2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

32 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

It wasn't a tour de force, but I also enjoyed it.

Their setlist was near 100% bangers, which isn't something anyone will be able to say about Sideshow Bob and the lads.

I was at BST and if their Glasto set is anything like that set i'd strongly disagree with you. I'm not a big Cure fan at all but I knew most of the songs they played that day.

4 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Headlining Other doesn't seem a stretch to me - in fact it seems the most obvious place for them, moreso than subbing the Pyramid - but no there's no reason for them to be there until at least their next album.

I meant more it's a stretch after subbing the Pyramid in 2017 and with no new album. Headlining the Other in 2017 would have made sense, but they've toured extensively since. I'd welcome it with opens in 2019 mind you!

1 minute ago, jparx said:

I meant more it's a stretch after subbing the Pyramid in 2017 and with no new album. Headlining the Other in 2017 would have made sense, but they've toured extensively since. I'd welcome it with opens in 2019 mind you!

wish they'd swapped alt-J and The National around.  Didn't see any of the headliners that night, headed into the SE corner instead which I definitely don't regret but The National headlining Other would have been great.

8 minutes ago, Johnnyseven said:

I was at BST and if their Glasto set is anything like that set i'd strongly disagree with you. I'm not a big Cure fan at all but I knew most of the songs they played that day.

Same. I'm a casual Cure fan, and knew a lot more songs that i had anticipated. I thought they were excellent too.

1 hour ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Headlining Other doesn't seem a stretch to me - in fact it seems the most obvious place for them, moreso than subbing the Pyramid - but no there's no reason for them to be there until at least their next album.

Naw, for a band rising up outta the G-league they gotta take those big slots and make them their own like Nick Cave did. Once they made a turtle's neck of it, we can't just go "wasn't fair, I saw a Foo Fighters fan who wasn't interested!". It was the band's god damn fault.

I would anticipate they'll become an arena band on the next album and hopefully get a shot on the Pyramid again, possibly headlining, in ten years time or so - Other headliner in between would be accepting defeat..

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Naw, for a band rising up outta the G-league they gotta take those big slots and make them their own like Nick Cave did. Once they made a turtle's neck of it, we can't just go "wasn't fair, I saw a Foo Fighters fan who wasn't interested!". It was the band's god damn fault.

You're bang on with this. Cave owned that slot playing to a load of disinteresteds and it still gets talked about. The atmosphere for The National just wasn't there. 

3 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I would anticipate they'll become an arena band on the next album and hopefully get a shot on the Pyramid again, possibly headlining, in ten years time or so - Other headliner in between would be accepting defeat..

Bit confused, dunno if you've misinterpreted my post or something. I know it was their fault it bombed, I said yesterday they made a pig's ear of it by playing a load of unreleased songs.

I thought the person I replied to was saying The National headlining the Other Stage seems weird in general (as opposed what he actually meant which was them playing Other one festival later seems weird), when to me that seems the most fitting slot on the bill for them (I'm sure most people last year said the same when the lineup came out, and if it wasn't for their position on the first lineup poster I'm sure it's where the majority of people would have placed them).

Fair enough on them not coming back and accepting another non-headline slot anytime soon; I could easily see that being the case, too. I don't see them ever headlining the festival tbh unless something strange happens and they become massively more popular.

Just now, Gucci Piggy said:

Bit confused, dunno if you've misinterpreted my post or something. I know it was their fault it bombed, I said yesterday they made a pig's ear of it by playing a load of unreleased songs.

I thought the person I replied to was saying The National headlining the Other Stage seems weird in general (as opposed what he actually meant which was them playing Other one festival later seems weird), when to me that seems the most fitting slot on the bill for them (I'm sure most people last year said the same when the lineup came out, and if it wasn't for their position on the first lineup poster I'm sure it's where the majority of people would have placed them).

Fair enough on them not coming back and accepting another non-headline slot anytime soon; I could easily see that being the case, too. I don't see them ever headlining the festival tbh unless something strange happens and they become massively more popular.

I know. I just wanted to vent and picked one of the posts discussing the National tbh.

I was gonna ention how they woulda probably gone down worse in the Other headline slot because there would be an even higher proportion of expectant fans being let down by tunes they don't know, but I forgot to work that in.

4 minutes ago, zico martin said:

But the people I was with, who didn't know the national, loved them and became instant fans. And of the unpopular set list, as one said - they're all unknown new songs to me!

yeah, same here.

non-fans: this is pretty good, that guy is a bit crazy, why's he going backstage in the middle of the song haha

fans: yeah, it's alright, but they can be so much better. why are they playing all these unreleased songs? play some f-ing singles  :|

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I know. I just wanted to vent and picked one of the posts discussing the National tbh.

I was gonna ention how they woulda probably gone down worse in the Other headline slot because there would be an even higher proportion of expectant fans being let down by tunes they don't know, but I forgot to work that in.

Still baffles me how they approached that gig. They were on their way to establishing themselves as festival headliners and got a one off gig subbing the Pyramid Stage a few months before their new album came out, and instead of making it as crowd pleasing as possible and trying to garner some interest in them from the people in the crowd or watching on TV who weren't already fans they did that.

Something along these lines would have been perfect, and is the same length as the setlist they played. The new single plus one unreleased song (which was to be their next single), plus most of their other biggest songs. Stupid band.

1. Sea of Love

2. Fake Empire

3. The System Only Dreams in Total Darkness

4. Don't Swallow the Cap

5. Abel

6. Guilty Party

7. Mistaken For Strangers

8. I Need My Girl

9. England

10. Bloodbuzz Ohio

11. Mr November

12. Terrible Love

3 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Still baffles me how they approached that gig. They were on their way to establishing themselves as festival headliners and got a one off gig subbing the Pyramid Stage a few months before their new album came out, and instead of making it as crowd pleasing as possible and trying to garner some interest in them from the people in the crowd or watching on TV who weren't already fans they did that.

Something along these lines would have been perfect, and is the same length as the setlist they played. The new single plus one unreleased song (which was to be their next single), plus most of their other biggest songs. Stupid band.

1. Sea of Love

2. Fake Empire

3. The System Only Dreams in Total Darkness

4. Don't Swallow the Cap

5. Abel

6. Guilty Party

7. Mistaken For Strangers

8. I Need My Girl

9. England

10. Bloodbuzz Ohio

11. Mr November

12. Terrible Love

Baffling indeed. I started going off them a bit at that point and I'm sure it's one of the reasons I could never get into SWB. Felt they let me down or something. I dunno.

It's not as good though anyway innit. 

Re: The National. I was a sorta fan, but was totally blown away by their Glasto performances (largely due to the fact I wasn't totally familiar with their material, so just enjoyed it as a casual listener)

For my dad, who was there only waiting for Foo Fighters and on my recommendation that I'd heard they were a great live band, was totally transformed by the show (and, oddly, was almost brought to tears by 'I Need My Girl'). The National are now one of his favourite bands, we've seen them again together, and that Glasto set will now always have a special place in my heart.

Different strokes for different folks I guess, but I can attest to the fact that it seemed to have gone down a hell of a lot better to non-fans.

3 hours ago, Johnnyseven said:

I must be the only person that really enjoyed The Who's set that year, I thought they were great!

Not at all. They’re still great live band; I usually go and see them when they tour and saw them a few days prior to Glastonbury, at BST. They obviously don’t connect with everyone, but have a great back catalogue to delve into.

Just now, dentalplan said:

I think I was the only one who mentioned it, and that's distant future stuff when they've been headlining mid-sized festivals and playing arenas for a good decade.

I really don’t think that trajectory is the dead cert route to headliner people think it is. They’re not headlining, Queens of the Stone Age aren’t headlining, Nick Cave isn’t headlining

Just now, Winslow Leach said:

I really don’t think that trajectory is the dead cert route to headliner people think it is. They’re not headlining, Queens of the Stone Age aren’t headlining, Nick Cave isn’t headlining

Not for everyone but you can see some bands in ascendancy. And I'm counting the apparent Cure booking as score-one to the nerds who don't think Glastonbury will cede to the pop charts like Coachella has.

Besides, The National are the new Radiohead. Loony fans who aren't going anywhere, probably game the charts by buying every format and attending their entire tour.

12 minutes ago, henry bear said:

Not at all. They’re still great live band; I usually go and see them when they tour and saw them a few days prior to Glastonbury, at BST. They obviously don’t connect with everyone, but have a great back catalogue to delve into.

The fact I knew all the songs probably helped.