Football 18/19

ThomThomDrum

I've just got an email from Zavvi saying I've won Champs League Final tixs so I followed the steps they said and sent the confirmation email to them. I then have a quick look on facebook and twitter it turns out they have emailed all of their customers saying they have won...fuck sake.

Edited by jump

3 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Its a valid point. Lad is suggesting football is all about winning trophies and I disagree. How can football be all about winning trophies if he has hardly seen his team win any? ?‍♂️

I've seen LFC win 5 times more trophies than you.At the game.It's probably nearer 10 times more.Are you kidding??

1 hour ago, Dan R said:

I think we're more likely to beat spurs, but I'm much more scared of losing to them.

The way Ajax defended last night you’d think our front 3 would have ruined them.

On their day Spurs can trouble anyone. Moura and Son in particular seem to be in some shit hot form.

11 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

The way Ajax defended last night you’d think our front 3 would have ruined them.

On their day Spurs can trouble anyone. Moura and Son in particular seem to be in some shit hot form.

Yep. LFC would have put plenty of goals away against that defence. Spurs an altogether tougher test.

1 hour ago, jump said:

I've just got an email from Zavvi saying I've won Champs League Final tixs so I followed the steps they said and sent the confirmation email to them. I then have a quick look on facebook and twitter it turns out they have emailed all of their customers saying they have won...fuck sake.

I had one too. For a brief spell I was very, very excited.

1 hour ago, eastynh said:

Its a valid point. Lad is suggesting football is all about winning trophies and I disagree. How can football be all about winning trophies if he has hardly seen his team win any? ?‍♂️

Fine, point taken, I agree with you. But a City fan (prior to oil buyout lets face it a jokeshop of a club) lording it over anyone about trophies is rubbish. Any success your club has had will be asterisked forever.

As I've said many times on 'ere LFC could win the league cup every year and it would still just be a "pisspot". When we won the CL people said it was "lucky" - any one off final has elements of luck.

Footie has changed. Walker, Abramovich (most to blame) and Mansoor (most successful) have changed it. The concept of success=trophies is a binary load of bollox now. In a couple years the Prem will resemble Ligue 1. Success will have to be measured differently. The fan experience is one other way, something I have chosen to embrace. Im not in it for the titles as the chances of winning them are limited. To pin all ones hopes on this alone is a bit sad really. I love the game and give the disparity of resources in play I'm wise enough to parse success against this inequality.

1 hour ago, Wooderson said:

Fine, point taken, I agree with you. But a City fan (prior to oil buyout lets face it a jokeshop of a club) lording it over anyone about trophies is rubbish. Any success your club has had will be asterisked forever.

As I've said many times on 'ere LFC could win the league cup every year and it would still just be a "pisspot". When we won the CL people said it was "lucky" - any one off final has elements of luck.

Footie has changed. Walker, Abramovich (most to blame) and Mansoor (most successful) have changed it. The concept of success=trophies is a binary load of bollox now. In a couple years the Prem will resemble Ligue 1. Success will have to be measured differently. The fan experience is one other way, something I have chosen to embrace. Im not in it for the titles as the chances of winning them are limited. To pin all ones hopes on this alone is a bit sad really. I love the game and give the disparity of resources in play I'm wise enough to parse success against this inequality.

Success is relative to the club, this has always been the case. Some clubs will see winning trophies as success, others will see staying in the league as success. 

I love the game and give the disparity of resources in play I'm wise enough to parse success against this inequality.

What do you mean by this?

Been money in the game since day 1 though and success always follows. Juve were owned by Fiat in the 20s, had a stadium built for them and dominated for a decade, Madrid in the 50s buying Di Stefano, Puskas at al, Berlusconi at Milan buying the Dutch lads etc.

It goes in cycles. Look at Chelsea. Finished 15 points ahead of City in 2017 and are now 24 points behind. 40ish point swing in 24 months. ?‍♂️

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

It’s not all bad news, you won’t have to watch this...

https://www.nme.com/news/music/imagine-dragons-to-play-uefa-champions-league-final-2485809

was looking forward to pitting my two best friends who are Liverpool fans against each other for the final ticket

good luck in the playoffs btw, as a leeds fan whose partners family are all west brom fans I am dreading what I think is going to happen ha

9 minutes ago, pryce said:

was looking forward to pitting my two best friends who are Liverpool fans against each other for the final ticket

good luck in the playoffs btw, as a leeds fan whose partners family are all west brom fans I am dreading what I think is going to happen ha

I have precisely zero optimism for the playoffs. I’m convinced Villa are going to hammer us.

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I have precisely zero optimism for the playoffs. I’m convinced Villa are going to hammer us.

if you have zero, I am in minus numbers! I have no idea what has happened since we beat you. Ipswich game was a shambles

2 hours ago, Wooderson said:

Football changed when your cosy clique at the top tried to divvy all the cash between you. The likes of Mansour and Roman did not start the football gravy train,it was Murdoch along with United, Liverpool, Arsenal and so on. The Mansours of this world just took advantage of a situation. He is a smart businessman. 

You should be thankful of Citys owners. They have raised the bar. Brought more investment to the premier league, made it more exciting and set new standards.

You talk absolute nonesense in regards to the Ligue 1 comment. Mansour has been at City 10 years, no one has retained the title in that time. Previous to that did United not win it something stupid like 13 out of 16 years? Also the money comment, since Ferguson retired, United have spent more cash than City. Now I appreciate they have won more than Liverpool in that time but they are currently in dire straits. Their plight proves it is not all about money.

You sound very bitter for some reason. Just had your best performance of the season and then gone on a rant because I said football is not all about winning trophies. I would not mind but you actually agree with me.

38 minutes ago, pryce said:

if you have zero, I am in minus numbers! I have no idea what has happened since we beat you. Ipswich game was a shambles

There was always a worry with Leeds that they would run out of steam under Bielsa. Looks like it’s happened at the worst possible time.

5 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

There was always a worry with Leeds that they would run out of steam under Bielsa. Looks like it’s happened at the worst possible time.

getting worse and not better in Jan didn't help, losing Saiz and not replacing him was huge. not replacing Viera as well.

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

If the football over here is is progressing, the journalism seems stuck in the dark ages. According to Henry Winter on the times podcast Spurs comeback was nothing to do with tactics and modern stuff. It was all down to those phrases they love to use "hunger and desire" 

Us British are a bit obsessed with 'hunger and desire' for some reason. Held us back for years. As you say, some journalists still stuck with that way of thinking.

The Llorente sub made all the difference yesterday.