Headliner predictions 2017

swede

20 hours ago, eastynh said:

Depeche Mode have called a press conference for the 11th of next month, in Milan. Hopefully it is details of new album and tour.

They really do launch their albums with a touch of class. Will probably be exactly the same questions though that were asked at the Delta Machine one in Paris.

Did not really expect any news till next year so this is a bonus.

It'll be big. I mean, just look at their countdown...

http://www.depechemode.com/category/glastonbury-2017/

:ninja:

Did they roll out the album news and tour dates at the same time last time?

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, thewayiam said:

So is Elbow, RB and Gaga thought of as the 3 potential subs?

Can't be fucking Elbow again. It would seem weird for them to release a new album and not be at Glastonbury, but id rather they didn't clog up the top of the Pyramid lineup again as a de-facto sub to the more 'alternative' headliner

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

It'll be big. I mean, just look at their countdown...

http://www.depechemode.com/category/glastonbury-2017/

:ninja:

Did they roll out the album news and tour dates at the same time last time?

No mate I don't think they did. It  was all pretty generic if I remember correctly. Predictable questions and answers. Sure they just said that there would be a tour to support it. 

Would be nice if they announced themselves for glasto though, the day after all the tickets sold out, even if it is just a pipe dream.

Edited by eastynh

36 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Can't be fucking Elbow again. It would seem weird for them to release a new album and not be at Glastonbury, but id rather they didn't clog up the top of the Pyramid lineup again as a de-facto sub to the more 'alternative' headliner

It's true, but as you say it would be strange for it not to be. Other headline would at least change it up.

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

Do you think Elbow could be dropped a position or two? They don't seem the sort of band that would be too proud, the venues they are playing on this tour are a lot smaller and the last album wasn't as commercially successful as the last 2 (I think, I've not checked figures). I also get the impression that they love the festival so may just want to play it without being fussy when?

I do think they're an ideal sunset band though.

1 minute ago, Tommy101 said:

Do you think Elbow could be dropped a position or two? They don't seem the sort of band that would be too proud, the venues they are playing on this tour are a lot smaller and the last album wasn't as commercially successful as the last 2 (I think, I've not checked figures). I also get the impression that they love the festival so may just want to play it without being fussy when?

they may not be riding on the success of One Day Like This quite so much anymore but i don't see them dropping down lineups either, especially not at Glastonbury where they're still a bit of a house band as much as Chemical Brothers or Coldplay are. not sure where that leaves them really but returning to sub just three years later would be a bit shit (again). hopefully they just give it a miss this time 'round and they can come back next time

11 minutes ago, Tommy101 said:

I think they might drop a little.  Not sure where to though, maybe headlining JP.  I can't see them headlining the Other or W Holts,  they seem too chilled.

Just now, stuartbert two hats said:

I think they might drop a little.  Not sure where to though, maybe headlining JP.  I can't see them headlining the Other or W Holts,  they seem too chilled.

nah don't seem a good fit for Other and especially not WH for obvious reasons, but JP seems quite a drop from Pyramid sub, although i hope you're right. they seem like far too much of an obvious sub for Radiohead

50 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

If Sigur Ros (and....um...Jake Bugg) headlined the new JPT this year, Elbow don't feel a million miles away from that sort of scale.

Particlarly as they seemingly bored the arse off of everyone last time around.

As much I love this post.. (it is 1000% correct) - they are "Friends of the festival". In the same way Lily Allen got a go on the Pyramid a few years ago when it was hardly on merit. They will definitely be in the Pyramid. Only other thing could possibly be an Other stage headline IMO.

Elbow bore me to death. I don't get them at all.

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

2 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

nah don't seem a good fit for Other and especially not WH for obvious reasons, but JP seems quite a drop from Pyramid sub, although i hope you're right. they seem like far too much of an obvious sub for Radiohead

Does seem a bit drop. Maybe just 3rd from top on Pyramid then?

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Does seem a bit drop. Maybe just 3rd from top on Pyramid then?

it'd still be a wasted slot but i'd be far happier with it. something special about the sub slot - the whole lead up to the headliner etc. third is basically just another slot to fill, and Elbow would be just another medicore (imo, of course) band to fill it

2 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

it'd still be a wasted slot but i'd be far happier with it. something special about the sub slot - the whole lead up to the headliner etc. third is basically just another slot to fill, and Elbow would be just another medicore (imo, of course) band to fill it

I agree with this but, look at Beck this year. He was wasted in the sub slot. He was a perfect sub headliner for me - the crowd were the problem. 

They're an obvious sub but they would be fine before any of the realistic headliners. I think before the Roses would work okay.

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

They're an obvious sub but they would be fine before any of the realistic headliners. I think before the Roses would work okay.

they would, but again, what's the point? twice now they've subbed, playing a bunch of songs nobody cares much for + One Day Like This to finish things off and make people forget everything that came before was a whole load of nothing. no need for a third time, but unfortunately they probably will be booked (although in my mind right now Royal Blood are subbing the Roses as it seems the most appropriate place for them if they're not a R/L exclusive or something)

I've been thinking/hoping Nick Cave is the obvious sub for Radiohead, or am I just completely deluded? :P

1 minute ago, jparx said:

I've been thinking/hoping Nick Cave is the obvious sub for Radiohead, or am I just completely deluded? :P

was hoping for that too before the release of the new album but now that i've heard it i can't see him doing the likes of Glastonbury on this tour, if any festivals at all - all a bit sombre and downbeat. a Radiohead crowd would of course be a far better crowd for him to play to/warm up than the two that he's done in previous years, but i still don't see it happening

2 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

As much I love this post.. (it is 1000% correct) - they are "Friends of the festival". In the same way Lily Allen got a go on the Pyramid a few years ago when it was hardly on merit. They will definitely be in the Pyramid. Only other thing could possibly be an Other stage headline IMO.

Elbow bore me to death. I don't get them at all.

That's because they are incredibly boring. Be fair to Lily, she had previous tour dates etc to back up a 3rd down Pyramid....more so than what this tour for Elbow has....not as many dates I admit. 

The problem is they did exactly the same slot (sunset both times) and there isn't much to them.

I think they could do Other sub myself. 

3 minutes ago, theDandy said:

The Strokes to sub The Stone Roses, Bon Iver to sub Radiohead, Lady Gaga to sub Ed Sheeran? 

don't think The Strokes would take a sub slot, especially not for what Glastonbury would offer them. if they're gonna play anywhere next year then Reading/Leeds or possible IOW if it goes ahead seem the best bets (as a headliner)

still disagree with Gaga taking sub as well but i guess we shall have to wait and see on that one