Fitness for Glasto 2019 Thread

The Placid Casual

59 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Tofu is great :) My attempting to be healthy by eating salad at lunch does so much better now that I've discovered the joys of marinated tofu, which keeps me full and prevents me needing a second lunch by 3pm 

Biggest problem with tofu, like many things, is that it's so much better when you fry it :D

On 3/21/2019 at 11:14 AM, The Clearest Blue said:

Hot chip have been added to my running playlist, they make a good addition. Physio has recommended basically keeping my knee permently strapped up with tape for 12-15 weeks, when my legs should be strong enough to prevent injury whilst running if I continue my exercises. To be honest they feel stronger already and running seems to be getting easier and more pain free by the day. Definitely back on track. This will be my “healthiest” Glastonbury yet based on the condition I’ll be arriving in ?

I have just (last 3 weeks) upped my excercise bike sessions to 1 hour.... wouldnt be able to do it without Hot Chips 'In our Heads'. Flutes comes in at precisely the right time to give you a push on...

Kudos to you younger folks with your marathons and ultras...

Did my first ever Park Run on Saturday but forgot to print my bar code so it's not 'official'. Will have to go again and actually log a time! Did another 5km last night and beat my Saturday time with no complaints from my knee so it's looking good for my 10km in May. Also thank lord that horrendous wind has cleared off! Hope everyone else are progressing well with their efforts!

Did my longest run yet yesterday, 15k in just under 90 minutes. Feeling not too bad today considering. 

Edit: just saw the tofu chat. Y'all need to get one of these. It's a game changer;

https://www.lakeland.co.uk/73399/Tofuture-Tofu-Press

Edited by SwedgeAntilles

So I have not started my running yet. going to do the couch to 9k thing. Must start that

I have upped the amount of walks I am doing and increased the pace there. The dog loves me.

have altered my diet some more and am now on about 13 hours without food (all this is very weird as I have a daughter with an eating disorder so all feels very odd, she has left home now as I could not do this while she was with us)

This week I have started the high intensity Interval training. Knackering but it is such a short amount of time it seems easy to do. Will increase parts of this over the next few weeks.

Running though is my next thing. just have to fit that in. I got the shoes a month ago!!

Day off tomorrow so lovely half day walk with the dog in this glorious sun

Did a relaxing 9.5 miles along the Thames last night, although I think I may have tweaked something in ankle, which is pretty sore this morning, so will be resting up ahead of the 20 miler on Saturday.

Biggest problem I'm facing at the moment is that none of my clothes fit anymore! I seem to have dropped a size.

1 hour ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Did my longest run yet yesterday, 15k in just under 90 minutes. Feeling not too bad today considering. 

Edit: just saw the tofu chat. Y'all need to get one of these. It's a game changer;

https://www.lakeland.co.uk/73399/Tofuture-Tofu-Press

OMG, that's quite the gadget! Do you still need to fry it after though?

This is definitely not Glastonbury related but I'm ok with that

21 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

OMG, that's quite the gadget! Do you still need to fry it after though?

This is definitely not Glastonbury related but I'm ok with that

My usual approach is (stolen from the Thug Kitchen cookbook);

1. Stick the tofu in the press for around 1 hour
  2. Cut it into square pieces (around 1/4 inch thick)
  3. Fry the slices over a medium heat, no oil just a little salt
  4. Once it's in the pan press down on the pieces with the spatula. The steam escaping makes a horrible screaming noise but that just means it's working
  5. After 3-4 minutes (once the tofu is golden on the underside) flip and repeat
  6. Then once it's ready you can slice it whatever way you want and it's got a nice toasty texture/taste.

But if you cant be bothered frying it it'll absolutely good to go after being in the press for about 45 mins to an hour. I couldn't get into tofu at all before we started using the press but it makes a huge difference on its own.

2 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Coming along really well. 48 hours of heavy drinking over the weekend and a bottle of Pinot and half a bag of duty free mini Kinder eggs last night. ?

That’s good prep. You can’t go into Glastonbury from zero. I plan to start a strict training regime once this marathon business is over.

On 3/24/2019 at 5:00 PM, Quark said:

Biggest problem with tofu, like many things, is that it's so much better when you fry it :D

In terms of tofu texture it was a game changer when somebody told me to freeze it and then defrost it and press it. It makes the texture so much better. Dry frying it or baking it to remove the moisture works well. Hairy bikers have a great marinade in their hairy dieters veggie book which is mustard, soy sauce, chipotle paste and maple syrup. They say it makes it taste like bacon. It doesn't but it does make it tasty and works well in salads, breakfasts, sandwiches, stir fries. 

17 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

In terms of tofu texture it was a game changer when somebody told me to freeze it and then defrost it and press it. It makes the texture so much better. Dry frying it or baking it to remove the moisture works well. Hairy bikers have a great marinade in their hairy dieters veggie book which is mustard, soy sauce, chipotle paste and maple syrup. They say it makes it taste like bacon. It doesn't but it does make it tasty and works well in salads, breakfasts, sandwiches, stir fries. 

Why not just eat bacon then?

Edit - aha veggie recipe soz. 

Edited by The Nal

1 minute ago, The Nal said:

Why not just eat bacon then?

I just said it doesn't taste like bacon (from what I remember - I didn't like bacon and I like this)and some people are vegetarian/vegan  so it rules out eating bacon for them. Also, for health reasons a lot of people are told to cut down on meat. I have a friend with a severe kidney condition who has been advised to dramatically cut down on her meat intake. 

Just now, gigpusher said:

I just said it doesn't taste like bacon (from what I remember - I didn't like bacon and I like this)and some people are vegetarian/vegan  so it rules out eating bacon for them. Also, for health reasons a lot of people are told to cut down on meat. I have a friend with a severe kidney condition who has been advised to dramatically cut down on her meat intake. 

Sorry yeah edited as above, didnt see it was a veggie recipe.

Thought it was one of those hipster decontructed bacon type things.  

2 hours ago, gigpusher said:

Best tip I've seen for draining it is to whack the block between two plates and weight the top one for about half an hour, but then to drain it and repeat but with kitchen roll top and bottom.  Vastly improves the texture. Also makes it good for grating, so you can use it to make patties and the like.  Really good one with Thai flavourings, lemongrass, chilli, shallots, bit of dessicated coconut, fried up like a little crispy crab cake. Banging with a sweet chilli dip.

May well give the HB marinade a go as well.

EDIT - just looked back and seen @SwedgeAntilles link to the tofu press gadget. Want one.

Edited by Quark

Pulled up injured again about 6 weeks ago so London Marathon is off the agenda until 2020. Sulked and over indulged until a couple of days ago when I dusted the bike off and did 30 hilly miles. Did another 40 today and at least feel like I’m doing something. Cycling doesn’t seem to bother. My problem so looks like I’m an ex runner again. 

I think I've joined this thread every bloody year and done nothing aboit it ?

This year though my pre Glastonbury lose some flab routine has me just under 4 stone down with ideally just over another stone to go and I'll be happy. 

I never thought I'd get to a stage when I actually love the gym and really really miss it when for whatever reason I can't go. My mum has just had to have emergency spinal surgery for something called cauda equina syndrome so I've spent the last couple of weeks travelling between Leeds where I live, Liverpool where she does and trying to go to work. The gym was the last thing on my mind. I've just got home from Zumba and it a right when they say the gym gives away free drugs. Endorphin rushes certainly make you feel mentally better 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, SighMo said:

Pulled up injured again about 6 weeks ago so London Marathon is off the agenda until 2020. Sulked and over indulged until a couple of days ago when I dusted the bike off and did 30 hilly miles. Did another 40 today and at least feel like I’m doing something. Cycling doesn’t seem to bother. My problem so looks like I’m an ex runner again. 

Ah that's gutting mate.

Well I have to say that this isn't a thread that I'd normally post on. Actually it wouldn't get through the Thread Worth Reading Filter which I have to admit has developed over the years. It isn't a controlable filter, it developed independently in some inaccessable part of my brain.

Normally work and lifestyle keeps me in useable shape .Fitnesswise I'm lucky enough not to have an office type job....my job does have other drawbacks though, sometimes I dream of working in an office.

Anyway, a few days over a year ago I was showing off my sporting prowess at the upper limit of my questionable ability and managed to comprehensively snap my fibula and break my tibia into six pieces. As some of you may know (from some other thread that made it through the filter :)  ) I ended up with external steel rings around my leg supportingfat steel bicycle spokes and over sized steel knitting needles threaded through the bone bits holding it all together until October.Then lots of physio.Finished physio sessions and signed off by my orthopod a few weeks ago. Still have reduced mobility in knee and especially ankle. Am doing so much stretching now, it is starting to work.

Now it's gym time.Biggest local gym with pool etc. Horay for the NHS, they sorted it. Jeepers it is hard work. As soon as I get stuck in it feels like I'm trying to do it 4000m above sea level. After normally being very active, zero exercise for a year then the gym! 

Feel like I'm 70 years old but as Arnie said, 'I'll be back'  Just started work again. Everything feels so heavy :)  Not worried, a bit at a a time and I'll get there.

Oh, and talking of Arnie, my right leg is actually the strongest that it has ever been, actually looks rather good,  'almost' like Arnies due to months and months of hopping. The other leg is more like a sparrow's leg.

Anyway, there we have it. Sorry for the rambling post, just got back from the gym and am feeling like I have to share it with someone. I don't bore my family and friends with leg stuff any more :D

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

Well I have to say that this isn't a thread that I'd normally post on. Actually it wouldn't get through the Thread Worth Reading Filter which I have to admit has developed over the years. It isn't a controlable filter, it developed independently in some inaccessable part of my brain.

Normally work and lifestyle keeps me in useable shape .Fitnesswise I'm lucky enough not to have an office type job....my job does have other drawbacks though, sometimes I dream of working in an office.

Anyway, a few days over a year ago I was showing off my sporting prowess at the upper limit of my questionable ability and managed to comprehensively snap my fibula and break my tibia into six pieces. As some of you may know (from some other thread that made it through the filter :)  ) I ended up with external steel rings around my leg supportingfat steel bicycle spokes and over sized steel knitting needles threaded through the bone bits holding it all together until October.Then lots of physio.Finished physio sessions and signed off by my orthopod a few weeks ago. Still have reduced mobility in knee and especially ankle. Am doing so much stretching now, it is starting to work.

Now it's gym time.Biggest local gym with pool etc. Horay for the NHS, they sorted it. Jeepers it is hard work. As soon as I get stuck in it feels like I'm trying to do it 4000m above sea level. After normally being very active, zero exercise for a year then the gym! 

Feel like I'm 70 years old but as Arnie said, 'I'll be back'  Just started work again. Everything feels so heavy :)  Not worried, a bit at a a time and I'll get there.

Oh, and talking of Arnie, my right leg is actually the strongest that it has ever been, actually looks rather good,  'almost' like Arnies due to months and months of hopping. The other leg is more like a sparrow's leg.

Anyway, there we have it. Sorry for the rambling post, just got back from the gym and am feeling like I have to share it with someone. I don't bore my family and friends with leg stuff any more :D

I also attend a local gym and swim 2k 4 x per week maybe its the same one ?