2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

I broke my prediction into three distinct days (which never, ever happens in reality).

Friday - Da yoof 

Saturday - Chin strokers

Sunday - Massive crowd Sunday

Ya see I think people really overestimate how much Glasto pair their subs and headliners together. Usually unless the bands specifically request a certain pairing they prefer to contrast things a bit - and booking a 'chin strokers' night ain't what they do.

the 1975, The Cure and Paul Mccartney would be a good trio because it will definitely soften bucket listers attendees hopes for Glastonbury.

and no I’m not bitter because i’m missing out this year :( 

if I was going and those were the headliners I think it would be the first year I’d go and probably not see a single one. Might see a bit of the cure but I doubt I’d stick around for the whole thing

3 minutes ago, Mouseboy11 said:

AC/DC back with Brian Johnson is probably my dream booking on the farm now, alas it's highly unlikely.

Apparently he's back recording with them at the moment

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/brian-johnson-and-phil-rudd-appear-to-be-back-in-studio-with-ac-dc-photographic-proof/

Tbh I think people overstate the "contrast" thing. Every year I've been they've pretty much put the subs under the most fitting headliners. I don't think they actively go out and get subs that complement the headliners but I think they put the subs they've got under the most suitable headliner for em.

Even last year, when we got a weird one like The National under Foos, you can see the sense behind it. Biffy were the obvious one to go under Sheeran seeing as they were the most "pop" of three subs and the only one who'd have songs that the casual music fans turning up for Sheeran would know. Then out of The xx and The National, stylistically it's a pretty obvious move to have The xx under Radiohead and The National under Foos.

In 2016 Foals under Muse was obvious, and the remaining two didn't fit under either headliner, but I guess the way it ended up made most sense with Coldplay probably having some fans of their earlier work who may be into Beck.

2015 needs no explaining - Foos/Flo, Kanye/Pharrell, The Who/Weller.

2014 as well - Arcade Fire/Elbow, Metallica/Jack White, Kasabian/The Black Keys.

2013 you've got The Stones requesting Primal Scream before them so ignore that one. Dizzee under Arctics makes sense and Nick Cave below Mumfords is mental but it'd have been exactly the same under Arctic Monkeys, even if they did cover Red Right Hand once.

Then you've obviously got the fact some acts are only available on specific days, and the fact bookings can change. Maybe in 2013 they were chasing someone else for the Sunday headliner (e.g. Depeche Mode) when they booked Nick Cave, and then ended up having to have him sub Mumford because he was already booked for that day.

I don't see any evidence of them actively seeking a contrast. I see evidence of them booking the subs they want and then fitting them below the most suitable headliner for them.

12 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

Ya see I think people really overestimate how much Glasto pair their subs and headliners together. Usually unless the bands specifically request a certain pairing they prefer to contrast things a bit - and booking a 'chin strokers' night ain't what they do.

Yeah I only really noticed after I posted. Slight revision...

1975 - Vampire Weekend - Dua Lipa - Ashcroft

The Cure - Stormzy - LDR

Macca - LG - Ezra - Kylie - Crowe

4 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Even last year, when we got a weird one like The National under Foos, you can see the sense behind it. Biffy were the obvious one to go under Sheeran seeing as they were the most "pop" of three subs and the only one who'd have songs that the casual music fans turning up for Sheeran would know. Then out of The xx and The National, stylistically it's a pretty obvious move to have The xx under Radiohead and The National under Foos.

Biffy are more pop than the xx agreed

4 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

I contest this one. The xx into Ed Sheeran, The National into Radiohead and Biffy into Foos makes way more sense.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Spider43 said:

Based on record sales I’d say considerably more...

True but the point I was trying to make was a lot of people would only know a small percentage of the bands at Glastonbury and even the ones they've heard of unless they are fans they wouldn't know many songs . That's just an age and taste thing . If Taylor swift played I would struggle to name 2 songs same with stormzy . But that's my age and taste in music . I'm an old fart who likes the cure a lot ... and radiohead 

7 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I contest this one. The xx into Ed Sheeran, The National into Radiohead and Biffy into Foos makes way more sense.

As much as I enjoyed The xx last year The National > Radiohead would've been my beard-stroking heaven.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

Biffy are more pop than the xx agreed

I dunno if this is sarcasm or not but Biffy Clyro surely have more songs that your average Ed Sheeran crowd will know? Many of Horror, Mountains, Bubbles, The Captain, Biblical, etc.

5 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I was gonna add that that way round probably makes a bit more sense but I dunno about "way more". Depends where they begin when lining them up, for me. If their first priority was to put someone below Ed Sheeran who aren't just gonna be talked through like Beck before Coldplay the previous year then Biffy are the only ones who fit that imo. 

3 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

In any case I don't think they're likely to book a double-bill of chin strokers, even if they go together. More likely to have someone 'mainstream' under The Cure imo.

Yeah despite all the above I agree with this, mostly because of what you said about the field being empty all night if they stick someone like TWOD on before them.

https://www.glastofestfeed.com/latest/news/emily-eavis-reveals-3-big-name-acts-not-headlining-glastonbury-2019/

Madonna, Led Zeppelin and Fleetwood Mac ruled out according to this. No idea how realisable the site is, just popped up on my page. These were all pretty long shots imo anyway with Zeppelin just not gonna happen and Mac not much more likely. 

Get a bit more of a realistic rumourmill killing the usual suspects wlthat never happen off early.