so, Stormzy then...?

eFestivals

24 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Fan or not a fan aside, how will 90 minutes of this go down on the Pyramid?

This is an 80,000 people sized gig remember. They're the numbers they aim for anyway. 

BBC Glasto put a video of his performance up earlier from 2016.  Seemed very well attended and received.  He’ll do fine

1 minute ago, Gucci Piggy said:

People aren't saying that having a female headliner or a black headliner makes it a better trio in terms of quality, though. They're talking about it being good in that it contributes to an effort to increase opportunities for people who aren't white males.

Like, I prefer The Cure to Stormzy, easily, but Stormzy is a much better booking, partly for this reason.

It's also gonna be fucking lit.

Why does that matter lol? You seem offended that people are going to go and enjoy something that you don't like.

Course you were. Why would Glastonbury box tick having a hip-hop headliner?

I hear you, and I myself would agree that Stormzy is at least a more interesting booking than The Cure and Paul McCartney because he's an entirely new headliner to major UK festivals, whereas the other two are veterans of big shows and have been for decades.

I do feel that if there really is a problem with racism in the music industry, then Stormzy headlining Glastonbury is a step in the right direction, but as I say, more than anything else he's headlining because he's earned it and props to him.

Unlike Fall Out Boy at Reading and Leeds which I still can't get my head around.

1 hour ago, The Nal said:

People are moany c**ts aren't they? Its 90 minutes from 5 days. And there will be something else on if its not their bag. Excellent relevant booking. Just hope it doesn't go tits up.

Somebody somewhere is drafting an anti Stormzy petition as we speak. 

Poor old Willie above appears to be a witless cretin. 

Agreed... and what if it does go tits up..?? whats the worst that can happen.? if only 10,000 turn up and he develops a stutter Glastonbury will still sell out in less than an hour next October.

I love that Glastonbury have been brave enough to book a young, relevant, British talent... I really hope that there is nothing else that lures me away from The Pyramid on Friday (Hot Chip for Saturday now please.!) as i would like to be there to support him. I think he will nail it.!

To give some context, i am likely older than a good deal of the mums referenced in genius posts earlier... Last year i didnt see any of the headliners and had probably the best of my 9 Glastonburys (why have i never seen Flaming Lips before..!!??). I saw Kanye in 2015 even though i thought he was a cock and i thought it was dreadful.. (admittedly i was very very drunk and fell unconscious before the cherry picker nonsense..). I dont regret going, i just regret the amount of vodka i drank.. The stage set for Kanye was brilliant though.

I hope this launches the fella into international stardom.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, yosoyyoberdi said:

Still don't get why they chose Stormzy over Kendrick Lamar, Drake or Childish Gambino for instance... At least they can deliver. 

Anyway, time to accept reality and embrace the opportunity I guess...

Fuck sake mate they're also choosing Macca and The Cure over them...

2 minutes ago, yosoyyoberdi said:

Still don't get why they chose Stormzy over Kendrick Lamar, Drake or Childish Gambino for instance... At least they can deliver. 

Money, money and Childish Gambino is rumoured to be there, just headlining would be weird in the UK.

1 minute ago, yosoyyoberdi said:

Huh? What makes you think they could have had any of those three? Kendrick isn't touring next year; Drake would be difficult for them to book unless he has a specific desire to play Glasto, seeing as he could just do a load of stadium dates or do a festival that pays way more; Childish Gambino was supposed to be retiring from playing live before next June, but he's actually now rumoured to be subbing Glastonbury, so he might be playing anyway. He's not big enough to headline, though.

Let’s have it straight, he’s shite. There’s just a big hype around him which I get because of personality and political views but he’s not even the best grime artist in the country. Doesn’t bother me he’s announced as there’s always something else on but people need to climb out of his arse.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

Still waiting for your alternative, realistic and inspiring headline trio.

If they wanted to make a statement they should have coughed up and got Kendrick. Far more established, far better musically, far more talented. Stormzy is a cheap, lazy option. Beyonce/Lady Gaga other Friday options.

The Cure have said they're going to do 20 festivals next year - if that's the case, it's another unambitious booking. They should have gone out and got Fleetwood Mac, appreciate the expense but it's not like they're short of cash. Arctic Monkeys would draw a crowd three times the size of what The Cure will.

Paul Mac I don't have too much of an issue with, but he's hardly going to be 'exclusive' next year.

Guessing whatever I say won't sit well with you and you'll make excuses for the organisers, because that seems to be the thing to do on here. For me, this is a really disappointing set of headliners after a fallow year and given the festival's ever-increasing ticket prices. Lucky there's always something else on eh?

Hopefully they'll have the sense to give Tame Impala their Other Stage slot and Idles their JP headline position on different nights.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1