Headliner predictions 2017

swede

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been to 07, 10, 11, 13, 14 and 15 and Gorillaz remain the only pyramid headliner I've seen, so 1 out of 18. I loved them but know deep down that I should have beem at Flaming Lips. Have seen them 3 times since and never had opportunity to see Gorillaz again though so don't regret it. There's very little that could prevent me from being at Radiohead this year.

15 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

A good Pyramid headliner is a thing of beauty. The Stones in 13 remains my favourite live music experience ever.

I get the whole "oh great, now I can spend more time elsewhere" argument but I've really missed not having one for the last two festivals. 

Yeah agreed - when they're good, there's not a musical experience that can beat a Pyramid headliner.

12 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Seen loads of Pyramid headliners over the years, there's no better place to watch a major act.

04 - Oasis, McCartney, Muse (two great, Oasis piss poor)

05 - Killers (they were shite)

07 - Arctic Monkeys, The Who (both average)

09 - Blur (best headline set i've seen on that stage)

10 - Gorillaz, Stevie Wonder (Gorillaz bad, Wonder great)

11 - U2 (hated them), Coldplay (meh), Beyonce (watched a bit then went to QOTSA)

13 - Arctics, Stones, Mumfords (loved the first two, hated Mumfords)

14 - Arcade Fire (good), Kasabian (almost as bad as Oasis)

15 - The Who (why did i do that to myself?)

16 - Muse (see above), Adele (ace!), Coldplay (the bands looked cool)

That's 20.5 out of a possible 30. I may as well just buy a camping chair and blanket and have done with it.

Please confirm/expand on your comments for Beyonce 2011, The Who 2015, Muse 2016, Coldplay 2016 - in the form of 'good', 'average', 'poor' responses so that I can complete the statistical analysis of your pyramid headliner success rate

:rolleyes:

54 minutes ago, mjsell said:

I need to get friends with better music tastes

Just do what I've done and don't have any at all! :lol:

2009 - Springsteen (amazing), Blur (amazing). Fri night was Bloc Party. Just...don't.

2010 - Gorillaz (nope), Muse (OK but I missed Pet Shop Boys like a tit). Closed with Levellers. Musicgasm,

2013 - Rolling Stones (amazing), Mumford (boooo). Fri night was about half of Chic then off to SEC.

2015 - None. Rudimental and the end of Lamb, Suede and Chems.

2016 - Coldplay (amazing). Fri was Disclosure (fell asleep), Sat was New Order.

Edited for the benefit of @mjsell's statistical analysis. Overall I've had a good time at the Pyramid.

Edited by Quark

2011 - None (Primal Scream, Chemical Brothers, The Streets)

2013 - Arctic Monkeys, The Rolling Stones, Mumford & Sons (GF dragged me there - DREADFUL)

2015 - The Who (Super Furry Animals, Suede)

2016 - None (Underworld, New Order, LCD)

Only regret is putting myself through Mumford. Awful.  

1 minute ago, mjsell said:

Please confirm/expand on your comments for Beyonce 2011, The Who 2015, Muse 2016, Coldplay 2016 - in the form of 'good', 'average', 'poor' responses so that I can complete the statistical analysis of your pyramid headliner success rate

:rolleyes:

Bey - Average (would be good but I only saw half so don't feel I can say good)

Who 15 - Poor (boring)

Muse 16 - Poor

Coldplay 16 - Average

I tend to naturally gravitate to the Pyramid if there's nothing on I fancy elsewhere.

2 minutes ago, Quark said:

Just do what I've done and don't have any at all! :lol:

It's more or less a certainty that I'll be on my jack come Dave Grohls' Amateur Athletics Hour.

9 minutes ago, Untz said:

Nah, it's all about the triceratops. Easier to sleep on when you're too wrecked to remove the costume before bed.

Pterodactyl costume allows you to stalk around the place flapping your wings at people and nibbling the back of their necks from about 4 feet away.

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

Bey - Average (would be good but I only saw half so don't feel I can say good)

Who 15 - Poor (boring)

Muse 16 - Poor

Coldplay 16 - Average

I tend to naturally gravitate to the Pyramid if there's nothing on I fancy elsewhere.

From 20.5 pyramid headline sets you have had equally 39% positive experiences  and 39% negative experiences with the remaining 22% of the time being fairly average.

But im sure from a personal perpective the highs far exceed the lows :D

Last year I seen Muse and Coldplay but the best decision I ever made was to leave Adele after 30 minutes or so (whenever I'd heard the Bond song be played) and head over to Arcadia to be underneath the spider for the metamorphosis show. Has to be one of the best/crazy things I've ever seen, not least when one of the actors pulled a stooge out of the crowd who was standing near me and my mate and we absolutely shit ourselves. I'd had too much vodka by that point. Made for a fucking great show though!

3 minutes ago, mjsell said:

From 20.5 pyramid headline sets you have had equally 39% positive experiences  and 39% negative experiences with the remaining 22% of the time being fairly average.

But im sure from a personal perpective the highs far exceed the lows :D

I'll take that.

Only Oasis, U2 and Kasabian were proper lows.

McCartney, Muse (04), Blur (09), Arctics (13), Stones and Adele were massive highs.

Edited by Hugh Jass

3 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

Last year I seen Muse and Coldplay but the best decision I ever made was to leave Adele after 30 minutes or so (whenever I'd heard the Bond song be played) and head over to Arcadia to be underneath the spider for the metamorphosis show. Has to be one of the best/crazy things I've ever seen, not least when one of the actors pulled a stooge out of the crowd who was standing near me and my mate and we absolutely shit ourselves. I'd had too much vodka by that point. Made for a fucking great show though!

Loved that show, hope for something lot different this year though.

Edited by wozwebs

I hope to get to see a new Arcadia show this year providing I get tickets in the resale. If I do manage to get lucky then I want to see Radiohead out of the 3 Pyramid headliners. Give Sheeran or the Foos a miss and go to Arcadia one night and hopefully a decent WH/Park headliner another night. Here's hoping I get to the promised land.

2017 Plans

Fri - RADIOHEAD

Saturday -  Anything but ed..... Hopefully A tribe called quest or The flaming lips

Sunday -  Hopefully A tribe called quest or The flaming lips. Most of the people I am with will want to see the Foo Fighters. I am not bothered by them. If there is no one else, I'll see them. Hopefully not though.

I think  I'll be going against the grain by saying my 2017 plan will be to avoid Radiohead and see Ed. As for the Foo's, they're ok enough for me to be happy with them if there's nothing else on at the time that takes my fancy. 

My biggest regret of last year was feeling like I had to end the weekend at Pyramid, so stood through Coldplay until I convinced my friend that I was leaving with or without her. I so wish I had been at LCD.

I think I've seen one headliner each year I've been now....

2010 - Dance Village for someone - Muse - Oribtal

2011 - Worked - Chemical Brothers - Beyonce

2013 - Portishead - Rolling Stones (left after an hour as I was bored) - the xx

2015 - Hot Chop - Kanye West - Chemical Brothers

For this year I will go and see Radiohead and if it's the Foos and Ed Sheeran I will be avoiding them like the plague

1 hour ago, Wooderson said:

I'm Coming Out
Baby Love
Stop! In the Name of Love
Come See About Me
You Can't Hurry Love
Love Child
Upside Down
Love Hangover
Why Do Fools Fall in Love
Do You Know Where You're Going To
Ain't No Mountain High Enough
I Will Survive

I hope he sings My Old Piano as it is one of my faves.

1 hour ago, Wooderson said:

I'm Coming Out
Baby Love
Stop! In the Name of Love
Come See About Me
You Can't Hurry Love
Love Child
Upside Down
Love Hangover
Why Do Fools Fall in Love
Do You Know Where You're Going To
Ain't No Mountain High Enough
I Will Survive

If she doesnt do "you keep me hanging on" - I will be gutted. 

My favourite supremes / diana ross tune.