2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

37 minutes ago, Stokesy10 said:

That's literally the point I was making about her relevance dude.

Yes.....don't take my word for the them....check stats...that don't lie!

Joanne sold less and considerably enough so that the bombed Artpop....even in America! Compared them to earlier and it's crazy! 

To put a little context into it...that awful M&S output of Wilder Wind only got beat by 10k coppies with Gaga's Joanne. And that was the album for them that people said are they relevant....didn't even know they released an album. Now I knew about Joanne ....but mostly due to the bold art on the album case but it very much came and went to a point Artpop was talked about for longer...not for good reasons but no publicly is bad publicity and all that.

46 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Yes.....don't take my word for the them....check stats...that don't lie!

Joanne sold less and considerably enough so that the bombed Artpop....even in America! Compared them to earlier and it's crazy! 

To put a little context into it...that awful M&S output of Wilder Wind only got beat by 10k coppies with Gaga's Joanne. And that was the album for them that people said are they relevant....didn't even know they released an album. Now I knew about Joanne ....but mostly due to the bold art on the album case but it very much came and went to a point Artpop was talked about for longer...not for good reasons but no publicly is bad publicity and all that.

What about a side on headshot if the lead artist counts as bold album art?

And it's not really a suprise that a big electro-pop acts country and jazz albums did more poorly than their normal stuff is it...

1 hour ago, StupidDream said:

Haha, great daughter you have, especially as I am a huge Beatles fan myself. Started around age of 14 and more than a decade later I still am. My old man is a fan too, but doesn't know as much as I do and I often have to 'educate' him :P Had few young friends to share it with, sadly. 

What triggered their sudden interest in them? 

I'm not sure to be honest. At Glasto 2017 we went to the bootleg Beatles and kids sat in the doorway reading the Glastonbury press, so it's turned around pretty quickly! Maybe she received subliminal messages...did they play any tracks backwards I wonder?:mellow:.

In June I was talking to this guy who was a production manager for the Carters then current stadium tour. He was saying he also looks after the Foos and Gaga, and what a talent the latter is. She did the album with Tony Bennett because she’s a huge fan and it was a thrill for her. I don’t think album sales was a consideration - it was always going to be playing to more of a niche market. ASIB will more than make up for that, and shows an ambition, like those last few albums, to stretch herself creatively, rather than just churning out pop albums. I don’t think she’ll be at GF, but I hope so (even though I’m not a huge fan myself, just think it would be a great booking), and if she is I really can’t see her anything other than headlining.

@slash's hat I asked my 15 year old about the 1975 as well and he didnt have a clue. Him and his mates mostly listen to whatever we are calling grime/drill/etc now plus a lot of US Drake type stuff, I had a look at his playlist and hadnt heard of any of them. He does know who Bastille and Kasabian are though as I have been dragged to see them before. 

5 minutes ago, henry bear said:

I know they’re big with the yoof, and sell out arenas and stuff, but honestly don’t think they’ve got enough appeal outside of that age bracket to make them classic headliner material yet.

Yep people on here are saying they'd get a massive crowd but I don't think they would. They're huge but I'd guess that most of their fanbase aren't Glasto attendees. I think they'd be pretty poorly received as a headliner.

51 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

The 1975 are one of those bands you get laughed at for listening to. They're like the pop version of My Chemical Romance.

I don't hate them, but if I was listening to The 1975 at uni and someone asked who I was listening to I'd probably say someone else.

Totally different experience to mine, although everyone I know who likes them also listens to Ed Sheeran and that so I’m probably just not very cool

1 hour ago, henry bear said:

I know they’re big with the yoof, and sell out arenas and stuff, but honestly don’t think they’ve got enough appeal outside of that age bracket to make them classic headliner material yet.

the crowds that packed out various tents for them at R+L in 2013, 2014 and 2016 should in theory now have ‘graduated’ to going to Glastonbury. And according to reports on here they got a bigger crowd on the Other Stage in 2016 than basically anyone else including the headliners anyway. Obviously it doesn’t necessarily work like that and some of them may have moved on to shite like drill but they’d definitely get a respectable crowd. 

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

3 hours ago, Stokesy10 said:

I've been meaning to ask summat about his performance which didn't warrant a new thread:

I watched one of those "vids to show newbies" the other day, and there was some clips of Sheeran, snippets of about 8 tracks - Was it LITERALLY him and the acoustic for the entire set? The odd bit of percussion? It sounded like the most boring sack of cack ever. I know a video on a mobile isn't a great example of what a gig sounds like.

Mostly. Some tracks he adds layers with a loop pedal, he used a different instrument on Shape Of You, and for one Irish sounding song he had an Irish band with him. But it's mostly him and his guitar. 

2 hours ago, Mattymooz said:

What about a side on headshot if the lead artist counts as bold album art?

And it's not really a suprise that a big electro-pop acts country and jazz albums did more poorly than their normal stuff is it...

No.....but I don't think that really helps make it a different story.

Regardless of the material release...if it bombs and unnoticed then it is.