Fitness for Glasto 2019 Thread

The Placid Casual

Happy to report that had stitches out from my foot today, seems to be healing okay and now into a plaster cast. Hope to be able to walk on it at the end of next month! Then I'll be straight to the pool to build up strength again.

After avoiding the gym for the last 6 months, I've finally gotten my arse into gear and started going again.

Funny how a week in the gym exposes all the little niggles your body has.  So far I've discovered that my posture has gotten really bad and cause my hips to tilt forward, so whenever I do any ab exercise or deadlifts, my lower back screams in pain because of the imbalances between my back, my abs and hip flexors.

The good news is it is all fixable with stretches and exercises and it's caused me to ensure that I keep perfect form in every exercise.

The bad news is I'm now incredibly conscious of what my hips are doing so continually correcting them, which makes me look like I'm thrusting at whatever is in front of me.

To be fair, I do that anyway

Edited by Kinkyinuit

3 hours ago, Superunknown said:

I've had a few issues with this, more with my elbow though, seems alright now though. Did you do anything in particular for it or just rest it?

I sprained it playing football in our last game before Christmas so it was perfect timing, rested for about 6 weeks and slowly eased back in to lifting.

I made sure to use it as much as I could after RICEing for 24 hours, and kept testing out the mobility etc.

I still get a bit of pain in it under a lot of weight, and it was nearly 9 weeks ago so I worry that might be permanent now, but it’s not too bad ?

Did my first run in about 10 years earlier this week. Managed to do 7k so was really happy with that and wanted to keep going as I used to do a lot of running when I was younger.

Woke up today and my left shin bloody kills. Is this what shin splints are? Anyone got any cure for this wondered if compression socks can help this out.

Might have to stick to swimming otherwise.......

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, dccool said:

Did my first run in about 10 years earlier this week. Managed to do 7k so was really happy with that and wanted to keep going as I used to do a lot of running when I was younger.

Woke up today and my left shin bloody kills. Is this what shin splints are? Anyone got any cure for this wondered if compression socks can help this out.

Might have to stick to swimming otherwise.......

Hard to tell based on this description and it occurring only once. It does fit with doing too much while just having started running. Take some rest, at least make sure the pain has disappeared while not exercising. Then take up running more considerately, not too long and not too fast. Couch to 5k app for instance is helpful, might feel dumb if you have previous experience. (Dunno if you do other (similar) sports right now. Maybe you have the endurance, but that's not all.)

Shin splints is tricky, and rest is usually best. Lot of info online, be sure to read more than one source and/or check reliability. You can find some exercises that should help building lower leg strength. 

18 hours ago, StupidDream said:

Hard to tell based on this description and it occurring only once. It does fit with doing too much while just having started running. Take some rest, at least make sure the pain has disappeared while not exercising. Then take up running more considerately, not too long and not too fast. Couch to 5k app for instance is helpful, might feel dumb if you have previous experience. (Dunno if you do other (similar) sports right now. Maybe you have the endurance, but that's not all.)

Shin splints is tricky, and rest is usually best. Lot of info online, be sure to read more than one source and/or check reliability. You can find some exercises that should help building lower leg strength. 

Defo did a bit too much too soon. I'd say I'm fit and do swim 150 lengths a week but not used to impact exercise. 

Pain has gone now and did a very gentle 4k today with no problem. 

Really enjoyed it and going to start regular running again. Need to work on a schedule to gently ramp things up rather than just going all out which is my default setting to most things!

Had a really good week - 10.7 miles after work on Tuesday then 15.8 today. Been working on my fuelling, ate a bowl of porridge an hour and a half before going out and bought a bottle of Lucozade half way round then had a few swings every 2.5 miles. Had more energy, which is good, but I did start getting cramp in my calfs after about 14 miles. Need to look at that.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On an exercise bike right now. Technology’s great. Sat on it at home alone in me shorts with 6 Music playing and twatting about online. Been really struggling with confidence and motivation so this is progress and it’s good to know that there’s nobody here to laugh at me when I start hyperventilating.

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 4:06 PM, Homer said:

If anyone wants to lose weight, I can thoroughly recommend the 18/6 diet. I've lost just under two stone since May. And that's bearing in mind I was pretty fit in May too (I'd just done the Rat Race 15 mile/250 obstacle race and the Croydon half marathon)

going to start looking at the 5/2 which may work better for me. I have quite a bit of weight to shift as well

48 minutes ago, RichardWaller said:

On an exercise bike right now. Technology’s great. Sat on it at home alone in me shorts with 6 Music playing and twatting about online. Been really struggling with confidence and motivation so this is progress and it’s good to know that there’s nobody here to laugh at me when I start hyperventilating.

Ha ha ha! Etc

On a more serious note, I would recommend spin classes.

21 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

going to start looking at the 5/2 which may work better for me. I have quite a bit of weight to shift as well

Up to you but I don't know how anyone can get through a day on 500 calories! 

16/8 works perfectly for me as I have no appetite in the morning anyway. I just cheat a bit on Sundays if I happen to have a hangover.

14 minutes ago, Homer said:

Up to you but I don't know how anyone can get through a day on 500 calories! 

16/8 works perfectly for me as I have no appetite in the morning anyway. I just cheat a bit on Sundays if I happen to have a hangover.

One I am looking at is 800 cals on 2 days so hopefully not as bad

Bet I last a week and think Fuck this, no point.

I have been working on my Gut biome and it seems that the bacteria love a bit of fasting. Plus I am fat so need to do something.

I've stopped trying to lose weight now as I'm happy with where I am, but I lost four stone at a rate of roughly two pounds a week. I did this by only eating within 1,700 calories on weekdays and then generally whatever I wanted on weekends. Plus I went to the gym/for a run three to four times a week minimum. 

I went for my first run in about five weeks last week as a tester to see if my knee was better. I still felt the odd twinge but I'm not sure if it's just me being cautious. I'm going to rest it for another 2 weeks and then start a 10 week plan I've put together to hopefully get me a sub 50min time on the Bristol 10km in May.

First time poster. I’ve started HIIT and during this my goal is to be much fitter for this years festival. I’ve been going a few months and already my cardio is much better. 

I even want to start running and have had it on my weekend job list for the last 3 weeks. But snow, rain and anything else keeps getting in the way. 

Any starting to run advice appreciated?  Do I need decent trainers for a  quick 15 min run?  Or will my 10 year old £10ones do??

I’m also wanting to loose 5kg but I’d be happy with 3 or 4. Just putting in writing here will probably be enough to get me going.