Football 18/19

ThomThomDrum

3 minutes ago, lost said:

Even Origi looked dire for Wolfsburg and Lille. Not even half the player of Batshuayi but he's looked excellent the last two games.

he's got a lazy style, which bugged the shit out of me last night. It often looked like he was putting in much less than everyone else.

The one that really annoyed me was when he chased down the goalie on backpasses - because he was chasing down so slowly (compared to what he could have) and slowed up long before he was close that he almost shouldn't have bothered. If you're going to chase them down, do it properly - that's the whole bleedin' point.

Can't knock the goals tho. He fully deserved his place on the pitch.

32 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

In fairness I think the point he was making is that getting to the final is an achievement. He’s right.

Clearly he (the same as all of us) wants us to win it. It’s been too long without a trophy and I’d give anything for Hendo to be lifting the trophy on June 1st.

But if we don’t win it then it doesn’t make this season a bad one. Most teams would love to be in the position we’re in and Klopp has made us a genuine dominant force again.

He'd have been better saying that than what's this fuckery then.An achievement isn't a trophy.If nothing is won the season goes down as a failure.It goes with the territory.

Who cares what other teams think?It was never the Liverpool way to be going dizzy by not even winning a trophy.Enjoy the victory but be aware it's only a stepping stone.It all means nothing without a trophy.

15 minutes ago, Lad said:

It all means nothing without a trophy.

There are a lot of football teams and very few trophies. Fans of football get a lot of meaning out of a multitude of things about the sport other than trophies. They have to. Otherwise it would not be nearly as popular as it is

Yes, sport is about winning. But you must be quite naive to think its nothing but........

• Upvote 2

Since when has football only been about winning trophies? Had some of the best days of my life when we had absolutely no chance of winning trophies. I don't support my team because it might win trophies.

Now I am not Liverpools biggest fan, in fact I would go as far as to suggest I hate the Scouse bastards, yet last night was a remarkable performance and should be celebrated regardless of them going on to win it or not. 

Edited by eastynh

Chelseas transfer ban upheld. Guess we'll see a few loan players brought back/in. Morata, Bakayoko, Pulisic, Moses and or maybe Pasalic from Atalanta. They'll need a few. Especially if they're in the Champions League. 

Should really sell Hazard now while they can get cash for him ans chuck it in the bank until 2020. 

9 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Chelseas transfer ban upheld. Guess we'll see a few loan players brought back/in. Morata, Bakayoko, Pulisic, Moses and or maybe Pasalic from Atalanta. They'll need a few. Especially if they're in the Champions League. 

Should really sell Hazard now while they can get cash for him ans chuck it in the bank until 2020. 

Not sure if I agree with that last part. They aren’t going to be able to sign anyone for a year so they’re surely better hanging on to their genuinely world class player? Even if it means he leaves cheaper at the end of next season - at least then they’ll be able to try and bring in a world class replacement. Without Hazard I think Chelsea would have some serious struggles next year.

*Worth noting I have no idea what his contract situation is. If it only has a year left then you may be right.

Edited by DareToDibble

13 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Going to CAS so there's still a chance it may be frozen while they investigate. If it is upheld it could be the kick up the arse we need to give a chance to a few of our academy grads.

Zouma will come in for Cahill and Ola Aina has impressed in Serie A so he is probably going to return as well but I would like to see Reece James back in the squad too. Mason Mount should come in for Kovacic who hasn't done enough tbh.

Bakayoko was SO bad in his first season at Chels but had done well at Milan and it looked like it would be made permanent until it all kicked off recently. I'd take him back if he is back to the form he showed at Monaco.

Morata and Moses loans are until 2020 not that isn't possible. Depending on what happens with Giroud / Higuain we may need to utilise Tammy Abraham as well. Can't see much of a chance for Batshuayi though.

4 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

*Worth noting I have no idea what his contract situation is. If it only has a year left then you may be right.

His contract expires next Summer.

Edited by jyoung

what are people top 5 best club moments as a fan?

1. Beating Man utd in the fa cup 3rd round while in league one, never been more nervous and never has an hour felt like weeks.

2. Coming back with 10 men down 1 goal vs Bristol Rovers to get out of league one on the last day of the season

3. beating Deportivo in the champs league qtr final

4. coming from 3 goals down to beat Southampton while watching it with my best friend who is a saints fan

5. Becchios equaliser vs Milwall in the league one playoff semi final

could list a lot more worst moments

Edited by pryce

Just now, DareToDibble said:

As a Chelsea fan would you rather him stay next year and leave for free? Or take some money for him this summer?

I'd rather he signed a new contract mate! I think he will leave in the summer and I don't blame him really. If we can get a bit of money for him it makes sense. We just have to hope that should that happen, we are able to spend the money in the summer. Getting Hudson-Odoi to sign a new contract is a huge problem as well. His deal expires at the same time as Hazard.

17 minutes ago, pryce said:

1. Beating Man utd in the fa cup 3rd round while in league one, never been more nervous and never has an hour felt like weeks.

2. Coming back with 10 men down 1 goal vs Bristol Rovers to get out of league one on the last day of the season

4. coming from 3 goals down to beat Southampton while watching it with my best friend who is a saints fan

1. Winning the Championship when Grealish scored that last minute equaliser for Villa against Brighton.

2. Seeing Shearer break Milburn's 200 goal tally for Newcastle

3. Uefa Cup Semi Final loss to Marseille 

4.FA cup Final loss to Man U

5. FA cup final loss to Arsenal

All mine are picks from when I was there, that championship win, oh boy, what a rollercoaster of emotions in those few minutes.

You could tie the bottom two really as I was 7 & 8 so I don't remember much other than having two great days down at Wembley despite the results. 

Edited by WS_Jack_III

18 minutes ago, pryce said:

1) The Aguerooooooooo moment.

2) 2nd Div play off final v Gillingham

3) Div 2 play off semi final v Wigan at Maine Rd.

4) Beating United 6-1 at the swamp.

5) Beating United 1-0 in FA Cup semi final.

2 hours ago, ThomThomDrum said:

There are a lot of football teams and very few trophies. Fans of football get a lot of meaning out of a multitude of things about the sport other than trophies. They have to. Otherwise it would not be nearly as popular as it is

Yes, sport is about winning. But you must be quite naive to think its nothing but........

I support LFC.The main thing is winning trophies you can have a boss night with mates any day of the week.Thanks for the how to be a fan info though.I'll keep that in mind.?

In no real order, except No.1:

1. FA Cup win 2008
2. Winning League Two on the final day of the season in a 6-1, having not been top all season 
3. Pompey Supporters Trust saving the club
4. David Norris 90+4 equaliser away at Southampton 
5. Checkatrade Trophy win

1 minute ago, JSmurphy said:

1. FA Cup win 2008
2. Winning League Two on the final day of the season in a 6-1, having not been top all season 

Does that big loon with the drum still go?Think he used to have a bevvy with some lads in the city.Always a well supported club.

2 minutes ago, Lad said:

Does that big loon with the drum still go?Think he used to have a bevvy with some lads in the city.Always a well supported club.

If you mean John Portsmouth Football Club Westwood, then yes, he's still there!

Just now, JSmurphy said:

If you mean John Portsmouth Football Club Westwood, then yes, he's still there!

Ha that'll be him.Long hair,denim waistcoat,tattoos,big hat and a drum.Play up Pompey,Pompey play up.Or words to that effect.?

17 minutes ago, JSmurphy said:

1. FA Cup win 2008

Always had a soft spot for Pompey. Went to my first ever game aged 8 on the opening day of the 2002 season. 2-0 victory against Nottingham Forest. The year they got promoted.

Edited by jyoung
  • Like 1

Just now, jyoung said:

Always had a soft spot for Pompey. Went to my first ever game aged 8 on the opening day of the 2002 season. 2-0 victory against Nottingham Forest. The year they got promoted.

8?I'm impressed.Haven't seen all the posts on this but you're Chelsea?

Just now, Lad said:

8?I'm impressed.Haven't seen all the posts on this but you're Chelsea?

Yeah, I'm Chelsea and my Dad is a Spurs. No idea why but the first game he took me to was Pompey. Fair play to him, he did take me to Stamford Bridge a quite a bit after that when I was younger and used to stand outside the ground for hours before kick off trying to get Frank Lampard's autograph.

1 minute ago, jyoung said:

Yeah, I'm Chelsea and my Dad is a Spurs. No idea why but the first game he took me to was Pompey. Fair play to him, he did take me to Stamford Bridge a quite a bit after that when I was younger and used to stand outside the ground for hours before kick off trying to get Frank Lampard's autograph.

Chelsea and Spurs.They love each other so that's some combo.?

1 hour ago, Lad said:

I support LFC.The main thing is winning trophies you can have a boss night with mates any day of the week.Thanks for the how to be a fan info though.I'll keep that in mind.?

Can you remember what it is like to win trophies?

3 hours ago, pryce said:

Are we talking matches we have attended or all matches. I guess for some of us the list is the same ?

1. Wrexham 2 Arsenal 1 - FA cup third round 1991.

2. Birmingham 1 Wrexham 3 - FA cup 5th round 1997.

3. Wrexham 3 Middlesbrough 1 - FA cup 3rd round 1999

4. Wrexham 5 Cambridge 0 - sealing promotion 2002.

5. Wrexham 2 Southend 0 - LDV final 2005.

And then the last 15 years happened!!