Headliner predictions 2017

swede

19 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

1.) Stevie hadn't done her vocals in September, no-one knows if she has done them yet or not.

2.) Christine specifically said that they're planning a world tour for this summer.

3.) Stevie's tour goes until April 6th. After that she only has one single date, which is the Hyde Park one in July.

the tour probably won't start until later in the Summer given that Stevie has that solo gig, but I certainly wouldn't say they're ruled out at all. the album will presumably be finished and quite probably released by the end of June.

having said that, it's almost certainly Ed and Foos, so it's really a moot point...

What exactly did Christine say? I remember a response from her when questioned that theoretically FM could tour without SN if she wasn't available. I've not seen any quote about definitively a work tour this summer. And I'd be surprised if there aren't more SN gigs between April and July. In October SN stated FM would tour again, 'in about 18 months', which would rule out 2017. And in December she added that she'd not been involved in any FM recording and was reluctant to do so.

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, play it cool said:

What exactly did Christine say? I remember a response from her when questioned that theoretically FM could tour without SN if she wasn't available. I've not seen any quote about definitively a work tour this summer. And I'd be surprised if there aren't more SN gigs between April and July. In October SN stated FM would tour again, 'in about 18 months', which would rule out 2017. And in December she added that she'd not been involved in any FM recording and was reluctant to do so.

Let’s talk about the new album.

I love every single track we’ve done, bar none. This's something to me that is really special. Stevie hasn’t come in on it yet because she’s been busy doing something else. Last year, I was in there with Mick and Lindsey and John – John’s healing very nicely now – and nearly completed seven tracks and they’re magic. Seriously, no padding! I’m going to go over again in October to work on it. Stevie’s on tour but we’ve got until next year to finish it because we’re planning a world tour again, for the summer of '17. I don’t know if I’m privy to give song titles yet, but Lindsey and I have practically co-written everything. Getting the band all together is like herding sheep: to get all five of us in a room is nigh-on impossible. And then somebody will wander out. But it does happen.

23 hours ago, thewayiam said:

It didn't have a question mark on it.

I was going to say that the sentence didn't make any sense, but it seems opinion is divided on whether rhetorical questions require a question mark, with more saying ending with a full stop is ok:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhetorical_question#Punctuation

http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/12760/should-rhetorical-questions-end-with-a-period

Yes, I'm avoiding starting work after Christmas ;)

6 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I was going to say that the sentence didn't make any sense, but it seems opinion is divided on whether rhetorical questions require a question mark, with more saying ending with a full stop is ok:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhetorical_question#Punctuation

http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/12760/should-rhetorical-questions-end-with-a-period

Yes, I'm avoiding starting work after Christmas ;)

First day back? I've lost any ability to function today. It's not even 11 and I've given up achieving anything of note today.

18 hours ago, addicted2noise said:

Yeah good point, maybe he likes writing with other songwriters but apart from Adele, Beyonce and Florence I can't think of many recent headliners who operate in the same way (although it's definitely getting to be more common for major label artists). It just takes away too much of the authenticity for me but given how successful those acts are I'm probably in the minority.    

Most of the headliners have been bands, 

In fact, the exception here as far as I can tell is Muse, where Matt Bellamy does the vast majority of the writing.  Co-written songs have been the norm rather than the exception recently.  Oh, and The Who. 

Writing credits are very hard to judge the songwriting process from.  I remember reading the inlay cards to a Buddy Holly album, thinking that someone called "Petty" appeared to be the main creative force behind The Crickets, until I later found out that he was only the engineer and manager and actually didn't write the songs.  You could also look at Outside by Bowie and conclude that he was chipping in a few words to the proper musicians in order to claim a writing credit.  The reality, of course was that he was very much in control, orchestrating the entire process, as well as writing virtually (if not all) of the lyrics and most of the vocal melody.  And don't forget The Spice Girls; from looking at their credits you could surmise they had created some fairly fully realised songs, before passing onto their songwriters to add some finesse.  Or perhaps, they did the old  "change a word, get a third" trick, because they were in a position to get songwriters to give up some of their royalties, in the knowledge that a Spice Girls song would sell a lot more than 3x than the same song recorded by nobodies.

Finally, take a look at the writing credits for The Beach Boys.  It looks as if this "B.Wilson" chap could barely string a few words together without the help of some proper songwriters outside the band to do most of the work! (ok, this one has a bit of a hint to the true balance of work with the producers credit)

The point is, you can look at the credits as much as you like, and unless you see arrangement or production credits, it's very hard to get a real handle on who is actually doing the work.

16 minutes ago, mjsell said:

First day back? I've lost any ability to function today. It's not even 11 and I've given up achieving anything of note today.

Sort of.  I 'work' for myself, so I'm not officially back today, although I am going to be at my desk.  I'll do some work when I feel like it, whenever that is!

On 1/2/2017 at 0:06 PM, Scruffylovemonster said:

Well that's bad grammar. You can't use the words 'isn't it' without a question mark. You still wrote a question. You just used incorrect punctuation. 

If you weren't asking a question you should've written 'it's' not 'isn't it.'

I can and I did! :P

Oh hang on, I've thought of another straw to clutch...

We don't know what the apostrophe in "Jeff Lynne's" .  We've been assuming it's the archaic contraction of his  - "Jeff Lynne His ELO", I.e. the possessive, but what if it actually meant "Jeff Lynne IS ELO"?? So Jeff Lynne is the band, meaning it's Jeff Lynne who is playing???

That totally makes sense.

56 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Oh hang on, I've thought of another straw to clutch...

We don't know what the apostrophe in "Jeff Lynne's" .  We've been assuming it's the archaic contraction of his  - "Jeff Lynne His ELO", I.e. the possessive, but what if it actually meant "Jeff Lynne IS ELO"?? So Jeff Lynne is the band, meaning it's Jeff Lynne who is playing???

That totally makes sense.

Nah, he played last year