2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

1 minute ago, SCG95 said:

Plenty of discussion about Stormzy...

Is all the hype because of his insta post a while back or do people genuinely think he’s ready to headline the pyramid? 

88571B74-540F-4773-AE9F-A94069B089BF.thumb.jpeg.93b26b33e0406086bbf6f94cc4fe1526.jpeg

Well, both. He was already being discussed before he posted that and him posting that obviously led to more people thinking he may be playing.

Obviously no one thinks he's currently a Pyramid headliner but those predicting him to do so are obviously assuming he'll have a second album out that's as successful as his first one was, warranting the bump up.

5 minutes ago, chatty said:

https://www.glastofestfeed.com/latest/news/emily-eavis-reveals-3-big-name-acts-not-headlining-glastonbury-2019/

Madonna, Led Zeppelin and Fleetwood Mac ruled out according to this. No idea how realisable the site is, just popped up on my page. These were all pretty long shots imo anyway with Zeppelin just not gonna happen and Mac not much more likely. 

Get a bit more of a realistic rumourmill killing the usual suspects wlthat never happen off early.

Follow the yellow brick road, it all leads back to here.

Man I used to read every post in the headliners thread religiously and just now skipped forward from page 279. Part timer these days. 

I've had a couple and I'm beatles album hopping to fruitlessly work out my favourite one again. (Its revolver).  (Nah it's Abbey road). I know Paul McCartney isn't the Beatles but he was in them, I'd really really love it if he did it, more so than any other headliner announced since 2009. I know some of you are bare old and were at the last one but I really really hope there's something to him being there.

Seems like the cure are nailed on, hope that's wrong and gaga and stormzy do the other slots.

Hope arctic monkeys come back after their next album, hopefully with 10 years between their last set.

Hope coldplay and muse headline the same year again for the #bantz on here.

Sound.

48 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

I dunno if this is sarcasm or not but Biffy Clyro surely have more songs that your average Ed Sheeran crowd will know? Many of Horror, Mountains, Bubbles, The Captain, Biblical, etc.

Ehhh not really. Many of Horror is the only one you'd think of as having much crossover with the Sheeran fans, and they're certainly not a 'pop' act in the same way The xx are. I mean even I couldn't tell you how Mountains, Bubbles or The Captain go, and I was at that set.

Just now, Mash011 said:

Ehhh not really. Many of Horror is the only one you'd think of as having much crossover with the Sheeran fans, and they're certainly not a 'pop' act in the same way The xx are. I mean even I couldn't tell you how Mountains, Bubbles or The Captain go, and I was at that set.

Meh agree to disagree. I reckon your random person on the street could name you mode Biffy Clyro songs than The xx songs. 

1 minute ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Meh agree to disagree. I reckon your random person on the street could name you mode Biffy Clyro songs than The xx songs. 

Well even if that's true you're you're just going off which act's more popular in that case rather than which one's more 'pop'. We were talking about matching up acts which have more in common stylistically, not just saying the most well known subs should go under the the biggest headliner or whatever.

Just now, forjustoneday said:

Might be a tough one to answer but how accurate have you guys been over the years? Do you normally arrive at the 3 headliners in some way or is there normally 1 or 2 that completely surprise you?

Don't trust anything you hear on this dumbass forum tbh.

• Like 1

Just now, forjustoneday said:

Might be a tough one to answer but how accurate have you guys been over the years? Do you normally arrive at the 3 headliners in some way or is there normally 1 or 2 that completely surprise you?

I think the last one that got everyone by surprise was the who (I weren't going nor a member that year) since then Neil and the community have been bang on 

1 minute ago, Mash011 said:

Well even if that's true you're you're just going off which act's more popular in that case rather than which one's more 'pop'. We were talking about matching up acts which have more in common stylistically, not just saying the most well known subs should go under the the biggest headliner or whatever.

Fair, maybe I shouldn't have used the word "pop" in my original post, as my point was about them fitting under Ed Sheeran better in terms of having more tunes that his crowd will know. I guess using the word "mainstream" would have made more sense.

And it wasn't just that he was the biggest headliner. If instead of Foos we had Led Zeppelin I'd be saying the same. The point was, with Ed Sheeran being a mainstream pop artist whose crowd will largely be casual music fans who know what they know via listening to Radio One or whatever, a band with a decent amount of mainstream hits would be more likely to hold the attention of that crowd.

I still don't see any evidence that they actively try to have a contrast. Even accepting that last year would have made more sense the way dental laid it out, in my experience the subs have mostly been placed below the most suitable headliner.

7 minutes ago, deadpheasant said:

More pop than the XX...

I mean, I've already clarified that I was talking in terms of their audience and how many well known songs they have rather than their genre, and that I probably should have used the word "mainstream" rather than "pop".

I'm talking about how that setlist contained the likes of Many of Horror, Mountains, Biblical, etc. that most people know, whilst The xx don't have that.

But yeah, I used the wrong term. I get that stylistically The xx are more of a pop act than Biffy Clyro.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

Yeah I only really noticed after I posted. Slight revision...

1975 - Vampire Weekend - Dua Lipa - Ashcroft

The Cure - Stormzy - LDR

Macca - LG - Ezra - Kylie - Crowe

If you swap Friday 2nd and 3rd it's possible. VW above DL. ..no chance.

12 minutes ago, deadpheasant said:

More pop than the XX...

Such a good set that.

1 hour ago, Gucci Piggy said:

I mean, I've already clarified that I was talking in terms of their audience and how many well known songs they have rather than their genre, and that I probably should have used the word "mainstream" rather than "pop".

I'm talking about how that setlist contained the likes of Many of Horror, Mountains, Biblical, etc. that most people know, whilst The xx don't have that.

But yeah, I used the wrong term. I get that stylistically The xx are more of a pop act than Biffy Clyro.

this is a joke, right?

Biblical got to no.70 in the charts. I've just put it on youtube and I'm pretty sure i've literally never heard it in my life.

most people don't know a single Biffy Clyro song. some people would recognise Many Of Horror from being covered by an X-Factor winner. that's it.

16 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

this is a joke, right?

Biblical got to no.70 in the charts. I've just put it on youtube and I'm pretty sure i've literally never heard it in my life.

most people don't know a single Biffy Clyro song. some people would recognise Many Of Horror from being covered by an X-Factor winner. that's it.

Fair enough, I thought that song was bigger. Doesn't really change my point, though - The xx's highest charting singles were Islands and On Hold which reached number 34. Biffy Clyro have 15 singles that charted at number 34 or higher. In fact, from Glitter and Trauma in 2004 until Black Chandelier in 2013, the only single they released which charted lower than those two The xx singles was God and Satan, which reached number 36.