Madabout G

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, H.M.V said:

Tina Turner or Diana Ross would definitely mean I would rock up for a legends slot. Either would be fantastic.  

River deep would be magnificent on the pyramid.  

1 hour ago, muddychick said:

We were just discussing the possibility of Tina Turner. I believe she still performs and would fit the legend slot magnificently. 

Yeah, that's a good shout. Rather Turner than Ross.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

4 hours ago, sabre-toothed tart said:

OMG that's like me saying Radiohead's only good song is Creep :lol:.  She's done loads of good solo songs - Touch me in the morning, I'm coming out, Upside down, Endless love (well not strictly solo), I'm still waiting, Love hangover etc.  Chain reaction was a huge 80's hit too. I agree nothing much since then though but she'd still have more than enough material with the Supremes stuff too to fill that slot.  Perhaps I just know a lot of them, my mum used to listen a lot so I've kind of grown up with her. xx

My mum loves Diana Ross too, her music was the backdrop to my childhood, would be very special for me to see her at the festival.
Charm x

I think the thing that will probably make Lionel unbeatable for this slot is that by this stage he's basically a collection of memes in human form, who actually seems to be in on the joke. In a way there's no one more perfect for the post-irony slot he was booked for to follow Dolly.

Gibb would smash it though, and Turner and Ross both definitely have the tunes.

8 minutes ago, arcade fireman said:

When did the legends spot thing start by the way? Was it the 2005 Brian Wilson gig? 

92 or 94, depending on who you talk to would be the most common answers.

Although they skipped 2003 and the exact spot within the bill has changed slightly in some years - while it's usually 4th from top, it's occasionally been 3rd or 5th and the typical start time has changed as the Festival now has much longer breaks between sets than it used to especially towards the top of the bill.

Whilst she would be a great choice, Tina Turner hasn't performed a concert since 2009 (according to setlist.fm). She's 76 now and I wouldn't have thought she has any desire to return to gigging after such a long gap. Have any recent Legend Slot performers not played Glastonbury when on a tour of Europe?

Barry Gibb, Diana Ross or George Michael would be fine for me.

8 minutes ago, BlackHole2006 said:

Another one in the Diana Ross camp here!

Although I reckon she could be given a full hour and a half headline slot, the amount of hits she has. West Holts headline please!

I would be all over Diana for a West Holts headliner! West Holts is made for disco!

7 hours ago, Justiceforcedave said:

Given Michael's love for The Eagles, Don Henley would be great in that slot (just seen him at Hyde Park).

How was Carole King? She got the chops for a Glastonbury headline set or even the legends??

19 hours ago, Badlands said:

Absolutely no chance that Madge would allow her ego to accept anything other than a headline slot, no matter how it's sold. 

Yup. And even headlining she'd be unlikely to do a greatest hits set.  She's like Mick jagger circa 1986, with a vastly over inflated sense of her own contemporary relevance. 

Tina Turner is retired.