Who's playing which day 2017

the wonderwhy

Bit of a tangent - and nothing to do with you, Mr Mushroom, so don't fret - but I found this article on the enthusiasm teenage girls have for seeing their idols in concert a moving read this morning:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/may/23/manchester-heartbreak-never-grasped-what-big-pop-gigs-for-daughters-eyes

• Replies 961
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, 42hamlet said:

Can confirm that, clashes dependant, I'll be at Lorde and I'm not a teenage girl.

I don't think, anyway.

Yeah, but I never said only tho did I? I never said every single person would be a teenage girl there.

5 minutes ago, T-Mouse said:

Complaining about downvotes is one sure way to guarantee yourself a few more.

I think it's a legitimate complaint when people are misprepresenting what I've said and jumping on me for it. Esp just assuming that it was a negative statement

1 hour ago, 42hamlet said:

Is there any actual reason why Friday always seems to be so full of clashes? Or is it a case of us seeing a pattern where there isn't one and it's just a coincidence?

My guess would be that acts will play the Friday at Glastonbury before heading off to do European festivals over the rest of the weekend.

12 minutes ago, simian_mobile_mushrooms said:

When I'm being misrepresented, then yeah I get pretty sensitive about that...

It really is inconsequential though. It's only really a bugbear of mine when people have just joined the forum and get a downvote for an innocent question or suggestion and get dissuaded from coming back. If you're here long enough then you should know that people downvote all the time for any reason and you'd never have time to enjoy discussion if you worried about lurkers taking umbrage at a post.

14 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

My guess would be that acts will play the Friday at Glastonbury before heading off to do European festivals over the rest of the weekend.

They could play Sunday for the same reason, though.

I think we've just coincidentally had a few more clashes on Fridays than the other days over the last few years. There have also been big clashes on the other days (Cave/Pumpkins Sun, Chems/FlyLo Sun, Peej/Beck Sun, National/Avalanches Sat, Kanye/Mothership/Jon Hopkins/Suede/Spiritualized Sat). I doubt there's any specific reason why Friday has seemed the worst over the last few years.

The only thing is, we tend to have the most 'alternative' Pyramid headliner on the Friday due to not having to appease locals or the TV watchers (as much as on Saturday), which tends to be the most eFests-centric of the three headliners. However, as a result of this we also tend to have the most generic Other headliner on the Friday (Skrillex, Rudimental, Disclosure, Major Lazer over the last 4 years).

2 hours ago, Will-2609 said:

To be fair I'd expect them to play for around 2 hours. At Lollapalooza last year they had a 2.5 hour set and played for around 2 hours (I think some on here said it was just over 2 hours). They've been given 2.5 hour sets at festivals this year so I expect the same at Glasto, but they'll still probably only play for just over 2 hours.

They're Friday but we have no idea what slot they're in. Some are predicting JP headline whilst some are predicting high Other.

This is a bit shit isn't it? Because, if we're presuming A.Paak is sub on WH, then if Radiohead only played 2 hours and started at 9.45pm, it may still be possible to catch most of him. 2.5 hours makes that more unlikely and I'd prob opt for the whole Radiohead set, but if they then only play 2 hours, does that mean we'd just be standing around waiting for half an hour while A.Paak is on? 

Just now, Zoo Music Girl said:

Any room for Sun Ra on the bill? Announced dates in London Weds, Thurs and Fri... would love a return to the farm.

Not impossible, I guess, though it seems quite soon for them to return.

(though obviously the big man himself won't be there, other than as some sort of cosmic spectre)

I've seen Lorde live before and while I find some of her tunes okay her stage presence really annoyed the piss out of me. This was 3 years ago so hopefully shes grown as a performer as she was quite young and gained fame quite fast. 

I'll be sorted with the xx -> radiohead but really not enjoying the thought of missing paak and the flaming lips. 

9 minutes ago, MetaKate said:

I've seen Lorde live before and while I find some of her tunes okay her stage presence really annoyed the piss out of me. This was 3 years ago so hopefully shes grown as a performer as she was quite young and gained fame quite fast. 

I'll be sorted with the xx -> radiohead but really not enjoying the thought of missing paak and the flaming lips. 

From watching recent interviews I think her whole presence in general is a lot different to that from a few years back. I think she was young and trying too hard to be a bit different and too cool for school. Now she seems like a decent confident young woman.

To be fair she practically became a megastar overnight. If that happened to me when I was her age, I'd have been behaving far stranger than she did. She's got nothing to worry about though; She was good then but she's great now. Definitely seems to have come into her own with the new music and her performances seem very strong. 

Edited by jyoung

11 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Listened to Lorde a few weeks ago on recommendation. Listened to Liability and maybe Green Light?

Just seemed a bit bland to me. What am I missing?

Tennis courts.

if you don't like that track I think you will struggle with her 

16 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Listened to Lorde a few weeks ago on recommendation. Listened to Liability and maybe Green Light?

Just seemed a bit bland to me. What am I missing?

Tennis Court as said above and Team are the places to start. 

1 hour ago, Sasperella said:

if we're presuming A.Paak is sub on WH

it's not a presumption - tho whether what someone has told me is accurate, we've yet to find out.

(on the basis of other info from the same source having been proven good, I strongly suspect it is right tho if it's not it wouldn't be the first time I'm placed too much belief in what someone has said ... tho my record is pretty good. I don't just believe stuff because someone says it).