2020 headliners

jj200

Oh yeah I don’t presume to know! But there’s evidence to suggest it was them. For example Elton was about to announce his three year final tour which would end in June 2020, and Fleetwood Mac simply needed so much convincing and negotiating that they had to book three years in advance. But could have been other maybe someone they had to convince to reform 

50th doesn't change too much unless you are somebody who cares. Macca was supposedly due to play last year. He would've been a bigger headliner than anybody who will play the 50th. It simply isn't as simple as, this year we'll get Fleetwood Mac instead of The 1975. As @Hugh Jass says, it still comes down to availability. Some artists rate Glasto as the be all and end all, others see it as another gig.

My prediction:

We spend the next few weeks arguing about who is / isn't big enough or should / shouldn't appear based on whether they are "right" for the festival, musically brilliant but a bit of a dick, or past it / not proven enough.

The first acts gets announced and we spend the next couple of months re-stating all of the above points but now about someone specific.

Repeat until June.

We all go, have a wonderful time, and find that most of us who were most vocal about headliners had no plans to go anywhere near the Pyramid anyway.

Reset for 2021.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Anybody reckons Foals would do it over The 1975 is more out of touch that Hall and Oats.

The 1975 are a bigger band on paper but - to most folk - it’s much of a muchness. Foals would likely actually be more popular among Glastonbury clientele because their fans are, on average, a little older and their booking wouldn’t provoke a strongly negative reaction.

8 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

The 1975 look nailed on to me.

Their manager seemed to indicate that they weren’t booked about two weeks ago.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Quark said:

My prediction:

We spend the next few weeks arguing about who is / isn't big enough or should / shouldn't appear based on whether they are "right" for the festival, musically brilliant but a bit of a dick, or past it / not proven enough.

The first acts gets announced and we spend the next couple of months re-stating all of the above points but now about someone specific.

Repeat until June.

We all go, have a wonderful time, and find that most of us who were most vocal about headliners had no plans to go anywhere near the Pyramid anyway.

Reset for 2021.

I just want a ticket!!!

But once that is secure I will be checking this thread as often as my working life permits!

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Three commercially and critically successful albums, another one due next year, sell out arenas with ease, recently headlined Reading/Leeds....

The above applies to both Kendrick and The 1975, yet for some reason people have no problem with the idea of one headlining but not the other.

Also Fall Out Boy.

5 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Three commercially and critically successful albums, another one due next year, sell out arenas with ease, recently headlined Reading/Leeds....

The above applies to both Kendrick and The 1975, yet for some reason people have no problem with the idea of one headlining but not the other.

Yeah because we're all snobs and one is a generation defining artist and the other is a kiddie band.

4 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

The elephant in the room with regards to Kendrick could be the fee, which I assume would be considerably lower than he has become accustomed to.

Wasn't he the highest paid artist to headline R/L?

I think so yeah. Saying that, I'm sure Emily went to see him when he toured last year, so you would think they're keen to get him. I suggested Foals, Kendrick and Elton a couple of weeks ago but I think Foals, Kendrick and Fleetwood Mac would be a good set of headliners. With those three you've got a big British band who will go down well with the Glastonbury crowd, the most critically acclaimed artist of this decade and a legendary act they've wanted for years.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, priest17 said:

If we assume Macca won't be there due to solid info ruling him out/refuse to get hopes again after last years heartbreak, Kendrick is the best headliner we could possibly hope for.

Does his interview on radio 2 the other day not change things?

2 minutes ago, RossTC said:

Does his interview on radio 2 the other day not change things?

Maybe. As I say, it was so annoying/hard losing him as a headliner last year when it might not have even ever been a possibility I don't wanna build it up again when Neil seems so sure its not gonna happen. I'd rather be pleasantly surprised further down the line than disappointed. And my dad still takes the mic out of me for being so sure he'd deadline last year.

Conversations go round and round and round here to the point people get so sure things are bound to happen. People thought Arctic Monkeys were nailed on this time last year for no other reason that it was in so many other people's predictions.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.