Fitness for Glasto 2019 Thread

The Placid Casual

2 hours ago, djdavejohnson said:

This is truly a brilliant effort. Hat duly doffed.

Cheers, bit of fun really, but not a bad effort in the dark!! 

Harder this morning though, 18 miles in that wind was flippin hard going. Good warm up for Brighton seafront in a few weeks I expect - anyone here done Brighton marathon before? 

7 hours ago, mario man said:

Harder this morning though, 18 miles in that wind was flippin hard going. Good warm up for Brighton seafront in a few weeks I expect - anyone here done Brighton marathon before? 

Oh the wind has been horrendous for outdoor exercise - I'm a cyclist so feel your pain! 

8 hours ago, mario man said:

Mrs Jass has, it’s a good run, couple of tricky hills though.

My progress and prep for my May Bristol 10k continues to be hindered by my knee injury. Finally took the bullet and went and saw a physio on Friday, he reckons when I start to tire my legs rotate inwards and I start to cross my feet over ever so slightly causing my knee caps to slide over and start rubbing my outer knee. I've been shown how to tape my knee to help keep my knee cap in place and given loads of strengthening exercises so hopefully on the road to recovery now! If nothing else it's nice to at least know what is wrong with it!

Finally getting an MRI scan on my adductors this Thursday evening to assess the problem. Been on a waiting list for what seems like an eternity. Got an injury last May playing tennis, tried private physio for a few months which was hit and miss (no tennis or running etc. during that time but able to cycle and gym etc.). Went to the docs in September and then saw a consultant towards the end of the year, and now this week the MRI scan. Just want to get back on the court again. Failing that, running or even jogging without pain would be nice!

17 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Did the Big London Half this morning and set a new PB - 1 hour 57 mins.

Given the absolutely horrific weather conditions I’m pretty pleased with that.

Well done, I walked across London bridge yesterday morning, and couldn't eblieve how windy it was, and commented that it would be a tough half to do yesterday - well done - how are you feeling today ?

4 minutes ago, Funkyfairy! said:

Well done, I walked across London bridge yesterday morning, and couldn't eblieve how windy it was, and commented that it would be a tough half to do yesterday - well done - how are you feeling today ?

Thanks, not feeling too bad today. I've been doing the distance pretty regularly recently as part of my training for the full marathon so that wasn't an issue. Only difference was that I ran much faster than I usually do in train, basically did 13 consecutive 9 minute miles yesterday, which really took it out of me.

Back to the serious distances on Friday, got a 17-18 miler lined up.

1 hour ago, Funkyfairy! said:

I bought lifting shoes this weekend and start an 8 week Olympic lifting course next Monday to nail my  'snatch and clean and jerk '  technique ,  I am very excited and never did I think that last sentence would be a sentence I would type :-)

How much were they, just out of interest? I've been meaning to get some for a while but the ones I want always seem too expensive haha. Good luck with the course, sounds intense!

8 minutes ago, Superunknown said:

How much were they, just out of interest? I've been meaning to get some for a while but the ones I want always seem too expensive haha. Good luck with the course, sounds intense!

Too much - just over £100 - but they were a delayed birthday present so it doesn;t seem too bad ,  and I've been searching for a pair for 6 or so months - ladies sizes are so hard to get , they are expensive for sure and you've got to be into lifting to appreciate them, but they are heavy and solid and should keep me grounded. My issue is I'm super flexible so I don;t need to lift in the heels  to squat to the floor and keep grounded but I need to stability to be able to start  lifting heavier in the squat .... blimey that sounded technical.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Mrs Jass has, it’s a good run, couple of tricky hills though.

Cheers, hopefully those hills are early on rather than the later stages! I need to check out the course in a bit more detail so I know when the pain is going to hit! 

On 3/7/2019 at 8:31 PM, ian the worm said:

I’m loving running through the woods and I am surrounded by hills so I’m naturally running up and down hilly woodland a lot. 

Am I right in remembering you're around the Stroud area? If so, that sounds like terrain I'd like. Where abouts are you running?

I'm just getting back into the running after a bit of a dodgy ankle. Physio has given me some strengthening excersises and advised me to mix up my running so it's not one pace for a similar distance each time. Seems to be working so far.

Also trying to get out for a walk most lunch times. 

On 3/10/2019 at 4:30 PM, Hugh Jass said:

Did the Big London Half this morning and set a new PB - 1 hour 57 mins.

Given the absolutely horrific weather conditions I’m pretty pleased with that.

Great work mate.

Was having a decent run of games, then a 10yr old knee problem decided it was overdue paying me a visit. Back to running now, but it destroyed all the momentum I'd built up after the Christmas lull!

9 hours ago, MrHew said:

Am I right in remembering you're around the Stroud area? If so, that sounds like terrain I'd like. Where abouts are you running?

The Heavens, Selsley Woods, Nibley Woods, Lypiatt, Summer Street, Woodchester Lakes.

I’ve  discovered that hilly roads are OK and flat woods. But a combination of hilly woods is not. 

• Upvote 1

Got back on the spinning yesterday at 7.15am and then went climbing in the afternoon. Slept like a baby after all that exercise :)

However, juggling thesis writing with exercise is hard. Had booked LBT for 9.30am today and then box-fit for 7pm tomorrow but I need to get these chapter revisions done by tomorrow night, and my friend had a bit of an emotional breakdown last night so after helping him out yesterday have had to cancel that first class and the second isn't looking likely.....

Hopefully I'll shed some weight through PhD stress and by not drinking cider until 11am on June 26th :lol:

Very envious of those able to get some proper workouts in! With working and looking after a clingy 1 year old all I can do is dog walks. 
I have now been alcohol (and chocolate) free since the 6th! I'm 3lbs down this week and have lost 1 stone 4lbs since November. Slowly but surely! 

On 3/12/2019 at 7:22 AM, ian the worm said:

The Heavens, Selsley Woods, Nibley Woods, Lypiatt, Summer Street, Woodchester Lakes.

I’ve  discovered that hilly roads are OK and flat woods. But a combination of hilly woods is not. 

Cheers for that. I've mostly been keeping it flat around Uplands playing field or along the canal. I need to venture out a bit so that's really useful.

1 hour ago, MrHew said:

Cheers for that. I've mostly been keeping it flat around Uplands playing field or along the canal. I need to venture out a bit so that's really useful.

Canal is good. And there’s cycle track to Nailsworth / Stonehouse. And the 3 commons. And the lanes round Halkwood.