Headliner predictions 2017

swede

I like to think that I'm quite open minded about music and appreciate a fair bit of hip hop and modern R&B but I can't begin to understand Drake. He is one of many who seem to have grown in popularity by singing without tone or rhythm and yet he'd one of the most popular artists in the world. I genuinely feel like he is the first artist to make me feel old, at the ripe age of 28. 

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely too soon for Arctic Monkeys, said they aren't going back into the studio for a while. After the next fallow year for them I'd have thought. I'm still going with Radiohead, Sheeran and pinning my hopes on The Stone Roses finally playing the Pyramid 

6 hours ago, jparx said:

I was pretty much disregarding that comment about 4 of the headliners from '16 and '17 having headlined before.

How about:

Radiohead

Ed Sheeran

Macca

;)

Saw Macca at his Christmas homecoming show at the O2 Academy in Liverpool in 2010. Was mindbogglingly surreal seeing him in a 1200 capacity venue, only thing I can think of that could possibly come close to that show would be catching him on the pyramid. So I'm down with that.

I wouldn't be against Arctics or Blur again, but I do think bands should wait until they have at least two new albums of material to make it more of an event. Headlining album after album is a bit much. 

By those bands standards, two albums would be quite a gap!

I still can't get past the idea of Radiohead / Ed (groan) / Stone Roses for next year. 

3 hours ago, DropBeat said:

I wouldn't be against Arctics or Blur again, but I do think bands should wait until they have at least two new albums of material to make it more of an event. Headlining album after album is a bit much. 

By those bands standards, two albums would be quite a gap!

I still can't get past the idea of Radiohead / Ed (groan) / Stone Roses for next year. 

Has a band ever returned to headline without having two new albums of material?

Closest I can think is Coldplay 2002-2005, who had released two albums, but one of them came out just after their 2002 headline set so obviously they were already touring in support of it.

Both Muse and Coldplay had two new albums between their last appearances and this year.

4 hours ago, Will-2609 said:

Has a band ever returned to headline without having two new albums of material?

Closest I can think is Coldplay 2002-2005, who had released two albums, but one of them came out just after their 2002 headline set so obviously they were already touring in support of it.

Both Muse and Coldplay had two new albums between their last appearances and this year.

The Who who returned with no new albums, but they don't count for numerous reasons, and REM 1998 > 2003 who'd only released one new album in between performances. in every other 'recent' case i think they've had at least two new albums to play from. but of course Arctics released AM after their Glastonbury performance so could well (and probably will) end up headlining in 2018 if the festival is on that year (i'm assuming a new album won't be out in time for 2017)

5 hours ago, eastynh said:

Liam Gallagher is making noises again in respect to Oasis. Would rather Oasis than the Stone Roses.

The Stone Roses would have to be pretty dire to be as bad as the last two times Oasis played Glastonbury. They were absolutely shockingly bad, only in 1994 where they any good at all.

4 hours ago, kalifire said:

Absolutely no way Noel would agree to that without HFB securing a prominent position (headline/sub) first.

i think the ship might have sailed on that one. you'd think if both he and the festival were interested it would've happened by now. maybe offers from elsewhere were better or he thought he should be headlining rather than subbing

One some of the betting websites there are some strange acts you can bet on. This is for "Saturday night headliner". Coming in at 20/1 is... Coldplay. 

Ed Sheeran is the favourite for the Saturday at 4/1. Daft Punk 5/1
Then all of Foos, Guns N Roses, Kasabian at 7/1

Some outsiders you can bet on are Madonna and Calvin Harris (separately, not as a double act...).

I'd be happy with Ed Sheeran, Daft Punk (especially) and Foos from the above.

2 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

One some of the betting websites there are some strange acts you can bet on. This is for "Saturday night headliner". Coming in at 20/1 is... Coldplay. 

Very silly. They're obviously going to be the Sunday night house band forever more.

On 22/8/2016 at 9:44 PM, FloorFiller said:

KOL aren't gonna headline the G again - at least not any time soon. maybe somewhere down the line when they have some kind of nostalgic renaissance, but right now i just don't see them ramping up enough excitement for it to make sense

not sure I agree with that.

This is the festival that gave us Muse this year, another band slogging away with ever diminishing returns. KoL's last few albums have done better in the UK than Muse's, and arguably better performing singles too.

Plus KoL haven't played the festival since before they became properly commercially big with Sex on Fire etc.

new album just announced yesterday as well, coming out in October.

it wouldn't be a particularly inspired booking, but I certainly wouldn't rule it out.

7 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

not sure I agree with that.

This is the festival that gave us Muse this year, another band slogging away with ever diminishing returns. KoL's last few albums have done better in the UK than Muse's, and arguably better performing singles too.

Plus KoL haven't played the festival since before they became properly commercially big with Sex on Fire etc.

new album just announced yesterday as well, coming out in October.

it wouldn't be a particularly inspired booking, but I certainly wouldn't rule it out.

Muse are pals with Glastonbury and Glastonbury had a big part in giving them the boost up, as well as being a homegrown act (a-la Coldplay and Arctics). although Glastonbury were one of the first to give KOL the bump up to headliner, they don't seem to have felt the need to book them since. unless this new album has another huge single like Sex on Fire that propels them back to the forefront of music, i just don't see it, especially if the headliners were booked/pencilled in at the same time as this years some time ago. i imagine it'll be TITP (which they haven't done since 2009 surprisingly) or V as per usual

Edited by FloorFiller

Even if you find their music hollow and shrill - as I do - Muse have a reputation as a live act with all sorts of bells and whistles.  They provide spectacle and even casual punters can usually get on board with all their drums made out of lasers and guitars made out of tinsel.

In contrast, Kings of Leon's live reputation is in the bargain bin.  The Ginsters Pastie of rock'n'roll.