismatic frontman (whether you like that character or not, it doesn't matter)...

12 minutes ago, Quark said:

Come on, I never said they're not big enough, don't be inferring what ain't there. It's exhausting enough defending what I do say without arguing about the things I don't.

To be honest think the bigger issue is there's not a chance in hell that Eavis is giving any headliner a 3 hour slot, which would simply be too short for Green Day - that tour of there's could be mammoth. 3 hours for Green Day, 90 minutes for FOB, 60 minutes for Weezer then 30  minutes for the 4th act maybe? So that's 6hrs hours before you even put changeovers in, maybe an 8 hour stint. Was thinking of going for standing but fuck that.

2 minutes ago, madmaninabox said:

To be honest think the bigger issue is there's not a chance in hell that Eavis is giving any headliner a 3 hour slot, which would simply be too short for Green Day - that tour of there's could be mammoth. 3 hours for Green Day, 90 minutes for FOB, 60 minutes for Weezer then 30  minutes for the 4th act maybe? So that's 6hrs hours before you even put changeovers in, maybe an 8 hour stint. Was thinking of going for standing but fuck that.

Can't speak for their own tour, but if they don't get booked as a headliner at Glastonbury it wouldn't be because they can't fit into the allotted time. If the Rolling bloody Stones can squeeze into a 2 1/4 hour set I don't think it'd be an issue for Green Day.

9 minutes ago, Quark said:

Can't speak for their own tour, but if they don't get booked as a headliner at Glastonbury it wouldn't be because they can't fit into the allotted time. If the Rolling bloody Stones can squeeze into a 2 1/4 hour set I don't think it'd be an issue for Green Day.

It's not about whether they could fit into the allotted time, it's more there willingness to do so. 

6 minutes ago, madmaninabox said:

It's not about whether they could fit into the allotted time, it's more there willingness to do so. 

Are their collective egos that big though?  Your average headliner set on the Pyramid is between 90 mins and 2 hours, with some going a bit beyond the 2 (Stones, Springsteen, McCartney).  Are Green Day realistically going to turn it down if they don't get a 3 hr set? Don't know their attitude to such things enough to make an absolute statement, but I would be absolutely amazed if that was the case.

2 minutes ago, Quark said:

Are their collective egos that big though?  Your average headliner set on the Pyramid is between 90 mins and 2 hours, with some going a bit beyond the 2 (Stones, Springsteen, McCartney).  Are Green Day realistically going to turn it down if they don't get a 3 hr set? Don't know their attitude to such things enough to make an absolute statement, but I would be absolutely amazed if that was the case.

There American, so the cultural significance of Glastonbury is probably a bit lost on them to be honest. I don't think they would outright turn it down based on set length. There Reading 2013 headline set was 2 1/4 hours so they will do shorter sets than they might ideally want to do.

But I can imagine this conversation:

Eavis: Hello, Billie Joe, wanna play Glastonbury? 

Billie Joe: Yessir

Eavis: Cool, is 90 minutes okay.

Billie Joe: We were think more 2 1/2 hours?

Eavis: Faff off,  The 1975 have said 90 minutes is cool by them or I can give The Who 2 1/2 hours and there less of a outside booking anyway. You know what I think of post-punk anyway. Bye

5 minutes ago, madmaninabox said:

Don't think they do. Unlike other festivals you can play Glasto without dampening your tour sales. 

It's more the consecutive run of dates and historically how many back to back shows they're willing to play without a break.  Not 100% ruled out, but makes them very unlikely. Was a discussion on it in the Green Day 2020 thread I think.

You talk like Billie Joe and Eavis have no idea of each other, BJ was backstage at Glastonbury this year and may well have crossed paths and been introduced in the past. Highly doubt Green Day would refuse Glastonbury over the length of their set. They would probably go for 2 hours over 90 minutes and would probably get it too.

I don't think you'd see them at Glastonbury anyway. Seen GD 3/4 times over the years.

Edited by robillustrates