2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

Emily Eavis on Skype flicking the Vs to the Arctic Monkeys:

"Thanks but no thanks lads.  After last time we'd rather go with Stormzy"

I think more a chance that they fancy 2020. Irrespective of whether you like them or not, they are huge and will headline Glastonbury next year or 2020. 

Just now, gmb1992 said:

still feel quite recent to me, I suppose they've changed up their sound since then. 

Would just be a 6 year gap again like the last time (2007 - 2013)

4 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

Does anyone actually think Arctic Monkeys will headline?

Hard to say. Personally before the Macca and Cure rumours started I thought they would definitely be a shoe in but I can't imagine them headlining alongside Macca/The Cure. I'm a big fan of all three so there'd be no complaints here, would actually be the first time watching all 3 Pyramid headliners 

1 hour ago, Fishman said:

Me and @Gnomicide hiding in amongst that lot somewhere. I was definitely double-denimed up and hair to match the profile pic. 

I'd have been wearing my bikers leather jacket (though I've never ridden a motorbike in my life), G'n'R t-shirt, skin tight black stretch canvas trousers and massive steel toe-capped boots. I know that's what I would've been wearing because apart from the t-shirt, it never changed for 10 years. I mean, obviously the stuff got washed occasionally but still.

With those boots on and my skinny arsed self, it was almost impossible to push me over.  

Quite the catch.

7 minutes ago, henry bear said:

Has Stormzy done anything of note to warrant jumping from Other sub to Pyramid headliner?

His Brits performance grabbed headlines and he’s stayed in the public eye by appearing on Love Island and performing at awards shows and X Factor finals and whatnot. The expectation is that he’ll release another successful album between now and the summer.

Seems a massive risk at the moment from my POV, to promise their Saturday night to a rapper with one record and a handful of one-hour sets to his name but if there was a UK rapper that was gonna do it then it’d be him.

37 minutes ago, Winslow Leach said:

That is really not the answer I was expecting from you to be honest.

It's prompted by his instagram, but it feels like the sort of thing Emily would do to me - not just one of the bigger up-coming acts, but an English rapper when we've only had American rappers previously.

As he headlined the Other last time there's not really anywhere else for him to go. He could sub the Pyramid I guess, tho headline feels more-right to me.

(he should have another album out before then).

32 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

I think they're a decent bet despite what I've said about Stormzy. Ams are the no-brainer in many ways.

28 minutes ago, henry bear said:

Has Stormzy done anything of note to warrant jumping from Other sub to Pyramid headliner?

Not necessarily.

But he's gained in fame, and he'll have another album which the fest might have decided to take a punt with. 

It's his instragram that mostly has me thinking it's him.

I’d say there’s no doubting The 1975 are a big act, are they that big with Glastonbury’s crowd though? I was fairly  into the debut when it came out as were most of my mates but I was about 16 at the time. Most I know have grown out of them nowadays and aren’t particularly bothered by their new releases.

Kind of got the impression a large part of The 1975’s fan base is hyped up teens similar to Twenty One Pilots who are also pretty massive

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

As he headlined the Other last time there's not really anywhere else for him to go. He could sub the Pyramid I guess, tho headline feels more-right to me.

(he should have another album out before then).

Subbed the Other last time. Get what you're saying though, I think it will be him. 

11 minutes ago, Winslow Leach said:

That Brits performance showed that he can bring the #spectacle but unless he gets another album or even a few more songs out by next summer it'd be slim pickings for a headline setlist.

He still doing Shape Of You with his guest verse thrown on top it? :(

When you think about the comparisons to Mumford & Sons doing it; they had singles out the summer before and an album out the September prior. Where we are now with Stormzy is that he hasn’t even premiered new songs in his shows this summer and he was slow as hell getting that debut album out.

5 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Ahhh, my mistake.

Perhaps only sub on Pyramid then ... tho his instagram does suggest headline more than anything else.

Not necessarily though. He could’ve just seen or been shown that quote in the book or magazine and thought “I’ve played Glastonbury before so I should post this”. Don’t think it’s definitely a nod towards Glastonbury history and how he’s replicating it.

6 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Ahhh, my mistake.

Perhaps only sub on Pyramid then ... tho his instagram does suggest headline more than anything else.

I think it's Arctics and Stormzy has just bigger it up a bit. I can see why he'd get it but I just don't see him as enough to do it. Arctics playing 2020 will be well late on their tour.

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

Not necessarily though. He could’ve just seen or been shown that quote in the book or magazine and thought “I’ve played Glastonbury before so I should post this”. Don’t think it’s definitely a nod towards Glastonbury history and how he’s replicating it.

yep, it's perhaps that ... although if he was being signed up to headline, the timing of that instagram would be at around the right time.

And if they've got two old gits in the form of Cure and Macca, something for the youngsters seems to make a lot of sense.

6 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

yep, it's perhaps that ... although if he was being signed up to headline, the timing of that instagram would be at around the right time.

And if they've got two old gits in the form of Cure and Macca, something for the youngsters seems to make a lot of sense.

Maybe he was just reading Jay Z’s book (I looked it up just now) at that time. :P But I agree you’re not wrong to think it might be a nod at that time.

4 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

First grime headliner is a cultural moment and a line in the sand re. the festival's progressive and forward-looking credentials, in a way that booking the banjo-botherers was not.

Has the ship not sailed on getting a grime headliner, now that people have moved on from the subgenre? BBK last year could easily have been tantamount to giving the genre its due; I don’t think Stormzy headlining on an undoubtedly heavy departure from grime would be much of a trophy for the culture.

If Dizzee headlined in 2010 instead of Muse, you could have called it the same thing but would it be celebrated?

1 hour ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

Don't see a scenario where AM don't headline in 2019. Can't see any other realistic contenders, given who appear to have been pencilled in.

Stormzy headlining would be a landmark moment but it seems like *too* big a jump for me. A Pyramid sub slot seems more realistic, as many had predicted when he was booked in 2017.

14 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Arctics Monkeys attracts masses of young fans though and I think with two older acts people will want not only younger but wider appeal. I'd rather it was Stormzy as I could go elsehwere and see something on a different stage which I'm less likely to with Arctics.