Next Announcement 2017 Thread

Gnomicide

3 hours ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

it rained pretty heavily on Saturday (i think) in 2015 but i was back in trainers by late afternoon, because the ground wasn't already completely waterlogged so recovered very quickly. I also seem to remember the Wednesday of 2016 being a pretty nice day, and sadly I also remember being stuck in traffic for 12 hours that day, and I still didn't manage to get into the campervan fields until the following day because of the ground conditions caused by weather before not during the festival.

Pissed it down for a bit on the Friday in 2015. We had to stop in the Pussy Parlure en route to West Holts for Run the Jewels to wait for it to slow down a bit. Sun came straight out afterwards and I think it dried up fairly quickly.

Saturday night, too (which I assume you're talking about). After the headliners we were all sat back at camp waiting to meet someone before heading out. Started pissing it down and I went to meet said person. My friends said they were gonna go drink in their tents until I got back. When I got back every single one of them was passed out in bed.

And yeah it was roasting on the Wednesday last year. Stuck on a coach hungover beyond belief for 16 hours sweating my life away.

As has been said, the weather during last year's festival was fine. I'd happily take that again this year (minus the rain beforehand obvs). I remember the odd heavy shower (post-Skepta walk back to my tent springs to mind), but nothing awful.

55 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

Pissed it down for a bit on the Friday in 2015. We had to stop in the Pussy Parlure en route to West Holts for Run the Jewels to wait for it to slow down a bit. Sun came straight out afterwards and I think it dried up fairly quickly.

Saturday night, too (which I assume you're talking about). After the headliners we were all sat back at camp waiting to meet someone before heading out. Started pissing it down and I went to meet said person. My friends said they were gonna go drink in their tents until I got back. When I got back every single one of them was passed out in bed.

And yeah it was roasting on the Wednesday last year. Stuck on a coach hungover beyond belief for 16 hours sweating my life away.

As has been said, the weather during last year's festival was fine. I'd happily take that again this year (minus the rain beforehand obvs). I remember the odd heavy shower (post-Skepta walk back to my tent springs to mind), but nothing awful.

100% agree and that is essentially what I was trying to say, that I'd take last years weather during the festival again in a heartbeat, but obviously not the weather beforehand which is what did the damage. I was referring to the Friday but had my days mixed up, I remember it pouring down for a couple of hours but the ground was back to normal in no time so it wasn't really an issue. Essentially if the weather leading up to the festival is reasonably ok I'm not going to lose any sleep over any rain that may fall during it.

On Sat Mar 11 2017 at 11:37 AM, Jugtanion said:

Cue the conversations about the terror of a 2010 hot festival.

2010 was such a polarising year, people seem like best mates on here till either the weather or that gorillaz set are brought up. 

(For the record I loved that set and think that weather was amazing, fight me)

17 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

100% agree and that is essentially what I was trying to say, that I'd take last years weather during the festival again in a heartbeat, but obviously not the weather beforehand which is what did the damage. I was referring to the Friday but had my days mixed up, I remember it pouring down for a couple of hours but the ground was back to normal in no time so it wasn't really an issue. Essentially if the weather leading up to the festival is reasonably ok I'm not going to lose any sleep over any rain that may fall during it.

Were you there in 2005 or 2007? Those years had good weather in the lead up, but (particularly 2007) were disasters because of the rain that fell beforehand.

Of course rain in the run up can be enough to fuck things up by itself, but if it tips it down during the festival, you're still screwed, no matter what happened in the run up.

They're both important, but what falls during matters more, since we're all under it, getting rained on. In fact, even if you didn't care about getting wet, it still matters more under foot if the rain falls during the festival since people are there to tread all the water into the ground.

Rain before matters a lot, but rain during matters more, not less.

6 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Were you there in 2005 or 2007? Those years had good weather in the lead up, but (particularly 2007) were disasters because of the rain that fell beforehand.

Of course rain in the run up can be enough to fuck things up by itself, but if it tips it down during the festival, you're still screwed, no matter what happened in the run up.

They're both important, but what falls during matters more, since we're all under it, getting rained on. In fact, even if you didn't care about getting wet, it still matters more under foot if the rain falls during the festival since people are there to tread all the water into the ground.

Rain before matters a lot, but rain during matters more, not less.

Hmm I don't know, maybe I'm just scarred by last year but if the ground is relatively dry and not waterlogged, rain during is only really annoying when it happens, then when it finishes within a few hours the ground can be back to normal. Obviously if it's constant rain then you're fucked, but if it's say a 1-2 hour shower every day onto dry ground, it churns up a bit but also drys up very quickly too. I suppose it depends on what bothers you more, rain on your head during the festival, or less rain on your head during, but ground that is so waterlogged it's likely to be a swamp for the entire festival, aka last year.

11 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Hmm I don't know, maybe I'm just scarred by last year but if the ground is relatively dry and not waterlogged, rain during is only really annoying when it happens, then when it finishes within a few hours the ground can be back to normal. Obviously if it's constant rain then you're fucked, but if it's say a 1-2 hour shower every day onto dry ground, it churns up a bit but also drys up very quickly too. I suppose it depends on what bothers you more, rain on your head during the festival, or less rain on your head during, but ground that is so waterlogged it's likely to be a swamp for the entire festival, aka last year.

I hate having both! I may be scarred by 2007, which started off lovely, but ended up as the most hellish festival experience I've ever had.

Are you thinking 2014? I suppose you may have a point - if we'd had weather like the thunderstorm every day for 2 weeks, then dry weather during, it would probably have been worse under foot. The thing about the rain before is there is more time for it to add up.

It's getting to the point where we'd need to consult the weather records, but I suspect you're comparing a right good soaking in the  run-up to a few miserly showers during.

Which years are you thinking of?

Edited by stuartbert two hats
Added word 'during'

Last year the rain in the lead up was so bad that the ground was totally saturated and also had a load of surface water that had nowhere to go. Everyone walking on and pulling their trolleys etc. through this mud/water tore the ground up horrifically and turned it into a sticky nightmare. Even when the weather during the festival was nice the ground was such a sticky mudbath that it didn't matter, and the rain was so mixed into the ground that it couldn't really dry up due to evaporation. Then when more rain fell the ground was still saturated so again it sat on top and resulted in an even more churned up, sticky mess when walked on.

In a normal year without that rainfall in the lead up, the ground doesn't instantly turn to shit on the Wednesday, and when rain falls during the weekend, some of it can soak into the ground without awful consequences, and the rain that sits on the surface is sitting on solid ground from which it can evaporate, as opposed to being instantly mixed into the already muddy ground and making it worse.

This is how I see it logically, anyway. Someone with more knowledge of weather/ground conditions may be able to correct me.

For these reasons I agree that rainfall leading up to the festival is a bigger danger, unless we get horrific weather during.

9 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

Last year the rain in the lead up was so bad that the ground was totally saturated and also had a load of surface water that had nowhere to go. Everyone walking on and pulling their trolleys etc. through this mud/water tore the ground up horrifically and turned it into a sticky nightmare. Even when the weather during the festival was nice the ground was such a sticky mudbath that it didn't matter, and the rain was so mixed into the ground that it couldn't really dry up due to evaporation. Then when more rain fell the ground was still saturated so again it sat on top and resulted in an even more churned up, sticky mess when walked on.

In a normal year without that rainfall in the lead up, the ground doesn't instantly turn to shit on the Wednesday, and when rain falls during the weekend, some of it can soak into the ground without awful consequences, and the rain that sits on the surface is sitting on solid ground from which it can evaporate, as opposed to being instantly mixed into the already muddy ground and making it worse.

This is how I see it logically, anyway. Someone with more knowledge of weather/ground conditions may be able to correct me.

For these reasons I agree that rainfall leading up to the festival is a bigger danger, unless we get horrific weather during.

But last year was horrific in the build up, worse than 2007, but the festival experience was nowhere near as badly affected by the rain as 2007.

1 minute ago, JoeyT said:

Ran a half marathon this morning and it didn't rain. 4 miles in it occurred to me I'd accept monsoon conditions for the rest of the race if it meant we had a dry festival (including the site build) 

Ah. Weather karma bargaining.

(Did you run in the right direction? ;-) )

17 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

Was 2007 not "horrific weather during"?

Oh yeah :), but even that hell wasn't  a as torrential as the days before 2016. Or at least that's how it seemed at the time. It fucked lashed it down for hours and hours. 2007 'only' had heavy showers every day that stopped in the evening until the drizzle into heavy rain on the Sunday/Monday.

Of course, I wasn't on site last year, I was sat in front of a computer commenting on here, so maybe it just seemed worse than it was. @Sawdusty Surfer was though and I'm pretty sure he was around in 2007 too - hopefully he can chip in on whether the setup last year had more rain than 2007 once the gates had opened?

But even if 2007 was the same, that doesn't change my central assertion - given an equal amount of rain, it's worse to fall during the festival than before.

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Oh yeah :), but even that hell wasn't  a as torrential as the days before 2016. Or at least that's how it seemed at the time. It fucked lashed it down for hours and hours. 2007 'only' had heavy showers every day that stopped in the evening until the drizzle into heavy rain on the Sunday/Monday.

Of course, I wasn't on site last year, I was sat in front of a computer commenting on here, so maybe it just seemed worse than it was. @Sawdusty Surfer was though and I'm pretty sure he was around in 2007 too - hopefully he can chip in on whether the setup last year had more rain than 2007 once the gates had opened?

But even if 2007 was the same, that doesn't change my central assertion - given an equal amount of rain, it's worse to fall during the festival than before.

I did both 2007 and 2016. I found 2016 way worse.

2007 was certainly a wet year but I coped well with it. It wasn't a fucking nightmare trying to walk anywhere.

2016 was dryer, but the mud was sticky - you couldn't just power walk through it, it would come up nearly to your knees either side of the metal trackways. Some food stands were completely inaccessible. I found it a massive pain in the arse.