2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

4 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

It's not. That's the issue. That Who set isn't exactly remembered fondly. 

Whether or not it's remembered fondly I didn't think that was the backbone of the argument against them playing or not. A lot of people were preaching them being irrelevant which is kinda true in terms of albums but the same could be said with: The Who and Metallica.

7 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

It's not. That's the issue. That Who set isn't exactly remembered fondly. 

But that's because they were shit and had already headlined fairly recently, not because they're a comparable booking to The Cure.

If they hadn't headlined in 24 years it would probably have been seen as a good booking. The problem was they'd headlined 8 years prior, had done nothing since and were shit on the night. None of this can be applied to The Cure, and judging by most accounts of their recent live performances, they'll put on a better show than The Who did.

6 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

But that's because they were shit and had already headlined fairly recently, not because they're a comparable booking to The Cure.

If they hadn't headlined in 24 years it would probably have been seen as a good booking. The problem was they'd headlined 8 years prior, had done nothing since and were shit on the night. None of this can be applied to The Cure, and judging by most accounts of their recent live performances, they'll put on a better show than The Who did.

Yeah fair enough. I'd just like then to get around to offering the headline gig to some of the irrelevant bands I actually like!

33 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I absolutely think The Cure will headline Pyramid, but just to play devil's advocate Smashing Pumpkins subbed Other in 2013 didn't they? And they're selling out arenas. Granted they'd been away for a while, but surely that would merit the headline slot even more so. 

I'm not a massive fan, so it doesn't make much difference to me - but as I understand it, Smashing Pumpkins of 2013 was Billy plus a few other musicians, and so people weren't so bothered about it. Whereas Smashing Pumpkins now is much closer to their "classic" lineup and so the fans are much more interested in it.

1 minute ago, incident said:

I'm not a massive fan, so it doesn't make much difference to me - but as I understand it, Smashing Pumpkins of 2013 was Billy plus a few other musicians, and so people weren't so bothered about it. Whereas Smashing Pumpkins now is much closer to their "classic" lineup and so the fans are much more interested in it.

And even now they ain't selling tickets like The Cure are I don't think.

Just now, Gucci Piggy said:

And even now they ain't selling tickets like The Cure are I don't think.

Well The Cure did three nights at Wembley Arena in 16 (off the back of nothing) and I think Smashing Pumpkins are doing 1 night there this year and that's off the back of all the 'hype'. Also, The Cure headline festivals...

So yeah, correct.

42 minutes ago, James96 said:

I would have put a female artist in the Saturday slot but couldn't really think of one who's active and big enough, Florence if she didn't headline in 2015. 

Wouldn’t watch but I feel like Rihanna is gearing up to release new material. And then Lady Gaga possibly if she’s feeling well again and wants to head out on tour, seeing as she had to pull most of the last one. But with either of those we’re probably gonna be knee-deep in more pondering about whether they’re actually headliners or just supporting The 1975...

4 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Well The Cure did three nights at Wembley Arena in 16 (off the back of nothing) and I think Smashing Pumpkins are doing 1 night there this year and that's off the back of all the 'hype'. Also, The Cure headline festivals...

So yeah, correct.

To be fair I thought this Smashing Pumpins lineup would be headlining festivals, but yeah I was just thinking about their arena shows. I didn't know specifically what they were doing but I'd read on here they hadn't sold amazingly. Just looked and they have one UK date - Wembley Arena which doesn't seem to be anywhere near sold out.

4 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

To be fair I thought this Smashing Pumpins lineup would be headlining festivals, but yeah I was just thinking about their arena shows. I didn't know specifically what they were doing but I'd read on here they hadn't sold amazingly. Just looked and they have one UK date - Wembley Arena which doesn't seem to be anywhere near sold out.

Probably because the tickets are so extortionate. I'd be going otherwise.

28 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

I must be the only person that really enjoyed The Who's set that year, I thought they were great!

Sure Neil Young could be another act in this vein and his set was blinding in 2009.

44 minutes ago, kalifire said:

The Who were also an eleventh hour replacement, as I recall.

Yes they cancelled a gig in Paris to play Glastonbury.

Should not have bothered after they admitted they did not play very well at Glasto

2 minutes ago, Divein said:

Nearly 3/1 for Arctic Monkeys its such a big price , if it's still like that next week I might stick a few quid on. 

I think the new album will have TV audiences switching over and the Pyramid masses making an early dash for Arcadia before the q's start.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

16 minutes ago, Johnnyseven said:

I must be the only person that really enjoyed The Who's set that year, I thought they were great!

It wasn't a tour de force, but I also enjoyed it.

Their setlist was near 100% bangers, which isn't something anyone will be able to say about Sideshow Bob and the lads.

The National obviously aren't headlining Glastonbury, but is there reason to think they might be there again or are people just teasing me? Surely if they return so soon after subbing the big P the only slot they can do is either secret (why would they bother?) or headlining the Other (seems a stretch, but if LCD can...?)

6 minutes ago, jparx said:

The National obviously aren't headlining Glastonbury, but is there reason to think they might be there again or are people just teasing me? Surely if they return so soon after subbing the big P the only slot they can do is either secret (why would they bother?) or headlining the Other (seems a stretch, but if LCD can...?)

Nah they blew it. Glasto HQ are on high alert over booking them again in case they dedicate the whole set to Grateful Dead covers.

5 minutes ago, jparx said:

If they come back next year it would potentially mean them touring SWB for 3 years. They seemed to hit most European festivals last year so what reason would they have to come back to Europe?

If they come back it would be hopefully to headline the Other but I cant see it.

But on the other other hand they played in 08 and then again in 2010 so who knows.

17 minutes ago, jparx said:

Headlining Other doesn't seem a stretch to me - in fact it seems the most obvious place for them, moreso than subbing the Pyramid - but no there's no reason for them to be there until at least their next album.