Headliner predictions 2017

swede

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Funkyfairy! said:

My disppointment, if the rumours are true, is that there are 3 white male dominated headliners - the one thing I was hoping that Glastonbury had or was trying to move away from

I'm absolutely all for equal opportunities for female headliners, but i couldn't get behind unnecessarily pushing a female act into a headline slot when it's not the best possible booking for the festival 

Gaga and Diana Ross look to take two big slots on the pyramid, there's no doubt that females will still be well represented 

4 minutes ago, addicted2noise said:

Is Ed Sheeran worthy of headlining when his albums are done with a revolving door of co-writers? It obviously works but it's sort of like a victory for his record label rather than him.

Auteur theory generally doesn't hold in music - it's a collaborative medium.

2 hours ago, BeddyDriver said:

I have just received some info that has "A Tribe Called Quest" as one of the Pyramid headliners, along with the Foos, and Radiohead

Cant say where I git this from, but I have no reason to disbelieve it as this source has been right the last 3 years !

I dont even know who they are ??? So i rather hope its wrong !

A lot of people here will be dearly hoping you have the band right and the stage wrong, me included. It'd be an amazing night, bun the Pyramid.

I remember Lauren Laverene interviewing some prattling mug on her show a few years ago, she was from a non-music medium like writing books or w/e and she started waxing lyric about how totally amahzing yah dahling Ed Sheeran's new album was, and Lauren had to be all like "hmmmm, mmmmm" keeping shtum like she didn't think Ed Sheeran was complete and total shit.

15 minutes ago, addicted2noise said:

Is Ed Sheeran worthy of headlining when his albums are done with a revolving door of co-writers? It obviously works but it's sort of like a victory for his record label rather than him.

If we were discussing the fact his music gets nominated for and wins Grammy's, this would matter

Edited by Zac Quinn

27 minutes ago, russycarps said:

It matters in so far as it's ace when your favourite band of the weekend is headlining the sunday, as it gives you something to look forward too all weekend, and no matter how good a time you are having, you know something even better is still to come. 

For this reason, I really hope flaming lips are headlining on the sunday somewhere (if they play)

LCD this year was absolutely perfect for that. Wonderful gig and crowd to end a weekend with.

Similar this year would be welcomed.

Edited by strummer77

21 minutes ago, Funkyfairy! said:

My disppointment, if the rumours are true, is that there are 3 white male dominated headliners - the one thing I was hoping that Glastonbury had or was trying to move away from

technically, gingers are neither white nor male. They only share 44% of the DNA of a human.

7 minutes ago, addicted2noise said:

Of course but why is he being marketed as a solo act then? It just feels a little cynical.

By this logic Muse are a solo act and Beyonce is a choir. Whether someone is a solo act or a group is and always has been - with the exception of weird ambiguities like Florence and the Machine - defined by how many people are in the spotlight on stage. Come on now

Edited by Zac Quinn

11 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

A lot of people here will be dearly hoping you have the band right and the stage wrong, me included. It'd be an amazing night, bun the Pyramid.

I remember Lauren Laverene interviewing some prattling mug on her show a few years ago, she was from a non-music medium like writing books or w/e and she started waxing lyric about how totally amahzing yah dahling Ed Sheeran's new album was, and Lauren had to be all like "hmmmm, mmmmm" keeping shtum like she didn't think Ed Sheeran was complete and total shit.

well i dont trust lauren laverene, she blocked me on twitter for disagreeing beyonce was a good headliner haha

18 minutes ago, Mezhyp1 said:

I'm absolutely all for equal opportunities for female headliners, but i couldn't get behind unnecessarily pushing a female act into a headline slot when it's not the best possible booking for the festival 

Gaga and Diana Ross look to take two big slots on the pyramid, there's no doubt that females will still be well represented 

Basically this.

All things should be equal, but there's no point trying to shoehorn somebody in (perhaps unfairly) purely to satisfy the quota so to speak. In fact it can do more damage than help.

If there's only white male headliners about, then that's a problem with the industry (as we all know) rather than a problem with Glastonbury.

1 hour ago, The Orgazoid said:

Mumfords were huge at the time though weren't they? I actually like Kasabian. Recent output hasn't been great but they put on a good live show. Although I don't think they were, or ever will be the right shout to close the festival. 

Are you trying to suggest Foo Fighters aren't huge? They're probably the biggest modern day band worldwide after Coldplay. They're bigger than The Who, Kasabian and Mumford and Sons.

13 minutes ago, EamerRed said:

Basically this.

All things should be equal, but there's no point trying to shoehorn somebody in (perhaps unfairly) purely to satisfy the quota so to speak. In fact it can do more damage than help.

If there's only white male headliners about, then that's a problem with the industry (as we all know) rather than a problem with Glastonbury.

People talk about Hip-Hop the industry like it's some giant living in the hillside
coming down to visit the townspeople
We are Hip-Hop the industry
Me, you, everybody, we are Hip-Hop the industry
So Hip-Hop the industry is going where we going
So the next time you ask yourself where Hip-Hop the industry is going
ask yourself.. where am I going? How am I doing?