rzwodezwo

2019 Headliners

Just now, eFestivals said:

nah. It's either in their schedule or it isn't. 

And that aside, it would only really be UK shows that would count towards Glasto being less likely.

I see, to be honest not having one UK show (side from Summer Session) really implies they are doing something else, we have the gap. They probably are. 

1 hour ago, JoeyT said:

If Madge plays she's doing the hits.

Has anyone ever headlined and not played their biggest songs?!

If Madge plays (and I’m far from convinced it’ll happen) we’ll get what we’re given, and it’ll be whatever set list she’s doing on that tour. That said, there will be hits, but it probably won’t be wall to wall hits - if previous tours are anything to go by. If she is there, I certainly hope Ray of Light comes back into favour.

Neil Young and Springsteen in 2009 both did similar. Yes, hits were played, but also lots of deeper cuts. Not ideal for a festival crowd though.

2 minutes ago, henry bear said:

If Madge plays (and I’m far from convinced it’ll happen) we’ll get what we’re given, and it’ll be whatever set list she’s doing on that tour. That said, there will be hits, but it probably won’t be wall to wall hits - if previous tours are anything to go by. If she is there, I certainly hope Ray of Light comes back into favour.

Neil Young and Springsteen in 2009 both did similar. Yes, hits were played, but also lots of deeper cuts. Not ideal for a festival crowd though.

Springsteen didnt play a half-dozen tracks referencing "I'm The Boss, c**to" however. Fact his perf was a turkey notwithstanding.

5 minutes ago, henry bear said:

I thought Neil Young's set was brilliant. My first Glastonbury headliner and still one of my favourite sets. Agree re Springsteen, it was an ok set but considering it's duration a little light on material that would be familiar to an interested but not obsessive festival crowd.

• Upvote 1

Neil's show that night was outstanding. 20 min version of Down By The River one of the coolest things ive ever seen on The 'Mid.

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

As a fan of both who wasn't there, Bruce's setlist - flawed as it was - still seems more obviously packed with bangers than Neil's was.

Neil went off like the clappers and finished with a fiendishly wild crescendo. Springsteen plodded through the first 90 mins and never really hit his usual standard skyhigh peak. Neil revelled in it. Bruce had an off night.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Neil went off like the clappers and finished with a fiendishly wild crescendo. Springsteen plodded through the first 90 mins and never really hit his usual standard skyhigh peak. Neil revelled in it. Bruce had an off night.

Fair comment I feel. Neil was having an absolute ball, I was quite taken aback by his lack of curmudgeonliness. It was a delight hearing Rocking In The Free World still being sung all over the site well into the early hours of Saturday morning. What a terrific day that was. 

• Upvote 1

Madonna hasn't played a career spanning greatest hits set on her tours for ages. I'd guess the closest might have been the early 90's tours. And if she ever does, she certainly won't give it away to Glastonbury for their small headliner fee. She'll be cashing that one in on a tour.

23 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

As a fan of both who wasn't there, Bruce's setlist - flawed as it was - still seems more obviously packed with bangers than Neil's was.

Neil played 4 songs from Harvest. A 1/4 of the setlist. Played Everybody Knows, Down by the River, Cinnamon Girl, Free World, Hey Hey etc. Bangers everywhere. 

Bruce played his standard tour set which unfortunately was the tour of his worst album ever. I enjoyed it but he understandably lost a lot of people playing Coma Girl, Prove it all night, Lucky Day, Outlaw Pete, Working on a Dream, Seeds, Johnny 99 and Raise Your Hand in the first hour or so. Even hardcore Bruce fans lose interest there. 

Edited by The Nal

28 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Neil's show that night was outstanding. 20 min version of Down By The River one of the coolest things ive ever seen on The 'Mid.

In an alternative universe, he's still going with 'Keep on rocking...'

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Keithy said:

Madonna hasn't played a career spanning greatest hits set on her tours for ages. I'd guess the closest might have been the early 90's tours. And if she ever does, she certainly won't give it away to Glastonbury for their small headliner fee. She'll be cashing that one in on a tour.

Alternatively she drops a 90 minute hit-athon live on the BBC that acts as one huge advert for her upcoming tour. Once the rubes have bought their tickets she drops the new stuff on them.

Edited by Hugh Jass
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Keithy said:

In an alternative universe, he's still going with 'Keep on rocking...'

Affirmative. What a denouement.

7 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Alternatively she drops a 90 minute hit-athon live on the BBC that acts as one huge advert for her upcoming tour. Once the tubes have bought their tickets she drops the new stuff on them.

Hugh down the front demanding 'Taking Care of Business'

31 minutes ago, KeithRichardsWavedAtMe said:

Re the Cure, should the question now rather than "will they headline" be "how long will their setlist be" because if they get 3 hrs it'll be a drag - and I'm an actual fan

They didn't last time they headlined, so I'd expect a 'short' set like Hyde Park - which I thought worked really well.

1. Lovesonng
  2. Burn
  3. Encore:
  4. (First time since 2011)
  5. (First time since 2011)
  6. (played on time at 10:15 pm)

25 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Alternatively she drops a 90 minute hit-athon live on the BBC that acts as one huge advert for her upcoming tour. Once the rubes have bought their tickets she drops the new stuff on them.

Would be the sensible choice.

Do this and she could name her price for the rest of the tour. 

38 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Bruce played his standard tour set which unfortunately was the tour of his worst album ever.

Yes this must be the biggest blow. If it was a few years later or earlier and he played as many new songs, it wouldn’t have gone down nearly as badly.

2 minutes ago, The Nal said:

As his tour is with the Promise Of The Real over here, I’d expect something like this

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/neil-young-promise-of-the-real/2018/capitol-theatre-port-chester-ny-7be93658.html