so, Stormzy then...?

eFestivals

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

It’s this year’s “could Adele do the sunset slot?”

Giving Gang Signs & Prayers another listen right now. It’s pretty good but I don’t think I could stand through 90 minutes of similar material.

I'm expecting even bigger things from this new record. Wasn't he taking piano lessons from Macca etc?

Macca is only a fantastic headliner on reputation and songs alone. Anyone heard him sing live recently? He's just not got it anymore. The voice has gone. 

Love the fella and The Beatles but I think it could be a bit of a car crash this booking (assuming he is playing)

Stormzy, a well over the hill Macca and The Cure looks particularly weak to me. 

51 minutes ago, D-Low said:

Will probably get hate (as every negative comment towards stormzy seems to) but I’m sorry, I still think Stormzy is an industry plant. His music is terrible so I don’t know how he’s got so far. It’s like he’s the token mainstream ‘grime’ (can you even call him that) artist.

I’m all for diversity in the line ups and I’m glad for him but there’s plenty more artists from that genre far more deserving. 

BBK? I know they played the other stage recently so maybe not but definitely more deserving. 

Dizzee Rascal? Surely he’s been overlooked for a long time. And definitely earned. West holts was tiny for him last time it was packed

its a no for me, I’ll be at one of the other 100s of stages, and I guess that’s the beauty of Glastonbury 

Calls Stormzy music terrible and suggests this utter joke of an artist instead?

Fwiw I'm not a massive Stormzy fan but the two aren't even remotely comparable.

• Downvote 1

42 minutes ago, D-Low said:

Will probably get hate (as every negative comment towards stormzy seems to) but I’m sorry, I still think Stormzy is an industry plant. His music is terrible so I don’t know how he’s got so far. It’s like he’s the token mainstream ‘grime’ (can you even call him that) artist.

I’m all for diversity in the line ups and I’m glad for him but there’s plenty more artists from that genre far more deserving. 

BBK? I know they played the other stage recently so maybe not but definitely more deserving. 

Dizzee Rascal? Surely he’s been overlooked for a long time. And definitely earned. West holts was tiny for him last time it was packed

its a no for me, I’ll be at one of the other 100s of stages, and I guess that’s the beauty of Glastonbury 

Hi D-Low

I won't presume to guess how old you are, or what music you like, but I think you're under a misconception here.

I''m no stranger to the concept of industry-manipulation, but I think you're wrong here.

I quite like hip-hop, but wouldn't think of it as an area off music I actively listen to a lot. With grime, personally I think it's a little bit ridiculous, mostly without huge musical merit for me. But I'm thinking that you don't understand how genuinely MASSIVE some of that stuff is, and in the same way that younger people often latch onto the best known artists in the pop and rock genres, so do they in hip-hop and grime. As such, Stormzy is huge within that fanbase, and I do not believe for one moment he's an industry stooge, anymore than Little Mix are in pop. Yes, they're reality TV-manufactured, but that was years ago and they're still HUGE. 

The 'problem' is that the Glastonbury demographic has a significantly higher average age than comparable festivals - Glastonbury is not the IOW festival, where an 'older' demographic go to see nostalgia acts. Add that to the fact that this forum is populated by somewhat older members and Stormzy isn't a natural fit for eFesters. But there are a hell of a lot of Glastonbury goers, especially the younger, newer ones, who will love a booking like Stormzy, just as they would Kanye etc. I used to coach an under-sixteen rugby team and before and after every game they would play music in the changing room. This is a bunch of white kids in the Midlands and ALL they played was grime. I went to see Kendrick last year in Brum and the entire arena was rammed with white kids word perfect and in a frenzy, thrilled to drop the N bomb whenever they could. Again, it felt slightly absurd, but they were LOVING it. So, as a general observation of popularity amongst that portion of the festival-attending population, 2019 is perfect for an artist like Stormzy. The fact that Emily would juxtapose him with, say, Macca is a testament to GF's continued attempt not to descend into homogeny with most other festivals...

As I said before, I couldn't be happier for people to be furious and consider chucking their golden tickets back into the pot - they're exactly the sort of randoms that I have no interest in chatting with off tits at 5am on the Farm...

Ben
x

• Upvote 6

9 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

@Stokesy10 would have killed himself if he was in the field when Snoop Dogg played Jump Around.

I'd have submerged my boots as deep into the mud as possible and continued to sip away at my gin & tonic with a dash of apple and pear Robinson's.

Telling me to jump around n shit.

Edit. HOWEVER. He did produce my favourite hip hop album of all time (possibly), Doggysyle. So may have jumped once or twice or just done heel raises.

Edited by Stokesy10

14 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Hi D-Low

I won't presume to guess how old you are, or what music you like, but I think you're under a misconception here.

I''m no stranger to the concept of industry-manipulation, but I think you're wrong here.

I quite like hip-hop, but wouldn't think of it as an area off music I actively listen to a lot. With grime, personally I think it's a little bit ridiculous, mostly without huge musical merit for me. But I'm thinking that you don't understand how genuinely MASSIVE some of that stuff is, and in the same way that younger people often latch onto the best known artists in the pop and rock genres, so do they in hip-hop and grime. As such, Stormzy is huge within that fanbase, and I do not believe for one moment he's an industry stooge, anymore than Little Mix are in pop. Yes, they're reality TV-manufactured, but that was years ago and they're still HUGE. 

The 'problem' is that the Glastonbury demographic has a significantly higher average age than comparable festivals - Glastonbury is not the IOW festival, where an 'older' demographic go to see nostalgia acts. Add that to the fact that this forum is populated by somewhat older members and Stormzy isn't a natural fit for eFesters. But there are a hell of a lot of Glastonbury goers, especially the younger, newer ones, who will love a booking like Stormzy, just as they would Kanye etc. I used to coach an under-sixteen rugby team and before and after every game they would play music in the changing room. This is a bunch of white kids in the Midlands and ALL they played was grime. I went to see Kendrick last year in Brum and the entire arena was rammed with white kids word perfect and in a frenzy, thrilled to drop the N bomb whenever they could. Again, it felt slightly absurd, but they were LOVING it. So, as a general observation of popularity amongst that portion of the festival-attending population, 2019 is perfect for an artist like Stormzy. The fact that Emily would juxtapose him with, say, Macca is a testament to GF's continued attempt not to descend into homogeny with most other festivals...

As I said before, I couldn't be happier for people to be furious and consider chucking their golden tickets back into the pot - they're exactly the sort of randoms that I have no interest in chatting with off tits at 5am on the Farm...

Ben
x

Yes ruudbway.