2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

Still maintain that booking Madonna would have to be a hits job, given her rep for eschewing them. Surely she knows that?

As for The Cure, if they do crop up, I'd expect Disintegration in full, but not strictly in order or sequence. When I saw them in Hammersmith in 2014, they trotted out all of The Top, albeit scattered across the set, for its 30th anniversary; I'd think that celebrating another milestone of arguably their biggest record isn't out of the blue.

Disintegration - the track that is - probably in my five fave Cure songs, and it's the only one of that handful I've not caught live. Hopefully will do someday.

21 hours ago, Fishman said:

Follow the money ..... 

Paul McCartney 1/2       8/15
The Cure 4/6       4/7
Stormzy 8/11       6/4
Arctic Monkeys 11/4       11/4
Madonna 7/2       4/7
Fleetwood Mac 11/2       7/1
Kylie Minogue 11/2       7/1
Rihanna 6/1        13/2
Kendrick Lamar

13/2       3/1  

Yesterday and today's odds ....

Who is putting money on this .... and how much does it take for a big shift?

14 minutes ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

Still maintain that booking Madonna would have to be a hits job, given her rep for eschewing them. Surely she knows that?

As for The Cure, if they do crop up, I'd expect Disintegration in full, but not strictly in order or sequence. When I saw them in Hammersmith in 2014, they trotted out all of The Top, albeit scattered across the set, for its 30th anniversary; I'd think that celebrating another milestone of arguably their biggest record isn't out of the blue.

Disintegration - the track that is - probably in my five fave Cure songs, and it's the only one of that handful I've not caught live. Hopefully will do someday.

Madonna can only play hits, The Cure can play Closedown and Homesick, gotcha. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Winslow Leach said:

In all seriousness though, I'm pretty skeptical about Madonna even playing but if she does we really have no way of knowing what sort of set she'd play.

Yeah, there's really no precedent for it. If I was her though, I'd go back to Coachella for a proper main stage set as a festival debut.  Surely that's a better way to get a worldwide audience to remember she's still about?

Be good of they did a year of heritage acts this year then for the 50th cracked on with newer acts as a sort of toast to the future rather than an episode of looking back. Stormzy, Foals and Swifty with some heavy undercards to sell it. 

Won't happen but it's so much more fun an idea than the year of arguing about wether led zep and pink Floyd will do it that we're guaranteed to have.

3 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

An hour of KISS third down the Pyramid ala ZZ Top would be all kinds of fun.

Sadly I doubt they'd take anything below headliner and a whopping great fee.

They've played under headliners before (Donington 88) but that was in the no makeup days and the star had waned, still probably got a wheelbarrow full of cash for it.

1 hour ago, BlueDaze said:

A year after the fallow and the tickets are going to be gone in record time as people are gagging for it.. Lots of the good folk on here have talked about getting additional tickets (we have gone from 15 to possibly 21 this time round).

God, I hope this isn't true. It's bad enough normally. 

I actually had quite a few newbies saying they were interested, but actually most of them have already dropped off for whatever reason - "Do I have to decide now already?" "But we just got engaged!" Blah blah blah.... Our group is pretty much the same number as normal, but with some changes as so many of the original crew have had babies and think that somehow makes them unable to attend Glastonbury!

On the other side of the coin, I've heard a few old timers saying they're going to wait for 2020. So maybe that really is a thing!

42 minutes ago, priest17 said:

Be good of they did a year of heritage acts this year then for the 50th cracked on with newer acts as a sort of toast to the future rather than an episode of looking back. Stormzy, Foals and Swifty with some heavy undercards to sell it. 

Won't happen but it's so much more fun an idea than the year of arguing about wether led zep and pink Floyd will do it that we're guaranteed to have.

1975 instead of Foals and Ariana instead of T Swift for me but I like the idea

• Downvote 1

21 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

They've played under headliners before (Donington 88) but that was in the no makeup days and the star had waned, still probably got a wheelbarrow full of cash for it.

That was the awful year of the crush. Kiss were (are) shit too.

As it was in the good old days, you went with a load of mates, passed through the gates and didn't see them until the end. One of our group was in the GnR melee and woke up in the the medical tent (fortunately for him). I wasn't aware how serious it all was until an announcement was made as it finished.

http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/donington-1988.html 

1 hour ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

If she does play I can't wait for 'the lists' to start appearing with what she should include. 

Watched the rebel heart tour on amazon/Netflix not long ago, and don't necessarily think she needs to play just old hits. She'll have a new album so something from that sure to get an airing. As my clubbing days are well over I would love to know if her more recent stuff gets an airing in that environment, be it through re-mixes or whatever.

As long as she puts like a prayer in and leaves cherish at home I'll be happy. Even happier if Mr Timberlake joined her for  4 minutes! 

Edited by slash's hat

Thought The Cure seemed like a bit of an odd suggestion at first BUT can totally get on board with them doing a couple of Disintergration, 30th anniversary special mega gigs next Summer.

Wether playing one of them to a crowd that isn’t purely their own fans at the G figures into their plans who knows. 

2 hours ago, Winslow Leach said:

Madonna can only play hits, The Cure can play Closedown and Homesick, gotcha. 

:D  I did back myself into a little corner there, didn't I?

54 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Name one time in history when Madge has done anything other than whatever the fuck she feels like.

Point noted.

39 minutes ago, slash's hat said:

If she does play I can't wait for 'the lists' to start appearing with what she should include. 

Watched the rebel heart tour on amazon/Netflix not long ago, and don't necessarily think she needs to play just old hits. She'll have a new album so something from that sure to get an airing. As my clubbing days are well over I would love to know if her more recent stuff gets an airing in that environment, be it through re-mixes or whatever.

As long as she puts like a prayer in and leaves cherish at home I'll be happy. Even happier if Mr Timberlake joined her for  4 minutes! 

I went to the Rebel Heart gig in Manchester that can only be described as a hot mess, so I feel pretty soured by that whole experience unfortunately. Imagine that in full flight - and definitely with Like a Prayer - she'd be something special.

28 minutes ago, MichaelsBeard said:

Thought The Cure seemed like a bit of an odd suggestion at first BUT can totally get on board with them doing a couple of Disintergration, 30th anniversary special mega gigs next Summer.

Wether playing one of them to a crowd that isn’t purely their own fans at the G figures into their plans who knows. 

If they do play, I can’t imagine they’d do anything other than their best known songs

To be fair there's probably gonna be like 10 songs in their set that only fans know. Switching them out for some more Disintegration tracks probably wouldn't make a difference. Not that I expect them to do it.

Similar in a way to how Radiohead played all the OK Computer tracks that they had in rotation at Glasto last year.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, henry bear said:

But you can be aware of more than just the big hits without being a fan. I’m certainly not, but would probably know most of their set. I’d probably only recognise a few from Disintegration. 

Fair play, I wasn't around when they were in their peak but I assumed random album tracks like Push, A Night Like This, If Only Tonight We Could Sleep and Grinding Halt wouldn't be recognised by any more people in the crowd than random Disintegration tracks, especially as it's probably their biggest or second biggest album.

3 hours ago, Fishman said:

Yesterday and today's odds ....

Who is putting money on this .... and how much does it take for a big shift?

Really not much, and i wouldn't read into it either. 

There was a market on Betway the other day so i took a plunge. 

Got The Cure at 10/1 and Macca 4/1. 

£10 on each resulted in Macca going odds on and The Cure dropping to 2/1. Within minutes of me placing my bets. 

Note, the reason I backed these was due to @eFestivals post the other day, nothing else. Little bit of fun.