Football 18/19

ThomThomDrum

10 minutes ago, man next door said:

Does it, though?

Perhaps it's just my twitter feed, but I hadn't seen it many times. I know there have been one or two over the last few seasons, but wasn't aware of it being that common.

If I'm remembering correctly, it happened to the Liverpool team in Istanbul for the final.

11 minutes ago, man next door said:

Does it, though?

Perhaps it's just my twitter feed, but I hadn't seen it many times. I know there have been one or two over the last few seasons, but wasn't aware of it being that common.

As excellent as liverpool were, I'm just looking for an explanation as to why Barca were slightly off the pace.

I've seen it plenty over the last few years to various teams. I live the street over and the fireworks weren't too loud or sustained, obviously still fine margins but it really wasn't much.

The entire team was rested at the weekend, so should have no excuses. I think they're just not used to having to work so hard, apparently Messi commented after the first leg that they were all run ragged.

14 minutes ago, man next door said:

Does it, though?

As excellent as liverpool were, I'm just looking for an explanation as to why Barca were slightly off the pace.

Its interesting that the same thing has happened to Barcelona two years in a row. I think the Roma side last year was weaker than the liverpool one this year. It could just be a coincidence, but I wonder if it will put the manager under pressure.

7 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Its interesting that the same thing has happened to Barcelona two years in a row. I think the Roma side last year was weaker than the liverpool one this year. It could just be a coincidence, but I wonder if it will put the manager under pressure.

Plus Barca did it to PSG from 4 vs 0 down last year..

Been quite a few recently. Worth remembering for those calling for the European super league. You only get nights like this from knock out football. 

57 minutes ago, man next door said:

Does it, though?

Same thing happened last year. They just wilt under pressure it seems

Unbelievable stuff last night but it was coming after the first goal. Barca weren't at it. Couldn't handle Liverpool closing them down like that.

Although after the 4th went in I did think it was perfectly set up for a Suarez winner and OTT celebration.

Hes been absolutely shite in the CL this year though.   

4 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Point taken, i do remember you saying that.

Was obviously unlikely which made it even more amazing to watch. Fabinho, Hendo and Milner swarming all over Barca for 90 minutes when they got past halfway was incredible. That hole in front of the back 4 in the first leg where Messi had time to turn and look up well and truly patched up! He didn't get a sniff. 

13 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Nah Neil and myself were in the "possible but unlikely" category. 

tho we also both said it wasn't gonna happen. :P 

By any measure it's an unlikely result, particularly without Salah and Firmino.

I wonder how many Liverpool fans had put money on it? Not many I reckon.

3 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Loved seeing Suarez shaking his head after the 3rd goal. Too sweet. Fowler gave him pelters on the telly I hear.

Yeah. Fowler, purist.

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

tho we also both said it wasn't gonna happen. :P 

By any measure it's an unlikely result, particularly without Salah and Firmino.

I wonder how many Liverpool fans had put money on it? Not many I reckon.

We did but theres only a couple of teams who we would give any chance in that situation. LFC are one of them.

Just now, eFestivals said:

in something I watched, someone suggested he should get a free final ticket. I think that's a great idea.

Give tickets to the people who follow the club week in week out.Or take them off Thomas Cook or other sanctioned club touts if you give one to a ball boy.

Just now, Wooderson said:

What fuckery is this?

Stick to Gaelic football.You thinking there's going to be an open top bus tour of the city to celebrate a great second leg semi final?The idea is to win the trophy.Amazing that you don't know that but only to be expected from a latch on.It'd turn a great victory into dust.