2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

2 minutes ago, sisco said:

Yeah I do appreciate it, but it’d still surprise me if at least 3 of their headliners play prominent spots at the same festival. 

It wouldn't me. The nature of things is that there's only so many bands to go round, and with Glastonbury having such a big line-up it's impossible not to have a lot of acts at both.

And if APE wants exclusive that's going to cost them more to book that act - which is probably pretty risky when they couldn't sell out many of last year's shows when there wasn't the competition of Glastonbury.

41 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Less likely to headline if anything but definitely doesn't rule them out

If they have a headline slot somewhere else, they’re not taking a lower paying, lower slot at Glastonbury. I think if anything it’s ruled out the chances of that.

I would say the headline slot is still on the table. It’s quite clear that all six APE headliners aren’t the same size as one another - just like The Killers and Solange aren’t equal headliners, nor are Florence and whoever else is headlining Boardmasters this year - so any equations like ‘APE headliner equals Pyramid sub’ is daft.

Also if Glastonbury stops booking headliners that are doing any festival less than about 60k then it’ll run out of headliners pretty fast.

10 minutes ago, emmo88 said:

First time poster! Been reading this forum since 2014. 

Not sure if it’s been discussed, but is there no chance Bon Iver could be headlining? Arguably much bigger than most mentioned. Would be divisive I’m sure, but perfect headliner for me!

No chance Bon Ivor’s headlining. At least people have actually heard of The Strokes.

13 minutes ago, emmo88 said:

Not sure if it’s been discussed, but is there no chance Bon Iver could be headlining? Arguably much bigger than most mentioned. Would be divisive I’m sure, but perfect headliner for me!

I am so Rubbish, are Bon Iver big? do they have a big following , or are they a new band ?

15 minutes ago, emmo88 said:

No chance of Bon Iver playing I'm afraid, they're in the US that weekend.

17 minutes ago, emmo88 said:

I wouldn't have ruled it out in other years, if there were more household names either side. A little like Arcade Fire. Huge cult following, but not as well known to the masses.

Other headliner I could see, but not available I think as stated above. 

46 minutes ago, thisisthesam said:

Drake?

At £140 a pop for standing, I imagine his fee is a tad expensive.

He's one I could see do it eventually, it'd be a huge cultural event similar to Jay-Z if they do ever get him, I think he'd be up for it too.

Probably not in the same year as Stormzy though.

1 minute ago, emmo88 said:

Gah! Hadn’t realised. Think they would be an incredible headliner tbh. Strokes will do just fine though I think. 

Dunno if your lurking has included the Bon Iver thread but there's an on-going dream from some of us here of Bon Iver headlining the Other Stage at some point. When they announced gigs this summer it looked possible (just like it did 2 years ago) but died with a US announcement. There's also the feeling they've either outgrown it or perhaps wouldn't accept it as they're headlining (or at least playing main stage) at plenty of other festivals. Whatever slot though, I'd love to see Bon Iver at Glastonbury. It'll happen again one day!

Still crossing fingers that it is The Strokes but the only APE date they can do is the 25th of May( slap bang in middle of exams for me,fantastic) then they head back to USA early June and then Europe mid July so unless they're doing shows inbetween glasto and the european festivals already announced in mid July, it doesn't seem likely that they'd do three trips to Europe, sorry this is a really convulted way of saying it

49 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

i watched the whole Kanye set again recently, it was brilliant up until those 15-20mins in the middle when he killed the vibe completely. take that out, and the 5mins fannying around getting on the boom lift and it would have been excellent.

I dunno. For me it went downhill a lot sooner. The first setback was obviously the stage invader and momentarily not knowing if Ye was gonna return, then the run of Cruel Summer songs lost a lot of people... The set after Justin Vernon left - apart from the blackout and uncertainty for the crane - was a really fantastic barrage of tunes looking back but I was kinda already dejected about the whole thing by then.

Edited by dentalplan

1 hour ago, Jimmerz95 said:

Hope they do Glasto none the less

1 hour ago, sisco said:

Surely Glastonbury aren’t going to have 3 of the APE headers?! Christine and the Queens, The Strokes and The Chemical Brothers all heavily linked.  

Not sure that’ll be right. 

It could still happen but alternatively, Catfish or Ezra might have the spot.

1 hour ago, mufcok said:

I know APE hasn't been going that long (to my knowledge) but from what I can see from previous lineups it seems to be Pyramid sub/Other headliners topping the bill from what I can see. I really can't see The Strokes accepting a sub slot at Glastonbury if they're headlining everywhere else they play

If they are headlining APE, that's accepting their status here isn't strictly headlining major UK Festivals anymore.

28 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I actually thought Kanye killed it. I was really surprised by the negative reaction. 

Where I stood it was going off. Was one of my favourite Glasto sets I’ve seen.

I loved it, but there were a couple of undeniable blunders. Not enough to wreck my night but you got to remember that loads of people went to that set just gagging for him to fuck up and ran with what they can get. I wasn't even in the inner circle but the crowd were with him all the way through where I was. The rest of my group were stood further back and had people just streaming past them to leave for most of it; then I was in that situation for the bit of Radiohead I saw in 2017 and that experience really does make it look like the band is dying up there.

Caught the 1975 in Manchester last night and I thought they were great again. Stage set up and visuals were one of the best I’ve seen, and they threw a good party.

Going to see how they go down at Leeds in the summer headlining but I think they’d do a pretty good job topping the pyramid one night in the years to come. 

Love it if we made it is a tune.

21 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

I loved it, but there were a couple of undeniable blunders. Not enough to wreck my night but you got to remember that loads of people went to that set just gagging for him to fuck up and ran with what they can get. I wasn't even in the inner circle but the crowd were with him all the way through where I was. The rest of my group were stood further back and had people just streaming past them to leave for most of it; then I was in that situation for the bit of Radiohead I saw in 2017 and that experience really does make it look like the band is dying up there.

Its the biggest exodus Ive seen on the Pyramid. It was so bad at one point I genuinely though there would be no one left by the end. Bigger than Oasis in 04, Gorillaz in 2010 and Radiohead in 2017 (wasn't there going by reports). 

5 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Its the biggest exodus Ive seen on the Pyramid. It was so bad at one point I genuinely though there would be no one left by the end. Bigger than Oasis in 04, Gorillaz in 2010 and Radiohead in 2017 (wasn't there going by reports). 

Oasis were lackluster in '04 but I don't recall people leaving at all. It just seemed like we were waiting for it to get better. Gorillaz was definitely exodus-laden