Headliner predictions 2017

swede

8 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

LCD/Chems on the Other and Underworld/Mothership at WH were great alternatives

Still annoyed with myself for not leaving Kanye for Mothership - made up for it slightly with my Chems over the Who choice the next day. Still.. having only been 1 year and to have seen 1 pyramid headliner... and that headliner was Kanye.. makes me angry.

I need to get a bloody ticket to fix this.

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My fests....

2009 - Neil Young

2010 - The Gorillaz (why?!) - Muse - Stevie Wonder

2011 - U2

2013 - Missed out on a ticket

2014 - Arcade Fire - Metallica - Kasabian

2015 - No Pyramid headliner

2016 - No Pyramid Headliner

Gorillaz were shit, Kasabian were ok. The rest I have really enjoyed

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

was just thinking the last Pyramid headliner I saw was the Stones in 2013. I didn't get a ticket following year or I'd have been at AF and Metallica out of the 3. 2015 didn't appeal and last year the only one I was planning was Muse until Sigur Ros got announced. If it sticks at RH, Foos, Ginger Pubes then I will definitely give GP a miss, might see Foos depending on clashes and will def go see RH.

Here's hoping for a volunteer place or luck in the resales :)

1 minute ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

My fests....

2009 - Neil Young Springsteen

2010 - The Gorillaz (why?!) - Muse - Stevie Wonder snap

2011 - U2 snap

2013 - Missed out on a ticket Stones

2014 - Arcade Fire - Metallica - Kasabian No ticket

2015 - No Pyramid headliner Snap

2016 - No Pyramid Headliner snap

was just about to do my list so figured I would hijack yours as we seem to have been to the same festivals pretty much, at least both started off in 2009. Mine are in bold. Although I enjoyed Gorillaz but I think the psychoactive substances I had likely consumed probably helped with that. Still can't get past people where I was standing not knowing who fucking Lou Reed was when he came out!

Seeing a Pyramid headliner is overrated. In 8 festivals I've seen 2 whole sets and two songs from another. I didn't like one of the complete sets and the other just felt like it was dragging on a bit.

It's all about a WH headliner for that quick scoot into the SE Corner. Though the older and arsier I get, the less I want to deal with headliners at all.

Just now, Untz said:

Seeing a Pyramid headliner is overrated. In 8 festivals I've seen 2 whole sets and two songs from another. I didn't like one of the complete sets and the other just felt like it was dragging on a bit.

It's all about a WH headliner for that quick scoot into the SE Corner. Though the older and arsier I get, the less I want to deal with headliners at all.

Good shout there. Other stage too is quite handy for that. We did that last year although there wasn't really a queue after New Order had finished, we walked straight in. Had a few pints on us so chilled for a bit before heading to Hell for the Apples at around 2/3am. Classic.

I enjoyed the Gorillaz set muchly and am unashamed about it. I was right down the front though and good lord it was loud.

Other then that only done a whole Pyramid set for the Stones and Adele. Wandered home up Muddy lane during 2 Coldplay outings and Kanye, saw a few songs of Metallica and walked round Muse on the way to Sigur Ros. That's it. I would have seen U2 and Bruce had I been there those years though.

14 minutes ago, mjsell said:

Still annoyed with myself for not leaving Kanye for Mothership - made up for it slightly with my Chems over the Who choice the next day. Still.. having only been 1 year and to have seen 1 pyramid headliner... and that headliner was Kanye.. makes me angry.

I need to get a bloody ticket to fix this.

Funnily enough that's what me and the missus did, lasted about 20 minutes at Kanye then ditched out to meet some mates who'd gone straight to WH

10 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Funnily enough that's what me and the missus did, lasted about 20 minutes at Kanye then ditched out to meet some mates who'd gone straight to WH

I need to get friends with better music tastes. All of them seemed very happy at Kanye. Who was probably the only act of the weekend that the whole exteneded group I was with were all together for. I find it difficult to leave circumstances like that - Yes I wanted to see someone else but I also want to spend the weekend with my mates (during the day I dont mind going off on my own at festivals but the later in the evening I'd raher be with the group)

1 hour ago, Alan_C said:

Have you never seen one before? Which years have you been?

This year will have been my 3rd on the trot mate. Watched about 5 mins of Kanye in passing and thats it.

1st year I would have watched Florence but she was on at same time as Hot Chip. I may have given Adele a watch last year, but she was up against New Order. If it is Foos, Ed Sheeran and Radiohead then there is no chance what so ever I will be seeing one this year.

4 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Fo sho.  Bangers to spare.

Though - as has been frequently been pointed out - her last lot of setlists show the need for a bit of minor cosmetic surgery.

I'm Coming Out
Baby Love
Stop! In the Name of Love
Come See About Me
You Can't Hurry Love
Love Child
Upside Down
Love Hangover
Why Do Fools Fall in Love
Do You Know Where You're Going To
Ain't No Mountain High Enough
I Will Survive

Seen loads of Pyramid headliners over the years, there's no better place to watch a major act.

04 - Oasis, McCartney, Muse (two great, Oasis piss poor)

05 - Killers (they were shite)

07 - Arctic Monkeys, The Who (both average)

09 - Blur (best headline set i've seen on that stage)

10 - Gorillaz, Stevie Wonder (Gorillaz bad, Wonder great)

11 - U2 (hated them), Coldplay (meh), Beyonce (watched a bit then went to QOTSA)

13 - Arctics, Stones, Mumfords (loved the first two, hated Mumfords)

14 - Arcade Fire (good), Kasabian (almost as bad as Oasis)

15 - The Who (why did i do that to myself?)

16 - Muse (see above), Adele (ace!), Coldplay (the bands looked cool)

That's 20.5 out of a possible 30. I may as well just buy a camping chair and blanket and have done with it.

A good Pyramid headliner is a thing of beauty. The Stones in 13 remains my favourite live music experience ever.

I get the whole "oh great, now I can spend more time elsewhere" argument but I've really missed not having one for the last two festivals. 

41 minutes ago, Untz said:

Yep this is the idea either that or head in later.  

Il be watching Radiohead this year, then heading to Arcadia to hang around there until techno Friday finishes about 3am,  then Il head to SE corner,  by that time it's easy enough to get in and about.  

It was only the Sunday night last year where I was in the SE Corner before then actually,  there's plenty to explore outwith it until 3am ish,  but if I'm really wanting to see something WH or heading in before the headliners finish is definitely the way to go 

I Will Survive can FRO.

Latest setlists are patchy.

Although I'd be keen to see her give Good Morning Heartache a go.

A good Pyramid headliner is a thing of beauty. The Stones in 13 remains my favourite live music experience ever.

Same for me and lots of others. Right up there with anything I've seen. Glorious times.

Edited by The Nal

27 minutes ago, mjsell said:

I need to get friends with better music tastes. All of them seemed very happy at Kanye. Who was probably the only act of the weekend that the whole exteneded group I was with were all together for. I find it difficult to leave circumstances like that - Yes I wanted to see someone else but I also want to spend the weekend with my mates (during the day I dont mind going off on my own at festivals but the later in the evening I'd raher be with the group)

Luckily our group was split pretty much 50/50 between the Pyramid and WH that night, made the decision much easier 

3 minutes ago, The Nal said:

I Will Survive can FRO.

Latest setlists are patchy.

Although I'd be keen to see her give Good Morning Heartache a go.

Those last 3 are grim. Medleys too. If she shuffles a few others towards the end you could happily leave with 6 or 7 songs to go.