Fitness for Glasto 2019 Thread

The Placid Casual

Bit of irregular training over the holidays, largely due to minor illness. But have been able to maintain the level of fitness, sort of. Lost bit of power. Had an easy 10k last Sunday, yesterday good interval training (3x 1500m on the track). Going for 10k PB end of the month in another local run, fingers crossed for some good weather. Also need the races to stay motivated during winter time. 

3 minutes ago, StupidDream said:

yesterday good interval training (3x 1500m on the track). Going for 10k PB end of the month in another local run, fingers crossed for some good weather. Also need the races to stay motivated during winter time. 

I really wish there was a local track to me. Extremely jealous of all those able to take advantage of those.

What sort of time are you aiming for? 

I've managed a 40:38 on the treadmill but would be pleased with a sub 45 given my current levels at the 10k race i'm doing in Feb.

1 minute ago, JoeyT said:

What sort of time are you aiming for?

Haven't done much 10k's in races, also haven't been in top condition for some years, so not sure what's possible. At least aiming for 44-45 minutes, did 46:10 couple of years ago and I'm definitely feeling better now. But have a few 10k races planned coming months, so hope to improve to 42-43 minutes, at least.

Did an enjoyable 9 miler on Sunday but right near the end I felt some unwelcome twinges in my left knee. Skipped my Monday run to be safe but went out for my tempo run last night and 5km in the twinges resurfaced and when I stopped my knee was in a lot of pain. Not sure what to do now, I know I should probably just not run for a week or too but that feels like defeat ?

11 minutes ago, The Clearest Blue said:

Did an enjoyable 9 miler on Sunday but right near the end I felt some unwelcome twinges in my left knee. Skipped my Monday run to be safe but went out for my tempo run last night and 5km in the twinges resurfaced and when I stopped my knee was in a lot of pain. Not sure what to do now, I know I should probably just not run for a week or too but that feels like defeat ?

What about swimming?

31 minutes ago, The Clearest Blue said:

Which shoes do you wear when running? I used to suffer from shin splints whenever I ran, since buying a pair of Ultra Boosts it seems to have disappeared!

2 minutes ago, thrillhouse188 said:

Which shoes do you wear when running? I used to suffer from shin splints whenever I ran, since buying a pair of Ultra Boosts it seems to have disappeared!

I have some old addidas shoes, don’t actually know much more about them tbh, definitely need replacing! Been meaning to go to a proper shop and get something decent but just haven’t got around to it yet. Did you do that where they make you run on a treadmill and access your stride and stuff?

1 minute ago, The Clearest Blue said:

I have some old addidas shoes, don’t actually know much more about them tbh, definitely need replacing! Been meaning to go to a proper shop and get something decent but just haven’t got around to it yet. Did you do that where they make you run on a treadmill and access your stride and stuff?

I didn't actually no, it was more of a vanity thing cause I liked how they look! Just so happens that the boost material is incredibly soft and does wonders absorbing shock on a hard surface. The knit upper also moulds to your foot really nicely so they're snug

12 minutes ago, The Clearest Blue said:

I am off to a running shop next week to do just this. Hopefully the chap will give some advice about one of my achilles tendons as it really hurts after running. So that is my first step to get some good shoes then next part is to actually start running :) determined to do it this year.

a few runners at work swear by the ultra boosts

Now is a good time to do it as most running shops have sales on.

I went to a shop in May, did a full gait analysis and ended up buying a pair of Adidas Supernovas for £110, they've been brilliant, no complaints whatsoever. Saw the exact same pair in Sports Direct the other day for £41! So now I have two pairs.

1 hour ago, The Clearest Blue said:

Sounds a bit like an issue I had: https://www.runnersworld.com/health-injuries/a19576110/iliotibial-band-syndrome/

Rest & foam rolling like the above article mentions solved the issue for me.

18 hours ago, JoeyT said:

Sounds a bit like an issue I had: https://www.runnersworld.com/health-injuries/a19576110/iliotibial-band-syndrome/

Rest & foam rolling like the above article mentions solved the issue for me.

Yeah a lot of that sounds familiar, I checked my running shoes yesterday and the back outside is completely worn off, think I probably should have switched them out months ago! Going to go get some proper ones over the weekend but take a full week off running. Will just cycle/row next week and use the foam rollers at the gym. Clearly the jump from 8 miles to 9 miles was too much too soon with worn out shoes. Thanks for the advice!

7 hours ago, The Clearest Blue said:

Yeah a lot of that sounds familiar, I checked my running shoes yesterday and the back outside is completely worn off, think I probably should have switched them out months ago! Going to go get some proper ones over the weekend but take a full week off running. Will just cycle/row next week and use the foam rollers at the gym. Clearly the jump from 8 miles to 9 miles was too much too soon with worn out shoes. Thanks for the advice!

I have exactly this injury right now and i’ve been out since September. I can’t currently run more than 8 minutes before my knee hurts (prior to the injury, I was doing 20k a week plus). Whatever you do (and it sounds like you are, unlike myself ?), make sure you stop as soon as it starts to hurt and rest more. Don’t get in the mess I’m now in! 

Hadn't been to the gym/played football in 5 weeks before Monday, still nursing some kind of wrist injury which doesn't seem to want to go away, but can't arsed to trek to the Dr. Desperate to be able to start benching heavy again, how long is normal for a sprained wrist to heal back to full strength? ?

Well, after a couple more months of very little running due to my hip issue I've managed to do a few runs in the last two weeks so bit the bullet and signed up for the London Marathon 2019. Injury does feel much better but I'm still concerened what will happen when I up the intensity; just been doing easy runs of 6 to 10 miles. Worse case is that I defer until 2020 if the injury reoccurs.

52 minutes ago, zero000 said:

Foolishly committed to a half marathon in October. I've never run more than 5k before, hoping to get my fitness up in time for Glastonbury and lose a couple of kilos while I'm at it. Can anyone recommend a good training schedule to follow?

The Nike Run Club app seems good and has a training plan (although I also stick to 5ks).

Walking the West Highland Way in early May, and just signed up for a charity marathon in early June - so I’ll have thighs and buns of steel by the time glastonbury rocks up. 

Unfortunately I’ll be very well versed in eating humongous anounts of carbs too ??

Trying to get fit for Glastonbury AND finish my PhD before Glastonbury is becoming a little challenging....Sacked it off today and yesterday, determined to go at 7am for cardio hiit. A little concerned that I might keel over. Spinning at 7am is one thing but at least you're sitting down.

On another note, what's happened to @Quark? The fitness thread, and indeed all the others threads, seem a little empty without his voice of relative reason