Headliner predictions 2017

swede

10 minutes ago, eastynh said:

I am a bit of a closet Gaga fan, Stick her on when Radiohead are on and I will be a happy chappy.

She is still far far bigger than the Roses or Florence though. it would be a coup to get her there in a none headline spot.

You're right - it would definitely be a huge booking if she subbed Pyramid/headlined the Other. She's in that weird spot though where I don't see her as a headliner, but it would be a massive booking none the less!

Edited by jparx

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, eastynh said:

I am a bit of a closet Gaga fan, Stick her on when Radiohead are on and I will be a happy chappy.

She is still far far bigger than the Roses or Florence though. it would be a coup to get her there in a none headline spot.

she may be a bigger worldwide superstar than the Roses, but in terms of headlining Glastonbury, especially as it will've been twenty two years since it was first supposed to happen, the Roses win every time

Yeah I'm in the 'people are underestimating her' camp. She literally was the biggest pop star on the planet less than 5 years ago. She has been off doing other projects that she has wanted to do in the last couple of years (American Horror Story & Bennett collab) - so is not failing to produce commercially successful pop albums.   

As someone mentioned she is odds on to play the Super Bowl this season - Not many acts that play that on their own aren't considered festival headliners around the globe. 

3 minutes ago, addicted2noise said:

I'm probably in the minority but if their new album does well and other candidates aren't touring (mainly Daft Punk and Sheeran) I still think The XX deserve a shot at headlining.      

i think their long absence has put a halt on them climbing up the lineup too fast. reckon they could easily sub the Pyramid next year, but for the sake of their light show etc Other headliner would probably be the best slot for them. out of the three headliners - Radiohead, Sheeran and Roses, i'd probably have em against the Roses, but guess it depends who the other Other headliners are (Major Lazer vs Radiohead, ? vs Sheeran)

1 minute ago, Andy0808 v5 said:

Why did I have to come back to the site so soon after seeing Daft Punk, Radiohead and Stone Roses being lined up?!

Damn you Gaga.

although i'm not gonna write off Neil's info entirely, i think the Daft Punk think can be put on the backburner for now (or at least until Coachella info starts leaking through). still sticking with Radiohead, Sheeran, Roses, in that order. Gaga may appear as an unannounced special guest or something but i just can't see her headlining

Isn't one of the factors the festival's push to have female artists high up the line up, hence why I suggested Lady GaGa before, simply there's not too many mega selling women who could possibly headline (Rhiannon, Beyonce, Madonna, Taylor Swift maybe...) so since Flo and Adele have been seen to be successful in the last two years, and with LG having a new album out, she must fit the bill.

I'm not advocating her, but she must be 'big enough' to headline when her sales beat many previous headliners, her shows are spectacular, and they'll want a female headliner if they can possibly get one.

For sure she hasn't produced great music for some time, but that's hardly stopped many headliners in the past...

10 hours ago, Richi1988 said:

Would love the XX in whatever slot. One of the few remaining 'I really need to see' acts. That rumour has probably confided me to trying to get tickets whilst sitting on the pot!

Listened to a couple of The XX songs on the way between Cat Power (park) and Phoenix (John Peel) 2013, and the bass was so sick, even 300 meter from the stage I felt it in my entire body. Regret not seeing them, but thought it was enough to catch the "secret set" at BBC introducing

31 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Isn't one of the factors the festival's push to have female artists high up the line up, hence why I suggested Lady GaGa before, simply there's not too many mega selling women who could possibly headline (Rhiannon, Beyonce, Madonna, Taylor Swift maybe...) so since Flo and Adele have been seen to be successful in the last two years, and with LG having a new album out, she must fit the bill.

I'm not advocating her, but she must be 'big enough' to headline when her sales beat many previous headliners, her shows are spectacular, and they'll want a female headliner if they can possibly get one.

For sure she hasn't produced great music for some time, but that's hardly stopped many headliners in the past...

I remember in 2015 I was standing patiently waiting to see who was replacing Florence & The Machine's slot, convinced it was gonna be Taylor Swift cause there was a gap in her UK tour haha. Then The Libertines appeared...I shuffled away.

18 minutes ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

I remember in 2015 I was standing patiently waiting to see who was replacing Florence & The Machine's slot, convinced it was gonna be Taylor Swift cause there was a gap in her UK tour haha. Then The Libertines appeared...I shuffled away.

It still surprises me when people say they didnt know who was the replacement until they walked on stage. Everyone knew by about midday in our area of the campsites.

27 minutes ago, mjsell said:

It still surprises me when people say they didnt know who was the replacement until they walked on stage. Everyone knew by about midday in our area of the campsites.

SecretGlasto (I.e me that year) didn't even know until just after midday.  I'd heard conjecture about it that morning, when @eFestivals tweeted about it definitely being them, shortly followed by the Instagram post and the SecretGlasto tweet.

1 hour ago, mjsell said:

i didn't know until the following day, until which i was under the allusion that it was some unsigned punk band, the result of a wonderful yarn spun to me (or, more likely the person who told me) on the friday evening and which i had no inclination to question!

Edited by fatyeti24

48 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

SecretGlasto (I.e me that year) didn't even know until just after midday.  I'd heard conjecture about it that morning, when @eFestivals tweeted about it definitely being them, shortly followed by the Instagram post and the SecretGlasto tweet.

I mean your texts definitely helped. When I say 'about midday' I mean that in the loosest sense - it was at some point when the sun was high in the sky.

Whether we were just camped near a load of people that had secret glasto set up I dont know but there was definitely the chatter of Libertines for quite a while before i looked at my phone to have it confirmed by you.

I'm sure it was posted somewhere but NME are suggesting Daft Punk and Lady Gaga have been approached to play/headline Glastonbury and they are intelligently guessing that Kraftwerk and Stone Roses will also be there based on their announced tour dates.

Nevermind it's right above!

Edited by siweltrebor