Self Confirmed 2017

the wonderwhy

2 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

I don't think I've ever knowingly heard anything by him. Know the name but that's it, intrigued now, where's a man to start?

For the sort if stuff he's doing now? Try Blues Funeral, Phantom Radio or (my favourite) Bubblegum. There's an anthology of earlier stuff, something about God and Shadows, can't remember the exact title. Any of those will give you a flavour of what he's about.

Edited by Mardy

19 hours ago, Will-2609 said:

Assumed this was a !!! self-confirmation until the tweet loaded but aye that's good. Can make up for seeing BFMV over him at Leeds 2012, 5 years on. John Peel?

You missed a treat!!

11 hours ago, ogriff said:

Sadly he isn't one for looking back. I don't think he ever plays Screaming Trees stuff.

I've seen him a few times and never heard him play any trees stuff. 

4 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

I don't think I've ever knowingly heard anything by him. Know the name but that's it, intrigued now, where's a man to start?

Can't go wrong with any screaming trees stuff but as said above he never seems to play it. Bubblegum is my favourite of his solo stuff though, absolutely cracking album.

Just now, justperfect said:

Cabbage have "liked" a comment I made regarding a Glastonbury appearance on their facebook page, its the only reply the band have acknowledged,  im taking this as a self confirmation and predict a mid afternoon slot in the JP with an unannounced set at the BBC introducing.

Honestly! Why would anyone want these at their festival?!

2 hours ago, justperfect said:

Cabbage have "liked" a comment I made regarding a Glastonbury appearance on their facebook page, its the only reply the band have acknowledged,  im taking this as a self confirmation and predict a mid afternoon slot in the JP with an unannounced set at the BBC introducing.

i.e. Circa Waves v2.0

:)

Ben

Edited by bennyhana22

12 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Halfway through that Whiskey for the holy ghost album that @The Nal posted earlier. If @Mardy's bubble gum is even half as good, then I hope he headlines Acoustic one night. 

Him on Sat, Lips on JP on Sunday then I'd even consider giving Thom a try on the Friday.

He's playing Friday so no headline slots no sir.

16 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Oh aye I'd forgotten that. I'd still pick that but it would mean I would probably be solo. 

Where else do people put him if not there. Early pyramid. Evening Park?

He'll be middle of the pack on Other or JP, I reckon. 

Could do evening Park but that'd be annoying i'd likely be at the Pyramid then. 

46 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Halfway through that Whiskey for the holy ghost album that @The Nal posted earlier. If @Mardy's bubble gum is even half as good, then I hope he headlines Acoustic one night. 

Bubblegum is superb. QOTSA and PJ Harvey are on it. A couple of his best tunes are on there. Homme is on the new album too. 

Maybe check out Field Songs after that. One Way Street, No Easy Action and Resurrection Song are standards in his sets. Cracking album. 

30 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Where else do people put him if not there. Early pyramid. Evening Park?

Depends on the band he has with him. "The Mark Lanegan Band" usually means a full band though. Last tour was acoustic sort of. Think the last time I saw him with a full band was the Bubblegum tour. 

Hopefully not The Park though. Its a bit grim up there after dark. 

I also can't overstate how good the Whiskey for the Holy Ghost re-release sounds on vinyl. Especially when drinking whiskey. 

Edited by The Nal

29 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Trouble with low down JP, they tend to only get 40-45 mins. Would rather an hour at the park - or better still, an hour on the pyramid just before Iggy, as Black hole says, but can't see that.

I assume Black Hole meant on the JP before Iggy plays Pyramid, since he was replying to a post asking if he'd be sub or lower on JP. Not a chance Mark Lanegan plays 4th down the Pyramid Stage... (I'm assuming Iggy would be 3rd)

I switched off at Bubblegum for some reason.  it just didn't do it for me so I gently closed the door to my Lanegan room and haven't peeped in since. I second Field Songs as a high point but also his covers album I'll Take Care of You which blew me away when I got it, esp coming after (s)craps at midnight. 

Edited by Fingerbobs