so, Stormzy then...?

eFestivals

Will probably get hate (as every negative comment towards stormzy seems to) but I’m sorry, I still think Stormzy is an industry plant. His music is terrible so I don’t know how he’s got so far. It’s like he’s the token mainstream ‘grime’ (can you even call him that) artist.

I’m all for diversity in the line ups and I’m glad for him but there’s plenty more artists from that genre far more deserving. 

BBK? I know they played the other stage recently so maybe not but definitely more deserving. 

Dizzee Rascal? Surely he’s been overlooked for a long time. And definitely earned. West holts was tiny for him last time it was packed

its a no for me, I’ll be at one of the other 100s of stages, and I guess that’s the beauty of Glastonbury 

5 minutes ago, D-Low said:

Will probably get hate (as every negative comment towards stormzy seems to) but I’m sorry, I still think Stormzy is an industry plant. His music is terrible so I don’t know how he’s got so far. It’s like he’s the token mainstream ‘grime’ (can you even call him that) artist.

I’m all for diversity in the line ups and I’m glad for him but there’s plenty more artists from that genre far more deserving. 

BBK? I know they played the other stage recently so maybe not but definitely more deserving. 

Dizzee Rascal? Surely he’s been overlooked for a long time. And definitely earned. West holts was tiny for him last time it was packed

its a no for me, I’ll be at one of the other 100s of stages, and I guess that’s the beauty of Glastonbury 

Wasn't it BBK who headlined the other and there was about 100 people there. Whoever did it on the Sunday last year had absolutely no crowd, could just walk to the front with massive gaps. 

At this moment I just don't feel he's ready to headline the Pyramid. This might be just my perception, not being in to hip hop/grime and not really knowing lots of people who are big fans of his though.

Without releasing any new material he's went from an other stage sub to headlining the Pyramid. Not sure if this has happened before but it's a big jump and puts a lot of faith in Stormzy's new material. Also puts quite a bit of pressure on this booking as it could look like a master stroke if his new album is well received or it could look like a very poor call if it bombs.

To me it'll just mean I'll be spending Friday night away from the Pyramid, which is never a bad thing and there's bound to be something more to my liking elsewhere.

Finally, good luck to Stormzy as he appears a canny fella and this is a huge step up for him.

9 minutes ago, D-Low said:

That was a great gig, attended by about ten thousand people. I've seen more people at 11.30am gigs on the Other Stage. 

We'll see how this plays out. Could be a complete success or a complete disaster to be honest. Cant see it being just good or just meh. 

Posted this several times now but for the lovely folks who haven't read the thread but will no doubt be heading here in their flocks to complain.

People talk about relevance a lot on here and I think he'll be (probably) one of the most relevant headliners in recent times. A young black man from London, pushing boundaries in the music industry. He's engaged a generation of people, won over almost everyone who's watched him and he's someone with values that a lot of people can relate to and believe in. He's got a powerful voice and he's definitely using it. IMO, you won't see many new headliners take that opportunity in the same way I think he would. He's hungry for it.

PS. It's okay if you prefer Dizzee Rascal and or BBK. It really is. But it also doesn't mean a thing.

As someone hoping for tickets in the resale reading twitter is making me incredibly happy, although we all know a lot of the "No way I'm paying off my ticket for that rubbish!!" tweets are incredibly kneejerk and people will still pay it off anyway.

Lets be honest, they could have each of the Spice Girls headlining a day each from Wednesday - Sunday and we'd still all pay off the balance. It's Glastonbury.

shut-up-and-take-my-money-32608030.png

• Like 1

I'll still be trying for a ticket in the re-sale but I'll be less disappointed if I don't get one.  Actually, that's not true because I do very few Pyramid headliners anyway.  Quite right that popular current artists get headline slots on the Pyramid.  Also draws the crowds to make more space for old farts like me to visit other stages.

People are moany c**ts aren't they? Its 90 minutes from 5 days. And there will be something else on if its not their bag. Excellent relevant booking. Just hope it doesn't go tits up.

Somebody somewhere is drafting an anti Stormzy petition as we speak. 

Poor old Willie above appears to be a witless cretin. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, D-Low said:

Stormzy is the grime artist that's headlining Glastonbury because he's the only grime artist who's big enough to headline Glastonbury. It's as simple as that.

I don't get why people keep bringing up acts who they think are more deserving, especially when it's acts who aren't even big enough to do it.

When Foos were announced last year people didn't complain that there are other more deserving rock acts who should headline instead.

When Ed Sheeran was announced people didn't complain that there are more deserving pop acts who should headline instead.

But since the Stormzy rumours started we keep getting people asking why it isn't another grime artist being given the gig. Don't understand it.

35 minutes ago, D-Low said:

Couldn't have put it better.