so, Stormzy then...?

eFestivals

This thread in a nutshell. 

Stormzy - good booking but will be somewhere else

Stormzy - one album!! (yadda yadda Arctic Monkeys)

Stormzy - Fuck that, Glastonbury sucks giving back me ticket

Stormzy - Who?

Stormzy - Yeah, inspired can't wait

Stormzy - Oh me mam love's him and says he seems like a lovely chap

Stormzy - that's that Banksy lad isn't it?

Stormzy - Stabbings, stabbings everywhere

Stormzy - Pablo Honey

• Upvote 5

Am I the only person over 55 that thinks Stormzy will smash it....

I still hope "Childish Gambino" will make an appearance over the weekend, so all is not lost.

I just hope they don't put the Chems or Hot Chip on at the same time as that would be a horrible clash for me.....

The Friday night sub slot also became so much harder to predict (Can't be a worse order than Biffy, Morrissey then U2 in 2011).

Remember the haters for Metallica, Kanye, Kasabian. I went all those years and had a great time....

Headliners - Who cares, it'll be great, I'm just happy to have a ticket!

If he bombs - it may reduce the demand for 2020 tickets - we can live in hope.

1 minute ago, charlierc said:

While I haven't heard much of his tunes, I don't strictly object to the idea. But as he's only had one LP, seems very soon in a career to give it a go.

Second LP due out soon - you can bet  EE & ME have been given a promo copy....

3 minutes ago, Mouseboy11 said:

Stop pushing your Stormzy rubbish, has Emily paid you to post this? You're killing me with your PROPAPROPAPROPAPROPAPROPAGANDA

Last night I went out with some ex-Muse freak who I know from Instagram and had never met before. In the middle of the night she made my Google Home play Propaganda and it came on at full volume and I have never been so angry in my life.

8 minutes ago, Penrhos said:

Am I the only person over 55 that thinks Stormzy will smash it....

I still hope "Childish Gambino" will make an appearance over the weekend, so all is not lost.

I just hope they don't put the Chems or Hot Chip on at the same time as that would be a horrible clash for me.....

The Friday night sub slot also became so much harder to predict (Can't be a worse order than Biffy, Morrissey then U2 in 2011).

Remember the haters for Metallica, Kanye, Kasabian. I went all those years and had a great time....

Headliners - Who cares, it'll be great, I'm just happy to have a ticket!

If he bombs - it may reduce the demand for 2020 tickets - we can live in hope.

Were there haters? They seem to be the safest, most predictable booking for any festival headliner.

So last year I gave the Pyramid a wide berth on the Sunday, nothing against Ed but not my cup of tea, wandered around and found Josefin Öhrn + The Liberation on the Glade and had a great evening and a wonderful end to my Glastonbury.

Clearly what I should have done was vent my spleen on here months in advance because Michael and Emily had had the absolute gall to book a headline that I didn't want to see - bloody disgusting and what's more he wears check shirts, how degenerate is that. And it was probably his fault that people went home the next day leaving their tents and other assorted rubbish behind. I hadn't realised until now that Ed completely ruined my festival. 

37 minutes ago, BlueDaze said:

Agreed... and what if it does go tits up..?? whats the worst that can happen.? if only 10,000 turn up and he develops a stutter Glastonbury will still sell out in less than an hour next October.

I love that Glastonbury have been brave enough to book a young, relevant, British talent... I really hope that there is nothing else that lures me away from The Pyramid on Friday (Hot Chip for Saturday now please.!) as i would like to be there to support him. I think he will nail it.!

To give some context, i am likely older than a good deal of the mums referenced in genius posts earlier... Last year i didnt see any of the headliners and had probably the best of my 9 Glastonburys (why have i never seen Flaming Lips before..!!??). I saw Kanye in 2015 even though i thought he was a cock and i thought it was dreadful.. (admittedly i was very very drunk and fell unconscious before the cherry picker nonsense..). I dont regret going, i just regret the amount of vodka i drank.. The stage set for Kanye was brilliant though.

I hope this launches the fella into international stardom.

Absolutely. But the paltry attendance at BBK, a great show, would have me worried. 

Strolled around to the Other thinking it would be rammed and we could've strolled to the front barrier.

4 hours ago, Winslow Leach said:

He's also been mashing up his own Know Me From with Rhythm n Gash by Process X in his live shows, which means we could get not one but two early grime classics on the Pyramid. Happy days.

I haven't been this excited since The xx sampled The Streets, Artful Dodger, B15 Project and Double 99 when they did "Chained" on the Other Stage!

1 minute ago, The Nal said:

Absolutely. But the paltry attendance at BBK, a great show, would have me worried. 

Strolled around to the Other thinking it would be rammed and we could've strolled to the front barrier.

Do people who aren't into grime or take a serious interest in music like those on here know BBK by name, though? I think Skepta playing on his own would have drawn a bigger crowd than them because more people know him by name. They were up against Ed Sheeran, too. Honestly I think they were doomed from the start.

Stormzy will be fine, everyone knows Stormzy.

2 hours ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Stormzy is the grime artist that's headlining Glastonbury because he's the only grime artist who's big enough to headline Glastonbury. It's as simple as that.

I don't get why people keep bringing up acts who they think are more deserving, especially when it's acts who aren't even big enough to do it.

When Foos were announced last year people didn't complain that there are other more deserving rock acts who should headline instead.

When Ed Sheeran was announced people didn't complain that there are more deserving pop acts who should headline instead.

But since the Stormzy rumours started we keep getting people asking why it isn't another grime artist being given the gig. Don't understand it.

So Dizzee Rascal isn't big enough? JME and the whole BBK camp? I see your point but my stand is that I have always thought of Stormzy as an industry plant picked out by the music business and moulded in to who he is. Stormzy is only 'big enough' because he's been manufactured that way. That's where my argument for more deserving acts comers from. I'm always left with the question, why him? He literally made one freestyle video in a park with a bunch of random men shouting odd words and he's become huge.

Just now, D-Low said:

So Dizzee Rascal isn't big enough? JME and the whole BBK camp? I see your point but my stand is that I have always thought of Stormzy as an industry plant picked out by the music business and moulded in to who he is. Stormzy is only 'big enough' because he's been manufactured that way. That's where my argument for more deserving acts comers from. I'm always left with the question, why him? He literally made one freestyle video in a park with a bunch of random men shouting odd words and he's become huge.

give his album a go pal, it's nice. I'd say it's set apart by a range, ambition and scope that most grime artists don't have. that's not a criticism of those other artists but it does help to explain his rise to popularity and headliner credibility.

1 minute ago, D-Low said:

Um, no, none of them are big enough. In fact they both headlined smaller stages last year. Dizzee Rascal played the same slot as The Jacksons and Justice.

Well it doesn't really matter how he got big, tbf. Fact is he's the only one that's big enough now.

I don't really get this thing about him being an industry plant. He made said freestyle which became viral because a lot of people liked it. He then released more songs that people liked and an album that people liked. Obviously he was given huge backing by his label which will have contributed to that but that's the same with every act who blows up quickly.